TWRP in install instructions for the FP3?

I just wanted to point someone to the install instructions for the Fairphone 3 when I noticed that is has a section about flashing TWRP.

IIRC that wasn’t there when and last looked at that page.
And in fact TWRP is not actually used in the instructions. This looks like an error to me (and wouldn’t even work as the FP3 has no recovery partition).

2 Likes

mhm, I have read often, that user does have TWRP installed on FP3 :thinking:

Are you only able to boot in TWRP on FP3 ??

Thanks for pointing this out @Ingo_FP_Angel . Will have the section on TWRP removed from the FP3 install document.

The standard way would be to just boot TWRP when needed, yes.

It is possible to also install TWRP (by flashing a ZIP file during a one-off boot into TWRP; not by flashing it via fastboot). I’ve never done that as I use the stock ROM and locked bootloader, not sure what the consequences are.
For those interested in more details: TWRP for Fairphone 3

3 Likes

One consequence is that it breaks Fairphone OS OTA updates, because installing TWRP on the Fairphone 3 means embedding it into the boot partition, and the Fairphone OS updater checks the partitions and doesn’t update when the checks show changes e.g. in the boot partition.

I’m still waiting for anybody to confirm how the /e/ updater behaves in this situation.

3 Likes

For the /e/ OS on FP3 the process will still be the same …using Fastboot
There will not be an e recovery for the FP3 and the documentation referring to TWRP will be corrected

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.

I rather meant that I’ve seen several Fairphone 3 /e/ users announce they wanted to install TWRP, but until now nobody said whether /e/ OTA updates still worked with TWRP installed.

1 Like

Good that you raised the point. Our documentation is created from templates…we picked up the idea from LineageOS Wiki :smile: This makes the task of documentation easy but also creates such errors where for specific devices specific instructions are required. LineageOS wiki does this quite well. That is an issue we still have in our documentation and needs to be corrected.

3 Likes

I installed TWRP on a FP 3 and made the experience that after an update of /e/ TWRP and Magisk are gone. After installing it again twice afterwards I decided to forget TWRP, Magisk and Firewall and to go on without.

2 Likes

Same here. OTA Updates work but overwrite TWRP. Guess I’ll just boot into it in case need it.

2 Likes

I’m a bit confused as it sounds as if you use this method to occasionally boot into twrp yourself, but then you also say you

In my understanding it is not possible to boot into twrp via fastboot if the bootloader is locked, right? At least one of the comments in the thread you linked says so.

The answer is easy: I have a device dedicated for testing. That way I can keep my daily driver unmodified.

1 Like

Either the error is still there, or it’s back.

https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP3/install currently has an “Installing a custom recovery” section which is wrong and not needed for the Fairphone 3/3+.

2 Likes

Thanks for point this out…must have overwritten the changes… Will add it back.

1 Like

It is still there. Just noticed after someone ran into it and asking for help on the Fairphone forum.

1 Like

I know :frowning: it is one of the 13 code changes in documentation awaiting being published. Working on pushing it through.

2 Likes

The TWRP section is still there.
@Manoj should I open an issue in gitlab to give this more weight?

Pl can you let me know which section you are referring to so that I can have it removed.

This entire section needs to be removed for the FP3 install instructions

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out…will have that removed.

2 Likes