Phone switched automatically to online-mode without user intervention

Hello everybody,

since two weeks I am proud to own a Smartphone with /e/OS, but now I have a problem and need help.

I have the following phone: Fairphone 4 with /e/OS, preinstalled by /e/-company (“Murena-Phone”), i.e. ready to use.

It comes with /e/OS-version 1.2, then I directly updated it (automatically by system) to version 1.3. The phone works fine. A few days ago I updated it to the new release of /e/OS (version 1.4). So far so good.

And now the problem I recognized yesterday:

• I put my phone at the kitchentable and went to my sofa to relax and read a book. Wifi-status of the phone = off. MobileData = off. So the phone was offline from internet and only available for SMS or “normal phonecalls”.

• After a few minutes I heard the sound from phone, which is played when I get messages. Because the phone was offline, I thougt this must be a SMS. A few minutes later the same message-sound again. So I expected 2 SMS.

• After ca. 30 minutes of relaxing and reading my book I went to kitchen and checked my phone for the new messages (2 SMS I expected). But the two messages were not SMS. One message came via signal-messenger, the other via Wire-messenger. That was weired, because this programs can only receive messages, when the phone is online, i.e. connected to the internet (wifi or mobile data).

• Then I immidiately checked the wifi-status and the mobile-data-status. both symbols were OFF, as expected. So my phone was OFFline I thought.

• Without changing the wifi- or mobiledata-status I opened the chromium-browser and the result was: I could surf throught the internet, so I was NOT offline. I checked the wifi-status and the mobile-data-status again. Both symbols are still unmarked, i.e. off!!

• A few minutes later the phone was really offline, without changing any settings. The browser said “no internet” for example. So the phone returned automatically to the expected status, i.e. to the status I set the phone.

I conclude: The phone switched to online-mode by itself. The online-mode was NOT shown in the menu, i.e. wifi and mobiledata were shown as “off”. I recognized that, because the phone received this two messages.

This is really strange I think and it must NOT happen with such a “safe”-phone with /e/OS. From my point of view, this is a severe problem!!

I now checked the settings of the phone and the settings of the signal-messenger and the wire-messenger. I found no setting active, that allows the phone or the signal-/wire-messenger to switch to online-mode automatically.

By the way: The problem appears after updating the /e/OS to version 1.4. But this might be fortuity.

Has anyone an idea? Thanks for your help!

Hello,

Was Advanced Privacy “Hide my IP” active ?
Can you reproduce with Advanced Privacy deactivated (a reboot may be needed) ?

1 Like

weird! Can’t find something at the fairphone forum that fits your description, you might post it there even if its /e/ related.

Would be interesting to see logcat while switching the quicksettings for wifi and mobiledata on/off, some error that indicates the switch isnt working

Hi guys, thanks for your response!

Until now the mysterious behaviour I described above did not occur again. Since last week I received only a few messages via “Signal messenger” or “Wire messenger” (1-4 per day…). But this messages my smartphone received “in the normal way”. I.e.: Wifi=off and MobileData=off >> no new messages in my inbox. If Wifi or MobileData switched to “on” >> new messages were delivered to the messengers inbox.

At the moment I would say it was a “single event” after the OS-update so far… I guess it is a “bug” in “Signal messenger” or “Wire messenger” or in “/e/ OS”. I cannot reproduce it. But I will observe it! Yesterday I installed an update for the signal messenger…

@smu44: “Hide my IP” was inactive. I don’t use this option because of the resulting slowed internet speed. If the problem occurs again and if it is reproducable I will deactivate “Advanced privacy” as you suggested and observe the behaviour.

@tcecyk: Oh, I think using “logcat” requires a little effort for me and my skills. If the “bug” occurs again and if it is reproducable I will think about it. If I understand it correctly I can record/view the log only in “real time” so I have no chance to see log-entries from last week or so.

Thank you again for your help! I’ll report to you if the “bug” comes back.

Perhaps anybody else has observed the same problem?! Please let me know!

Yes, logcat is realtime, but holds a buffer for errors. My thinking is: just using the quicksettings to en-/disable can hint at an issue properly disabling one of the links

I forgot - there is also “wifi wakeup”, enabled by default in Android 9 / Pie as in

• Settings → Network & Internet → Wi-Fi → Wi-Fi Preferences → Turn on Wi-Fi automatically.

• which needs “Wi-Fi scanning” enabled in Settings → Location → Scanning

see