S10(e) - Base of /e/ OS and TWRP

Use LOS 19 (better LOS for microG) but think about to migrate.
Offical maintainer is afaik Linux4.
He has dedicated opinion about TWRP (which is part of /e/):

Is there any TWRP I can use for this ROM? No, we don’t support TWRP. Why is it not supported? TWRP usually mounts data and modifies the files in there. On OTA over Updater it could happen that TWRP messes up the encryption policy so data won’t be able to decrypt anymore and you will lose your files. As we want to avoid such things, we simply don’t support it. Other reasons? Imo TWRP is way too feature overloaded. Also, data partition isnt supposed to be mounted in a recovery anyways. TWRP also doesn’t format data properly at default and just “wipes” (removes all stuff exp data/media) it, which will cause issues on roms which use different encryption method or filesystem.

I am wondering is he right? Arn’t data protected with /e/ if device gets lost or anyone else access it via TWRP? Create and steal a backup? Or is he wrong?

Well you heard it from the horse’s mouth.

TWRP has had reported problems, just as you describe with Android 10. Many users might think some of these reports are user error. But I think you are relaying the safest approach.

You can still build TWRP yourself and / or you might see unofficial builds — but I think official TWRP fpr Android 10 devices is going to get increasingly rare. (Personal view only!)

With Android 10 you mean 10 and above, as current release is 12?

I was wrong: /e/ (at least for S10) seems to work via a recovery, so not TWRP.
I have seen that page:
https://doc.e.foundation/pages/backup-and-restore-with-twrp.html
that confuses me.

I understand that formatting stuff, but not about en/decryption.
I understand it like that that devices that works with TWRP can access to data/media (int. sdcard) and so bypass the encryption?
Either data in TWRP are encrypted and hence unreadable or your need to type in some key, right - both seem not to be the case.

Please don’t take this as a technically fully informed reply, but re Android 10/12, I think the expression I saw being used is “built for Android 10”.

Looking at this from POV Google ecosystem (which is the spec manufacturers are using) data should be autoagically managed and encryption is now default from Android 10 (I read). So there is no reason to have a Recovery built to mess with data.

So AOSP engineers have to ask what features will always work, hence the evolution of Lineage Recovery and its fork, /e/ Recovery.

Of course, I feel this is all out of the dirty tricks department and increasingly I do not feel comfortable using a device with such deep set consumerist ambitions.

This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.