Register now for your first smartphone with /e/!

Hi @tom, You can always add suggestions on the devices you would want /e/ pre - installed on. We will figure out a way to get it to you with /e/ on it.

1 Like

Hi @Manoj

Thanks! I will do so as soon as I get requests from my friends.

Tom

I know this is already a very ambitious project, but please put USA supported devices into the timeline.

I’m not a novice and have a device with Lineage that took many hours to get (almost) perfected. If I could get a phone with privacy already built-in and already fully sorted it would be attractive. We’re a big market here and I’m sure I’m not alone.

The issue I ran into, despite being careful, is with the carriers. It seems that most require VoLTE for data+voice simultaneously. The number of devices that have Lineage builds which can do this seems to be very small. A properly sorted /e/ where “everything” including VoLTE works would be a big time/hassle saver and should find a market.

1 Like

It’s Friday, I didn’t see where to make a firm order

@GaelDuval , @Manoj ,

Stop doing this. Stop promising delivery dates, and blowing past them like it’s no big deal. This is one of the worst things you can do with a software project. If you are not sure about timeline, not confident of the date … SAY SO.

In this thread alone …

1. on May 10th … @GaelDuval promised deliveries in early June.
  2. I know how hard it is to predict these things – I specifically asked about that, and @Manoj confirmed “confident the timeline will be met”.
  3. After you missed the first deadline, on June 16th I asked again. @Manoj said, start taking orders this week, deliveries before end of June.
  4. On June 28th, @sdm94 asked about it, and @alexis promised (8 days ago), one week max before you start taking orders.
  5. On Tuesday, July 2nd, @GaelDuval promised orders start on Wed or Thurs (24-48 hours).
  6. On Thursday, the newsletter came out, pushing the order date back to the IT-cliched “early next week”.

I apologize for calling you out like this, in public … but the team keeps making these promises, in public. The issue should be addressed publicly.

2 Likes

Hi @rainbird I agree the date has slipped a number of times. Also agree we should only declare when the actual delivery starts. Will keep this page updated with what is happening.

1 Like

Hey, @Manoj , I just realized something … this “refurbished phones” program is /e/'s first venture into hardware. Prior to this, everything you’ve been doing has been 100% software.

My previous criticism, I think, stands … but with the caveat that producing & delivering an actual, physical product is a whole 'nother animal, dealing with supply chains and material shortages and what-not. Y’all cannot just magically beam my Galaxy ePhone to me through the Internet pipes.

So, yeah … y’all need to be careful what you promise. But we should try to be patient, as you work out the kinks (and carry those lessons with you, into the “mail us your phone” venture, too).

r

Hi @rainbird agree that we need to tame this new ‘animal’ …sales of ePhones refurbished. We are also learning a few lessons on the way. Being dependent on external vendors with their promises and timelines .
Will update once the actual deliveries start.

1 Like

Hi @rainbird, thanks for calling us out around our promised delivery dates.

We recognize that pulling all strings to get the smartphone ready to be purchased has taken more time that what we had anticipated. I’d like to publicly apologize for that.

Whether it is a software or hardware release, we should be more careful with our announcement dates and transparent if those are tentative or the effective plan.

At the same time, we have been careful not to ask money for pre-orders as the launch date was not sure at the time. We didn’t want to be perceived as getting the money in advance and never delivering.
We have done our due diligence, and yes over a longer time than planned, to find the right sourcing partner, make sure the products are flashed seamlessly and ready to be used, make sure the packaging and shipping process works and make sure anyone can purchase securely and easily.

We have a few additional details to finalize early next week to start opening orders to folks who have registered.
Hope that helps.

4 Likes

Sales of the /e/ refurbished phones start
https://twitter.com/gael_duval/status/1148624137331630080

Hi @rico,
it really depends when you have registered your interest.
FYI, we are looking to ramp up our stock levels and targeting to open to all by September. This isn’t a firm commitment but our goal.
We will share more info later as we make progress.
Best regards.
Alexis

3 Likes

I hope I’m not jumping the gun here, for the /e/-Team …

I got my “come buy your ePhone” email invite yesterday, around 17:00. I had a bit of trouble getting my payment processed (so far, their only payment service is thru PayPal, and we don’t get along), but after a few rounds of “card declined, try another”–“but it’s valid, I’m running out of cards”, I did finally get my order completed.

Per the /e/-Team, most orders got processed w/o issue (I’m just lucky) … and my ePhone should be on its way.

@Manoj , @alexis , is it okay to continue posting progress reports in this thread, or should I start a new one?

ps: Thanx, guys.

Please continue posting here

First units just went out the door!

6 Likes

Congrats for the hard work /e/ team!!!

A post was merged into an existing topic: /e/ pre-installed Grade A smartphones : How to buy them

First /e/ smartphone (premium grade, 4 different models) now publicly available for order! (EU only for now).
Taste a more ethical mobile experience now! :relaxed:
https://e.foundation/e-pre-installed-refurbished-smartphones/

2 Likes