Signal will be unavailable in Great Britain?

So you don’t have an answer to my question.

While Signal is the current open source gold standard for encyption, this cases shows its biggest weakness: centralization. One service controlled by one company with one domain endpoint. So easily to take down. Signal is aware of this and tried in the past to partially successfully overcome this with domain fronting.

An open source and decentral solution should makes it harder for any government. The Matrix protocol with its popular Element messenger could be an answer to UK’s or EU’s surveillance and censor practices. Host it yourself or find a hoster probably somewhere outside their restrictions :slightly_smiling_face:

Or better yet, XMPP. Matrix is a metadata nightmare.

2 Likes

To my knowledge all messengers, Whatsapp, Signal, etc. use the XMPP protocol, but hide the underlying servers.

The most open implementation is Conversations.

They all could talk to each other, similar to email, which works across any platform. But of course they don’t want to do that!

WhatsApp does. I’m not sure about the others but I wouldn’t be surprised. The Achilles heel of most of them is centralisation - they don’t federate. Most are also closed source so shouldn’t really be trusted. The best thing people could do is self host a FOSS XMPP server, but we’ll be waiting for hell to freeze over before that happens.

This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.