Temporary SIM card

I am currently using my /e/-powered cellphone as a regular calling/internet device.
What I will do: spend holidays in a different country, remove the official SIM, insert a different, local “temporary” SIM card inside my official /e/phone and enable mobile hot spot for my laptop.
Because I want all the internet activities from my official phone number I would like to ask:

1. Does /e/OS leave traces of my “temporary” SIM card on my phone?
  2. Is /e/ capable of linking my “temmporary” SIM card to my official SIM card e.g. by google trackers?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

I don’t speak for /e/ Foundation, but a couple of points…

/e/ has been very public about negating tracking in the OS and how it is accomplished: /e/ product description - a pro-privacy Android ROM and online services

I think any privacy compromises depend more directly, and obviously, on whether or not you yourself install any spying applications (Chrome, Whatsapp, Facebook, Instagram, etc.) or allow the use of telemetry in apps. Using a tracker blocker can reveal background tracking and allow you to block it.

Do mobile browsers have the ability to read your SIM card information? Short answer: no, but the concept of device fingerprinting still applies. Check out this brief discussion: privacy - If I connect to a website using a cellular network, and change the sim card and connect again with the same phone, will they find its the same phone? - Information Security Stack Exchange

Your SIM card itself doesn’t store any history of your activity. It simply contains the information needed to connect you to the carrier’s network. It can also be used to store your contacts if you choose to do so.

The carrier that issues a SIM card to you will be able to identify your unique device, associate it with any personal particulars you provided to obtain service, and see where you are located, and that you are using the mobile network, calling, texting, sending and receiving data packets, etc., or connecting to a particular WiFi network (whereupon your data is no longer handled by the mobile carrier if you have switched off mobile data).

Using private DNS and a VPN service will provide more privacy from the mobile network provider and from the WiFi connection source. The carrier that issues a SIM card will not be able to get information about what another carrier’s SIM card does.

As for traces of your activity within apps, be sure to clear your browser history, cookies, and cache, delete compromising messages and emails, photos, etc., if you are worried about physical inspection or confiscation of your device.

You can use browser extensions like NoScript, uBlock Origin, and Privacy Badger to prevent unnecessary scripts or trackers from running on websites.

Also, don’t sign in to any Google-owned services if you don’t want to be tracked by Google. That goes for any service, actually.

2 Likes

I’ll add that it goes without saying that the carrier associated with each SIM card can see the numbers you are calling and texting with over the mobile network. That means that, conceivably, metadata from both carriers could be traced back to your device by comparing the contacts in common, and also by the single IMEI associated with both accounts. This typically would require some kind of legal authorization in most countries.

Also, your device may display your call history, but you can clear that in the phone app.

Some of these points aren’t specifically about being tracked by Google or other abusers, but I thought I would mention them.

1 Like

Thanks for all the informations! Especially the link to security.stackexchange discussion. Really apprecate it!
Hopefully other users will benefit from it as well

1 Like