Secure Private SMTP Relay

Per the documentation: /e/ Self Hosting

"Hosting at home is also possible in principle, but you will probably have problems with sending email (email providers may classify your email as spam)."

It would be beneficial to give a short explanation as to why emails sent from a home consumer ISP connection would be classified as spam. Mainly regarding Reverse DNS and PTR records. Explaining how it is most likely impossible to obtain reverse DNS on a home consumer connection and how mainstream email services will not accept emails from servers without those records.

Many potential users of /e/ OS that would like to deploy self hosting may be familiar with the aspect server deployment but not the technical workings of email.

Some, like myself, may have a registered domain name and get to the point of Reverse DNS then have to do the research to find that with a home consumer internet connection they are unable to obtain a Reverse DNS entry.

In this situation the most efficient work around is using a SMTP relay. There are many available, although reading through their privacy policies they will still distribute private data. This completely goes against the whole concept of the /e/ OS.

I feel that providing a secure and private SMTP relay will definitely benefit this project for In-Home hosting.

To offset any cost, might it be possible to offer the option to opt out of the provided cloud storage and limit the provided email storage to just enough to cover email for support if need be?

In the meantime, please provide any ideas or recommendations for trusted SMTP relays. I will be proof of concept testing in the coming week.

Dynamic IP addresses and DNS will still be an issue, but not as much as a roadblock as Reverse DNS.

I guess we could use Google’s free SMTP relay. :crazy_face:

1 Like

I use a synology mail server. My primary mail DNS is direct to mij serve.

My secondary is via a hosting provider. Yes with relay.

My server has all the wissels and bells.

But three are about 200 attempts to login. Use a very long strong pwd for all users.

Its really fier and forget.

Koen.

You can also host a small vm with a public IP that you can set ptr records for and proxy via openvpn into the services hosted at home. I do that for other use cases. However if you intend to host for a handful of users that vm could probably be used directly so that renders the whole setup useless (unless you need to have huge amounts of storage which is a bit expensive when not on premise) :wink:
3€/month is probably worth the privacy gain