Refurbished Samsung S7 from the e.foundation [update 13.08.2019]

Hello everybody,

This will be a " rolling" review as in: I’ll try to update the first post while I’m (finally) testing the refurbished S7 that I bought from the e.foundation. Got the phone on July 29th, but the real testing started approx. August 11th.

Follow me on my Journey!

Delivery:
The delivery was done in a sturdy box. The custom box of the e.foundation is very colorful. The promises they also make on the site are on there (1year warranty, tested battery, unlocked, etc.). In the box also is a thank-you-note from @gael and the e.foundation. Nice touch.

Beside some stickers, a short manual, charger and a set of new headphone there is not much in the box.

Device
The refurbished phone itself is of good quality: no marks or anything can be found on the device.

Although the S7 is a approximately 3 year old device, its still fast. Faster then my Nokia 7 Plus that is going to replace / life a long side with. The CPU can still hold up with today’s standards. Although I don’t play (much) games, until now I had no stutters or anything.
The camera still preforms nicely, call quality is fine too.

Software
The de-googled Android - eOS or is it /e/ ? - is operating fast. One can tell its an older Android build, especially coming from a recent Android One phone running Android version 9.
The launcher has that iOS feel: it’s probably not everybody’s cup of tea (sort of speak).

The version I’m currently running is:

Apps / App-store
The standard apps are all there: messages, contacts, phone, gallery, clock, etc. Enough to get you started and have a functional phone. There are some issues with applications: see issues.

The App store is a mix off all kind of apps. The e.foundation works hard to fill it and have all of today’s apps. Even the once I’m trying to stay away from: Whats-app, Facebook, Instagram and so one.
The privacy will be gone once you install this, but I get the idea / thoughts behind this: have a great and broad app selection available. Trying to avoid the Windows phone tragedy… (a.k.a. the App-Gap).

To give you some control back and to watch your privacy, they guys (and girls) of the e.foundation have a rating system in place. Further more there are lists of the used trackers and permissions.

The updates on the App store are a bit absent at the moment: I cant see any updates since I booted the phone: @gael & @Manoj is this an know issue?

[13.08.2019]
The Aurora store is an good alternative: after updates with this store, the MAPS and AH app are working.

Issues
App-store updates: they seem to be non-excising at this point.

MAPS: the standard Maps for navigation on the build isn’t working. I’m getting an error of being out of date. This is a known issue, which you could get around with installing an other App-store. However the app-store needed is asking for login/account details. No thanks.

To get around the MAPS issue: though F-Droid I got OsmAnd~. After figuring out how to use this particular app, I could navigate.*
[13.08.2019] After the remark of @PoorPocketsMcNewHold : Installed the Aurora store, via FDroid. MAPS app opens, no navigation tested yet.
There is an option to login “anonymous”: NO LOGIN REQUIRED!

AH “Appie”: (not so privacy friendly, but handy) shopping app for the local (Dutch) supermarket. This keeps on crashing / giving me errors. “Wait to reload” or " the app has stopped".

[13.08.2019]
After updating with Aurora the app works.

Battery life
Last night I’ve charged the S7: it went “green” (notification LED) at 90% battery.
I know its a refurbished device and it could well be that the battery is a bit older. But i could also be a bug in the Android software itself. I’ll keep an eye on this over the next few days. Maybe battery life improves after some use.

[13.08.2019]
This seems to be a one time issue. At this moment the phone charges to 100%.
The battery life is nice, but coming from a Nokia 7 plus (with big battery) it’s again getting used too :sweat_smile:

Echo issue [13.08.2019]
There are some threats on the forum talking about this: some callers complain about this, not all.

Daily life with the eOS enabled S7

Change log

2019.08.11 Start of this threat
2019.08.13 Added Echo / Added info about battery
2019.08.13 Workaround MAPS / Aurora Store / AH
2 Likes

Thanks for the post and the feedback @Rikk.

1 Like

MAPS : the standard Maps for navigation on the build isn’t working. I’m getting an error of being out of date. This is a known issue, which you could get around with installing an other App-store. However the app-store needed is asking for login/account details. No thanks.

Oh ! The Aurora Store/Yalp store way ! Both actually let you use anonymous accounts, so i recommend you usong those (The only purpose of using an account is to recover paid apps from the G Store.)

2 Likes

Hi @PoorPocketsMcNewHold,

The aurora store I knew about: the Yelp store is new to me. I’ll look into this. Thanks!

Well, The Aurora Store is actually a fork of Yalp Store.
It’s majorly just a design change, but i think that Aurora Store is now more updated and supported.
Feel free to use however, It’s mostly the same thing.

2 Likes

I could never connect anonymously to Yalp, however Aurora works flawless for me anonymously. Never plan on logging my goolag into it. All my previous ‘paid’ apps were a small sacrifice when nuking my goolag account, most despite being paid were infested with trackers anyway…

3 Likes