[SOLVED] Update /e/ or not update /e/?

Hi,
I have an S7 with preloaded /e/.
I received an update notification : eel 0.7-2019081620422.
Should I download and install it? I saw that it is better to be careful with updates.
In general, should I update when notified (I use only /e/ appstore)
Cheers!
V

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Hi Vincer,

Updating is safe and for me really safe : I use e pie unofficial on OnePlus 5 for a month and the OS is getting better each time I upgrade.
Just a little thing, I use hgLauncher instead of Bliss for the home app ; I like things simple and fonctionnal.

@+

Hi Vincer,
I have a Nexus 5x but updating for me was quick and painless.

Hi. I also can only report good experience with the system update. I have installed every update since last Dec and no problems at all. Nexus 5

Hi,
Update done yesterday. No problem so far
Thanks everyone
V

1 Like

I seen there is a new update this morning, that wants to use the installer and reboot. Will this new update wipe all my data with a fresh new install or will or will I have to backup my data and restore after this new update?

Marty

I update about twice a week and all my settings and data stay the same.

I updated and have no issues

I still will backup my data just in case, Cool! /e/ has been working great! Thanks!

Just did the update with no issues, Thanks!

1 Like

That Update notification is a bit annoying as I did deactivate the “Automatic Search for Updates” function (in System-Updates).

Still, if there is an update, I receive a notification saying there is a new update (although I would prefer to search for new updates manually).

My Samsung Galaxy S7 - “herolte” SM-G930F only reports new updates when I start the search manually.

The function “Automatic search for updates” (in system updates) is also disabled for me.

https://ecloud.global/s/GwB4WicB3K5PpRB

But the update e-0.7-n-2020031345025-dev-herolte still has the Android security patch level February 5, 2020.

It’s different on hammerhead, it just shows the update notification (like today), regardless what is set there (as shown on the screenshot above).

My nexus 5 got briced once when updating, about three months ago. I dirty flashed an old update package, the phone came back to life but all the settings, customizations, wallpaper, even the installed apps have returned to the state of the previous month’s. It’s just like my phone had gone through a time travel, except the data stored in my phone, newly installed apps disappeared, and unistalled ones reappeared. Quite a fantastic experience :upside_down_face: , though I didn’t tell anyone at that time since common people don’t like hear your “phone-tinkering” stories. :expressionless:

BTW every time /e/ updates it reinstalls all the shipped apps, which is quite annoying since I prefer some apps to the default ones, I unistall the default QKSMS, Mail, Opentasks and replace them with silence, librem mail and tasks (astrid fork) every time I update /e/… Man I hope there’s a solution for this.

With my Galaxy S7 I’ve other (better) experiences, e. g., I’m uninstalling the following /e/ applications …

foundation.e.apps
e.weather
foundation.e.drive
contacts
calendar
tasks
foundation.e.mail

… and replace it from the f-droid store:

Librem Mail
Silence Encrypted SMS/MMS
Simple Calendar Pro
Simple Contacts Pro
Tasks - Fork of Astrid Tasks & To-Do List
(Simple) Flashlight - Do not get lost in the dark

After one, two, three /e/ OTA updates, everything stays as I set it up. All preinstalled /e/ apps that I’ve uninstalled are not automatically restored. They stay gone and the apps installed via f-droid are preserved. It’s on my device as it should be…

I have a s7 bought from /e/ and I am still stick with the version of the 6 of january. Even manual search dont fond update…

1 Like

Since 6 January 2020 there have been a number of updates for /e/ dev users. For further information only.

1 Like

I’m in the same situation as kaiox and don’t dare installing an update manually - is there a chance /e/ will update a stable version automatically (OTA) in the near future? Thanks for help!

Hello @bauduen, the S7 currently still runs with /e/ OS 7-nougart. Since there are no official Android security leases since last year, the /e/OS Build Team has to do a lot of work to generate security leases from higher Android versions (8.x / 9). So it may still take some time.

However, there is a little bit of hope: /e/ OS 8-Oreo has been tested for the S7 / S7 Edge for two months. Improvement is coming in small steps …

2 Likes

Hello @archje, thanks a lot for your explanation - and thanks a lot to all of you at /e/ for the fantastic work you’re doing!