Random Wifi disconnection on FP2 and FP3

We are using two phones (FP2, FP3+) with /e/OS at home and have the same issue. Both phones randomly disconnect from our Wifi. Sometimes the home wifi cannot be found for some seconds. In all cases: The wifi signal strength is good or very good, no issues with the router, no matter if phone is actively used or passive.
I could not find similar issue descriptions here, so I am curious if this only happens to us.

Would be nice if a future OS update could fix that.

Which router model do you use exactly? And on which OS version is it?
Do you have control over the Wi-Fi settings, or does a provider configure that part of the box?

Your router should offer a setup interface you can access via your browser.
You should be able to see the router OS version as well as live connection parameters for your devices and the Wi-Fi network, e.g. whether your devices use the 2.4 GHz band or the 5 GHz band, which standard was used for the connection (802.11b/g/n/a/ac), or which channel your Wi-Fi network uses for each band.

Some hints I came across to get you started:

Fairphone 2:

For the 2,4 GHz band, make sure the Wi-Fi standard is set to e.g. 802.11g+n or similar (802.11b has been observed to perhaps cause such connection drops).

Fairphone 3:

For the 5 GHz band, make sure the router uses a channel below 116. The easiest way should be to set a fixed channel instead of letting the router choose automatically. Start with e.g. channel 36 and only increase the setting when necessary.
Depending on the router model and OS version, the router might discard the fixed setting once it encounters too much interference on the channel, so for a while you will need to keep an eye on that. The router might log this in its event log, but when you experience connection drops again and the router doesn’t use the channel you set anymore, it’s safe to assume this was the case.

If the channel setting doesn’t help for the 5 GHz band, have a look at the standard. Try whether 802.11ac gives you any trouble by choosing a setting without it for a start.

3 Likes

Dear AnotherElk,

I am using a FRITZ!Box 7490, the internal OS version of it is 7.01. I have the control to change the setting.

So, when I checked all internal connected devices, I also found both phones. For both I could find the following preference information:
5 GHz / ac / 80 MHz
WPA2, 1 x 1
11k, 11v

But I found also the general wifi settings that were on auto. I selected manual and use now

• WLAN-Standard 2,4-GHz: 802.11n+g
  • WLAN-Standard 5-GHz: 802.11n+ac
  • 2,4-GHz-Frequency: Auto
  • 5-GHz-Frequency: Channel 36

I have no idea what I have done, but I hope it will help.

I’m using a FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable on OS version 7.20. So I’m pretty much using what I wrote above.
As long as the box keeps the fixed channel setting for the 5 GHz band, it’s all good for both Fairphones for me, but it doesn’t stay that way. At some point the box decides to leave the fixed channel and automatically goes back to a channel above 116 (while still displaying the fixed channel setting), and then the connection drops start again. Will probably have to write to AVM support about that.

I can perfectly understand the box changing the channel because of interference, but either I want to have it stay in a range of channels I’m setting, or I want it to go back to the fixed channel once it scans the channels again (which it does in intervals) and sees the interference is gone.
Sometimes I just don’t get it :slight_smile: .

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.