Roomservice.xml for FP3 custom build

Hey people,
I would like to build /e/ for my FP3 following @harvey186 instructions.

The problem is, I can’t figure out how the roomservice.xml should look like for the FP3. I found some vendor stuff etc. on the /e/ gitlab, but I failed to put together a working file. Can somebody give me some hints or provide a working file for the FP3?
This will hopefully be my first custom build, so please be patient, I am still learning…

Try with this…

<project name="e/devices/android_kernel_fairphone_FP3" path="kernel/fairphone/sdm632" remote="e" revision="v1-pie" />
<project name="e/devices/android_device_fairphone_FP3" path="device/fairphone/FP3" remote="e" revision="v1-pie" />
<project name="picomatic/proprietary_vendor_fairphone" path="vendor/fairphone" remote="github" revision="v1-pie" />
<project name="LineageOS/android_packages_resources_devicesettings" path="packages/resources/devicesettings" remote="github" revision="lineage-16.0" />

Here the original manifest from e.foundation

Change this line:
<project name="picomatic/proprietary_vendor_fairphone" path="vendor/fairphone" remote="github" revision="2.A.0120" />

What’s the difference to the original eOS version?

Vendor is a private repo, you can’t access it. I extracted vendor from original Fairphone ROM.

1 Like

Mhm, I thought eOS is open source :thinking::thinking::thinking:

I asked why, but got no answer.

Typical,. …’’’’…

Thank you very much guys!
I will try with the original file but the vendor line changed like @andrelam suggested.
Maybe @Manoj can explain, why the “official” vendor repository is only private? Since people are officially encouraged to build ROMs themselves, it is strange, that not all necessary sources are made available…

I think vendor 2.A.0120 is still the latest version. BTW you can extract vendor files yourself from the latest /e/ FP3 ROM. Just run this script. It will extract and mount system, vendor and product. Then you run extract-files.sh <path> (script will show the correct command) in your device folder.

1 Like

The idea is to have all the source code in the public domain. Not sure if this restriction comes as part of our partnership. Will check on this and get back.

2 Likes

@Manoj any news on this topic?

1 Like

@Manoj: The vendor part is still a private repository. Waiting for your update on this…

1 Like

The answer is we do not build them but get them off a FP3 image. So every time there is a FP release we sync both the sources and the proprietary blobs.
Users who want to build FP3 will also have to follow the same process and pull the files from the latest /e/ FP3 ROM or FP3 stock depending on what you are trying to build.

Sorry but that does not answer the question. After /e/ extract’s the files you put them in a private repo, why not make it public? Now users must extract the files /e/ already did, why?
this repo: project name=“e/devices/android_vendor_fairphone_FP3” path=“vendor/fairphone/FP3” remote=“e-priv” /

2 Likes

This is similar to the situation with Xiaomi devices where the files are in a private repo. If the vendors are not comfortable with the files being made public there is nothing much /e/ can do about it. Those who are building ROM’s should be able to extract the files.

I think it’s strange, because /e/ has a partnership with Fairphone, and secondly you can extract the files from the zip file that is publicly available.

I totally agree with @andrelam on this. Strange argument. Why would it be a problem to publish these files if they are publicly available anyway through the ROM files? It just makes the whole process more difficult and adds unnessesary work for ROM-builders. Anybody who wants them, can get them. Why not directly publish them in the first place??
And no, I don’t think this is comparable with Xiaomi, since you don’t have a partnership with them nor sell preinstalled devices.

Agree, and Xiaomi sources are available at https://gitlab.com/the-muppets