Really like /e/ but

Why is Mozilla Location Service lacking precision in your area? Therefore, it lacks location samples, and it was enough to install Mozilla Stumbler and travel around your own area to collect information for this service to improve the quality. Google collects this information and most don’t even know it, which is why even without using GPS alone, after wifi, bt, and cell stations it is able to locate your position much more accurately.

@szmehdi - You are correct. There isn’t an independent app market built in Lineage, but from what I’ve read, the /e/ version doesn’t work very well. Like I said, you don’t have to install GApps, but if you want to use apps that require Google services, you at least need MicroG. There are many app store alternatives that work great already like F-Droid, Aurora Store, APKPure or download the APK directly from a trusted source like apkmirror. You can install whatever apps you want with any of these.

Also, Lineage is stable and available for a lot more phones than /e/. /e/ has been in beta for over a year now and shows little sign of getting better. Devices are left hanging with issues for months on end with no resolution or some devices aren’t supported because they’re focusing on other devices. Maybe it’s because it’s a super small team of devs working on this. I don’t know. I just know that I’ve tried it, had issues and was told that support was being directed towards other devices. If my device isn’t being supported by /e/ anymore but is being supported by Lineage, it’s a no brainer which OS I’m going to use.

1 Like

I’m sorry @Manoj. I didn’t know the amount of work that went into this. I had no idea of how great the /e/ account integration is. I just used the e.email service and am very impressed. I’ve put /e/ on my phone and am going to give it another try!

2 Likes

Hello,
this subject is to be considered with a lot of attention.
A phone is a major tool/assistant of every dau life.
More and more application bring new services.
In that situation /e/ appstore must provide a big choice of up to date application.
That’s the two weak point of the project at this point.
I use to use my /e/ phone with revolut application which is mandatory to use my bank account . The new version of apps must be installed (the old one does work anymore) but it is not available on /e/ apps store the only way I found to bring it is raccoon. But I can’t succeed in making it work.
Recently I receive a new internet box (freebox delta) and one more time I don’t find freebox comapnion apps on the /a/ appstore. There are more and more exemple every day and more and more phone base banking applications are coming. I think it could become a major problem that causes people to give up /e/

Racoon and Aurora App Store App can easily fill this gap.

Hello b3pio,
Unfortunately not now.
Most application are still based on Google services (I imagine) as Revolut, Chargemap, Yuka, and so others.
The project is not mature enough for my needs so I (painfully) revert my phone OS to android.
Is there a way to install /e/ application on android, it should work where is the apk repository ?
I would like to still use contact an mail application that perfectly covers my needs ?

All default /e/-OS apps can be found in either F-Droid or Google Play Store.
The mail app is a fork of K9-Mail: https://f-droid.org/de/packages/com.fsck.k9/
The contact app is just the default android contact application. You could transfer the apk from an existing installation or build it yourself from sourcecode. Not sure if it can be downloaded directly from a store.

However, I don’t understand why you can’t use Aurora Store to download your banking apps. /e/ also has microG installed by default which allows apps relying on the proprietary Google Play Services to run. If your phone is not rooted, banking apps should not make any problems at all.

Thanks for the link to OpenFoodFacts ! very interesting

1 Like

Jonath08,
I sometimes had the same frustrations.
I would say that /e/ keeps improving and I have much less issues with Apps than in a recent past.
Beside, I have changed my habits, and move the usage of some services to my desktop instead of my phone.
This way helps me to keep my phone as “clean” as I need (and agree to compromise), and i let the more data-hungry services to firefox on my pc.
Nothing is completely black and white, but even unperfect, i won’t give up /e/ now.
On the contrary several of my friends are considering switching.

2 Likes

Be careful with Waze as it belongs to google.
Google has bought Waze some time ago, it’s like using google maps.