[SOLVED] Signal notifications (without MicroG) don't work since the 4.59.? version

Your hashfile works. I have the same sha256sum: $ sha256sum Signal-website-universal-release-4.58.5.apk dbc6ff706b8380390abd461ad0d9cdf3cb54d597b1d724684b86885450ebe1aa Signal-website-universal-release-4.58.5.apk

But you have to verify the signing certificate on the APK. With this command you can check this with Linux:

$ keytool -printcert -jarfile Signal-website-universal-release-4.58.5.apk

I found help at Stackoverflow:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7104624/how-do-i-verify-that-an-android-apk-is-signed-with-a-release-certificate

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5488339/how-can-i-find-and-run-the-keytool

Maybe this will help you to verfiy the fingerprint under Windows.

Thanks Aki. It is more complicated than I thought! Do you eventually get the hash 29:F3:…quoted on the Signal site?

For Windows so far I only found
https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/189000/how-to-verify-the-checksum-of-a-downloaded-file-pgp-sha-etc

I might open another question in the forum about how to do this using /e/ in general.

Yes, this is very important in order to make sure that nobody tampered with the file “in between”. Hash should be always checked, there is also the app Checkey.

Ýes. :grinning: Here is the command (Linux) and the output.

$ keytool -printcert -jarfile Signal-website-universal-release-4.58.5.apk
$ SHA256: 29:F3:4E:5F:27:F2:11:B4:24:BC:5B:F9:D6:71:62:C0:EA:FB:A2:DA:35:AF:35:C1:64:16:FC:44:62:76:BA:26

On Windows 10 I did this with keytool.exe and got the correct output:

keytool.exe -printcert -jarfile Signal-website-universal-release-4.58.5.apk
SHA256: 29:F3:4E:5F:27:F2:11:B4:24:BC:5B:F9:D6:71:62:C0:EA:FB:A2:DA:35:AF:35:C1:64:16:FC:44:62:76:BA:26

Keytool.exe is in the Java\bin folder. Can you spot it? The command is identical. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks to Aki and kalman: Problem solved! I found a version of keytool on Windows.

For /e/ the Checkey app works really well, it immediately displays SHA256 for all apks installed, and it uses independent sources to check against. Like it :slight_smile: However, it does not seem to check downloaded apk files before you install them.

Very good. You had the patience to solve the problem. I like this. :+1:
:beers:

Hello,

Since the last update of Signal Private Messenger (4.59.10, in Apps), there are no notifications for incoming messages, unless phone is on and app is open.
Updating to 4.59.11 did not help.
I also checked https://support.signal.org/hc/en-us/articles/360007318711-Troubleshooting-Notifications to no avail.

Any suggestion, anyone ?

my phone is Samsung Galaxy S7edge

thanks !

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online services![phone|80x80](upload://m
tacZf1KIgDZJegjO3jnRNYJDPg.png)

1 Like

If you will search the forum, you will find a lot posts regarding that issue.
Example:

Hi,
I tried https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/signal-foundation/signal-private-messenger/signal-private-messenger-4-60-4-release/ without success.
I installed v4.58.5, which I had left in my download folder, and that works.
Finally, 4.59.11 works fine on a standard android phone.
For what it’s worth.

I also could not get notifications to work using the official Signal, and downloaded and installed Langis mentioned by @piero in this thread. To get it on Fdroid you have to manually enter the address of its gitlab repository into Fdroid (add repository).

There is no need to uninstall Signal first according to the site.

Hopefully, Langis will be more stable and google-free than Signal! (which was working fine until recently)

For a simple way to add Langis, You could copy the repo’s adresse in the link below,
then open the F-Droid store, in settings, add a new repository and it will automatically paste the adresse you have copied

Hi, everybody. I have the same problem with /e/ os on S7.
langis remains the only working solution for now? no chance that everything will be solved with normal microG signal updates?

There is no need to uninstall Signal first according to the site.

Langis showed as “installed” in F-droid on my S7 but opened Signal with the same Problem only until i uninstalled Signal and afterwards installed Langis. That way it works for me.

Yes but not after a reboot (except if it has been fixed).

Works after reboot for me on klte.

I have Signal and if I use the app “Net Monitor”, it shows an “app.android.unknown” connection to Whispersystems (xx.awsglobalaccelerator.com). But besides that there is also a Signal connection (org.thoughtcrime.securesms) to the same domain. Is this generally the same? app.android.unknown looks odd.

1 Like

Are you sure about signal being the cause of that connection?
I personally don’t see a connection like that on my findings (latest version from /e/ apps).
But maybe it’s from a Signal feature I do not use.

I reinstalled the latest version from /e/ apps (4.59.11) and the notifications do work again.
The background service is started normally after a reboot and everything is fine.

Yes, those are the amazon server addresses Signal is using:

I just don’t know why there is that app.android.unknown instance.

I reinstalled and followed this procedure and it seems to work. I just hope it doesn’t consume too much battery.