Unstable WIFI with Android Q and FP3

Hello community,
i wonder if i am the only one who get “kicked off” out of my WiIFI networks regularly every 20 minutes, and sometimes it´s about every 10 minutes.

Im running /e/ in version 0.13-2020120789006 and from what i can tell is that i get kicked out and after just a few seconds (mostly a few) im back in again. This is very annoying when it comes to VoIP-calls these days in the pandemic.

Is this a known bug, somehow?

Greetings!

3 Likes

Hi,
sorry for the long delay.

Im using an WRT1200AC from Linksys with OpenWRT 19.7.06 and i have the controls over it :slight_smile: . I should have mentioned as well that i have no problems what so ever with any other device, which are going from USB-Wifi, Lenovo Laptop, iPad, or even an /e/ OS driven OnePlus 3T from my girlfirend. Its just the FP3 which makes these problems. And i dou have issues in every WIFI im in, which are quite some.

So im kind of sure that it´s about the e /OS/.

I do think that might be my problem as well. I am using the fritz box 6590 cable (07.20) and changing the settings to the suggested ones above does not help. My phone is not yet on q. (0.12-2020102981459) I notice it mainly, when I am streaming radio, but I suspected a power saving function is set wrong.

I cant find this setting anymore on Android Q. I have also installed the new 0.14 version yesterday and i think it is a little bit better now.

But im going to wait until tomorrow and see how my homeoffice calls via WIFI are working in real life.

I have the same problem, since I upgraded to Android Q. For me version 0.14 didn’t give a real improvement.

thank you, this stabilised my 5 GHz band on the router, outwith the phone.

Now more stable wifi in general!

1 Like

It got a little bit better. At least for 2.4Ghz. 5Ghz is still a mess.

2.4Ghz is still unstable. After a few days working from home i can still not really use my WIFI for making calls reliable.

A little update from my side.

When im streaming music for instance to my bluetooth headphones and im doing it via 2.4Ghz it is at least stable for 30 minutes.

On the other side i can never reach such times when im doing WIFI calls. It does not matter which app im using to making calls, Signal, WhatsApp or even our VOIP app from the manufacturer of our company phones. After a few minutes i get kicked out of the WIFI, especially when i get a few calls in short time.

Can someone reproduce this?
Is any dev aware of this?

It´s only getting worse it seems. Its impossible for me to start a call in Signal. I can receive calls, but can not initiate them. And everything has to go via mobile data. VoIP over Wifi is simply unusable.

Another thing is that people are telling me constantly that they can´t hear me because im too silent. I have to be VERY close to the microphone before they can hear what im saying. That´s been better before too.

Please have a look into this, im happy to debug it together with someone.

Same for me now. With my home router (Telekom) I get random disconnects every 20-30s.

Very intereting. I have exactly the same issue, but I didn’t realize it was the phone causing the problem.

I think it would be best to file two separate bug reports on https://gitlab.e.foundation and maybe link between them (just mention it in the description), so that developers know that they cooccur. Would you be okay with raising these issues?

Hello, I do not have the same issue, but that concerns the wifi too.
I checked /e/'s Gitlab as you suggest and found these two projects about FP3:

But none of them has an issue section to open tickets.
I have a bug report file to send to /e/, and I do not know where to send it.

I guess you have to send it somewhere to their Gitlab, right?

I’ve just installed 0.15 yesterday and i must say that it got even worse. Now i have to disable WIFI completely before it reconnects again.

I guess im gonna switch to Lineage. Not a single bug getting fixed for so long.

The issues list for all /e/ projects is in the e / Backlog project

https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues?page=2&state=opened

1 Like

Thanks, I reported this issue: https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/2801

Did anyone experience an improvement? I still have the wifi issue even with the most current version.

I bought my FP3+ some weeks before and installed /e/. I never experienced problems like the one above. WiFi runs perfectly fine for me.

i bought my FP3+ begin of may '21 and installed /e/ Q version.

Only sometimes the WIFI connection is also unstable for me.
Sometimes after unlocking, the wifi shows a hollow symbol with (x) inside it. (then i tap it to disable, and tap again to enable, and it initializes ok while passing over the (x) symbol to the full/on symbol)
Then, when i start an app it could lose WIFI connection halfway.
But shortly after… when connected, it shows complete full symbol and has no problems?

Model FP3/FP3+ / Android 10
Build Nr; e_FP3-userdebug 10 QQ3A.200805.001 eng.root 20210422.210931 dev-keys,stable release

But today, not one time that WIFI issue?!
Could it be battery charge% related?
Today my battery started at 70%, at the end of the day my it was at 51%
Yesterday it ended at 20%
– edit – ah… and i’m at 48% battery and have the WIFI issue now…

This is a very serious problem and has been happening on mine and my wife’s fp3s more and more frequently. I do believe it has to do with a keep alive functionality that is no longer exposed in settings.

Would really appreciate a fix or solution. :+1::+1: