Phone to Buy for /e/?

It would be really useful to have an automatic, yet optional feature like this on eOS !

1 Like

Hi,
I’ve been using a Samsung Galaxy 7 SM-G930F/W for a year now and has been working great to say the least, just for my input and I think I only paid $130 for the device.

With root, you can use ACCA.

Works pretty well, though not perfectly. I mostly use it for overnight so it doesn’t sit and charge from 99-100 all night.

My night settings keep it between 20-80, my daytime 40-85 (more important during day to have charge, so I trade some wear).

2 Likes

Which was a big lie, the Galaxy S5 is waterproof, has removable battery and removable SD. It feels like it’s the last high end phone like that.

2 Likes

Batteries for the Oneplus 7 pro are available from oneplus themselves. Their website says $11 + tax.

Link pls @anon84098008 ??

Where? I can’t find them.

Hi,

I re-open this topic because I am planning to buy a new smartphone and would like to know which brands are actively supported and developed by /e/OS ? For example, between OnePlus and Sony, should I avoid one because it might not be updated in the future?
Thanks in advance,

Sony make excellent phones, and they actively support developers of custom ROMs through their Sony Open Devices project

If you really need a brand new phone, then check which recent Sony devices are officially supported by LinegaeOS. If there’s an official LOS build then it is easy to build /e/OS, either officially or unofficially.

Personally, I’m happy with older devices: “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle” :wink:

/e/ don’t actively develop for any brands or manufacturers (though they do work closely with Fairphone). They build for pretty much all brands. When it comes to continued support, then check on the Smartphone Selector page and go for one of the models which has an S build. The chances are they will continue to support it for a good long time

Thanks for your corrections, I indeed didn’t use the right words :wink:

Very useful advices, thanks!

I am also happy with older devices for many reasons (cost, size, …) and try to keep it as long as possible. I currently own a Samsung S7 and would be really happy to keep using it, but it is way too fragile. Resistance is actually a important creterium to choose a phone and there is little amount of information (tests) on the internet.