The /e/OS Installer arrives!

My host machine: Kubuntu 20.04 LTS 64-bit. My Samsung Galaxy S7 - “herolte” wasn’t recognized immediately (see also Fig. 11). Sometime I will try the tool again to be surprised by a positive result.

Thanks for the detailed feedback @AntoineGuichard pl check again when free and let us know if you are still facing issues or if the installation completed succesfully. I believe some of the warnings you mentioned do appear on the screens . May be in our future versions we will make them appear more often.

Thanks @archje.

My Samsung Galaxy S7 is a “herolte” too as far as I understand (SM-G930F, Android 8.0.0, Baseband G930FXXS6ESI6, Build R16NW.G930FXXS6ESI4).

The easy-installer detects the phone, shows the message “Your SM_G930F is compatible with /e/ OS” and downloads source files e-latest-herolte.zip, e-latest-herolte.zip.sha256sum, twrp-3.2.3-0-herolte.img, and twrp-3.2.3-0-herolte.img.sha256sum.

Then it shows the screen “Connect device and start download mode”

When I get the blue screen on the phone and press “Volume up” to access the download mode then:

On the phone side:

• A blue-green screen shows “Downloading…”, with at the top left in very small letters I cannot guarantee to read entirely correctly:
    ODIN Mode
    Download speed: fast
    Product name: SM-G930F
    Current binary: Samsung official
    System status: Official
    FRP lock: off
    Secure download: enabled
    Warranty void: 0 (0x000)
    RP S0REV: 0:6 K:4 S:5

On the easy-installer side:

• Shows step “Unlock OEM”, then

• Very briefly shows again the screen “Connect device and start download mode”, then

• Very briefly shows a screen “Recovery installation”, then

• Shows a screen “the installation encountered an error”, with options “Try again” and “Send [log?] to support”

Trying again restarts the loop.

I sent the log to Support.

/

When I reboot the phone, it restarts Android 8.0.0. So nothing erased, all good.

I will try again tonight, after looking around for possible relevant info on the forum :slight_smile:

Have a good day

1 Like

@AntoineGuichard, thanks for your detailed feedback. They’re important!

If “herolte” boots again with stockROM Android 8.0.0 after this whole procedure, then TeamWin - TWRP Recovery wasn’t installed - and only the original Android Recovery is available.

After flashing TWRP must immediately reboot into TWRP again, so that TWRP remains permanently in the device as a custom recovery. If the partitions /system and /data aren’t deleted, /e/ OS ROM will not work properly.

Whether the script considers all this, I can not comment at this moment.

See you next time.

Thanks @archje

It looks like I have, at least, a problem with the easy-installer not being able to write to the phone.

libusb: error [_get_usbfs_fd] libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/006/121: Permission denied
libusb: error [_get_usbfs_fd] libusb requires write access to USB device nodes.

I had always launched the easy-installer via my GUI. In Kubuntu: open KMenu, start typing easy-in… then select the program to launch it.

I discovered that if launched the easy-installer directly from the command line (in BASH console, type $ easy-installer), the console continued to output information about the commands and steps.

So I could have, side by side (see screenshot below): (1) the window running the easy-installer’s graphical user interface; and (2) the BASH console showing commands and/or steps followed.

More informative and useful for debugging :slight_smile:

Using that method, I ran a new attempt at installation, which failed exactly as before.

What the console showed, from when the screen “Downloading /e/OS and necessary files” showed “Download is complete, you are now ready to install /e/OS on your phone!”, just before clicking on continue:

loadSubScene(downloadSceneRoot)
loadSubUI(6-flashScene.fxml)
loadFXML('6-flashScene.fxml')
execAndReadOutput() : /snap/easy-installer/6/easy-installer-linux-x64/bin/scripts/wait-download.sh
Splitted command: /snap/easy-installer/6/easy-installer-linux-x64/bin/scripts/wait-download.sh /snap/easy-installer/6/easy-installer-linux-x64/bin/
Process started

Heimdall path: /snap/easy-installer/6/easy-installer-linux-x64/bin/heimdall
Update UI for/snap/easy-installer/6/easy-installer-linux-x64/bin/scripts/wait-download.sh
onStepStart

Download mode detected
FlashThread.handleResult()
execAndReadOutput() : /snap/easy-installer/6/easy-installer-linux-x64/bin/scripts/oem-unlock.sh
Splitted command: /snap/easy-installer/6/easy-installer-linux-x64/bin/scripts/oem-unlock.sh /snap/easy-installer/6/easy-installer-linux-x64/bin/
Update UI for/snap/easy-installer/6/easy-installer-linux-x64/bin/scripts/oem-unlock.sh
onStepStart
Process started
averageTime is: 8

libusb: error [_get_usbfs_fd] libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/006/121: Permission denied

ERROR: Failed to access device. libusb error: -3

OEM unlocked
execAndReadOutput() : /snap/easy-installer/6/easy-installer-linux-x64/bin/scripts/wait-download.sh
Splitted command: /snap/easy-installer/6/easy-installer-linux-x64/bin/scripts/wait-download.sh /snap/easy-installer/6/easy-installer-linux-x64/bin/
Process started

Update UI for/snap/easy-installer/6/easy-installer-linux-x64/bin/scripts/wait-download.sh
onStepStart

Download mode detected
execAndReadOutput() : /snap/easy-installer/6/easy-installer-linux-x64/bin/scripts/install-recovery.sh
Splitted command: /snap/easy-installer/6/easy-installer-linux-x64/bin/scripts/install-recovery.sh /home/antoine/snap/easy-installer/common/sources/twrp-3.2.3-0-herolte.img /snap/easy-installer/6/easy-installer-linux-x64/bin/
Update UI for/snap/easy-installer/6/easy-installer-linux-x64/bin/scripts/install-recovery.sh
onStepStart
Process started
averageTime is: 6

Heimdall v1.4.2

Copyright (c) 2010-2017 Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna

http://www.glassechidna.com.au/

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is

encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future

development please consider donating:

http://www.glassechidna.com.au/donate/

Initialising connection...

Detecting device...

ERROR: Failed to access device. libusb error: -3
script_error_unknown
onFlashError
onFlashStop
ResetNextButtonEventHandler
Stage is closing
onStop
FlashThread.cancel()
Command.cancel()

Not too sure where to go from there.

You can try to run the tool as root, type sudo for the command you used before. This should not the way it should run, just to see if it works.

Geez! What do you think “Mom and Dad ” would say?

1 Like

I am pretty sure “Mom and Dad” would freak out big time at this stage :exploding_head:. But I am sure it will work like a charm very soon :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I had tried that, even though I knew I should not… but it did not let me.

$ sudo easy-installer 
mkdir: cannot create directory '/run/user/0': Permission denied
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/sun.launcher.LauncherHelper$FXHelper.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Unable to open DISPLAY
        at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication.lambda$new$6(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkPlatformFactory.createApplication(Unknown Source)
        at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.Application.run(Unknown Source)
        at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.startup(Unknown Source)
        at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.startup(Unknown Source)
        at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.startup(Unknown Source)
        at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.startToolkit(Unknown Source)
        at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.launchApplicationWithArgs(Unknown Source)
        at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.launchApplication(Unknown Source)
        ... 5 more

Some decent progress.

I saw that a second “plug” of the easy-installer snap was inactive: easy-installer:adb-support.

I activated that manually as well (in addition to easy-installer:raw-usb):
$ sudo snap connect easy-installer:adb-support

And rebooted (not sure I am meant to need that, but I seemed to need it for raw-usb).

This time, installation went smoothly until it paused to ask if I wanted to create an e.email account or if I already had one.

I selected “I already have an e.email account”.

The screen did not have any “Continue” button, so I clicked on the “OK” button next to the “Create my e.email personal account”, thinking that had to be what acted as the “Continue” button for that screen.

It did nothing but unselect the “I already have an e.email account” option. But when I re-selected it, a “Continue” button appeared.

I clicked on “Continue”, expecting to next see a form asking for my e.email account details.

Instead, the installation progress screen came back, and has been frozen since (over an hour ago):

The console spurts out “Recovery” every second or so (and it quickly filled my console buffer, so I cannot see the log of what happened):
Screenshot_20200512_172149

The phone shows the Team Win Recovery Project screen:

If anyone has a suggestion about what to do next, don’t hesitate :slight_smile:

1 Like

What for ?
Testing/debugging the easy installer ?
Or installing /e/OS on your phone ?

To finish installing /e/OS on the phone.

Since then, the easy-installer screen has changed and tells me that “installation is over” and implies that the phone is rebooting.

But the phone is not rebooting - it still shows the TWRP menu screen.

If choosing “install” from the TWRP menu, cannot find any /e/ zip image. Seems the easy-installer did not install it.

Hi @AntoineGuichard pl raise this bug on Gitlab with the details you have mentioned above

Hi @Manoj. Ok, will do that later today.
Should I report just that last problem, or also (in same or different tickets) the need to activate raw-usb and adb-support plugs for the snap and to enable USB debugging on the phone?

You can club the issues into one single bug. The developer has been asked to look into the issues being raised here and on Gitlab so it will be addressed.

Done. Issue 1296: https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/1296

Could not figure out how to file it under label “easy-installer” though.

Thanks @AntoineGuichard for raising the issue. I have added the labels for easy-installer to the bug.

@rhunault for the stable branches it is possible to make a download link for the “latest” version of /e/, e.g. https://images.ecloud.global/stable/hero2lte/e-latest-hero2lte.zip

This link does not work when you exchange the codename for hero2lte for e.g. my phone, a3xeltexx.

For all the other phones (so everything except S7,S7Edge,S9,S9+), what is the download link for the latest /e/ rom? I know about this link , but there each version has its own download link. I’m looking for a download link that stays the same and is always the latest rom.

Reason for asking is that we need a link to the latest rom for making the config files for the /e/ installer for this phone.

CC @Manoj

Hi @Rik pl raise this as a bug in Gitlab . Have passed on the details to the dev team. The solution may be to point to the dev builds but then there will be multiple builds showing up there. So possibly installer should pick up the latest in the series or user should be given an option to pick up which build they would want to flash.