Week 30, 2022 : Development and Testing Updates

Builds and Releases

v1.2

Update 28 July

• v1.2 release is rolling out. As yet, the release has been made for stable R and Q builds only. We will be releasing the dev builds ASAP. Will update in this thread.

Builds that failed in v1.1

On Q

bacon, davinci, surnia,

On R

bacon, lavender,miatoll

If other devices are missing the v1.1 build pl do let us know. The build team will work on adding these devices to the v1.2 release

Build recalled
Following some reports of devices getting bricked the OnePlus Nord avicii v1.1 stable build has been removed from the servers. Issues in Gitlab 5647 , 5638. Team will rectify the issues and release a build with v1.2

Important fix for the FP4

We released a patch build for the FP4 last week which resolved this issue
FP4 users pl share feedback if any after installing the build.

GSI

• GSI builds on v1.1 are available here
    • Sources of last GSI release can be viewed here

OS OTA upgrades

Completed

• Samsung s9 / s9+
  • Samsung s7/ s7+

Upcoming

• Samsung s8 /s8+
    • ETA Sep end :crossed_fingers:
  • FP3
    • ETA not available. Will be planned after the release of the s8/s8+ OS OTA upgrade

:nerd_face: OTA OS upgrade means the upgrade to a higher OS level. Updates will be delivered Over the Air (OTA). The OTA upgrades are available on official builds only. Users who have unofficial or custom builds will not get the notification to install the upgrade build. They will have to manually download and flash the Q builds once they are released.

Difference between /e/OS build types

Easy Installer updates

MacOS

The Easy Installer can now be installed on the MacOS. Check this guide for details

New devices added

The following devices will now be supported by the Easy Installer

Vendor Device Name CodeName
Google Pixel 4 coral
Google Pixel 4XL flame
Google Pixel 4a sunfish
Oneplus 7T hotdogb
Oneplus 7 pro guacamole

Devices to receive OS upgrade to /e/OS R

A couple of existing devices will get R upgrades. Will target to release with v1.2 :crossed_fingers:

Vendor Device Name Code Name New/Upgrade OS Comments
Motorola Moto Z Play addison Upgrade R
Motorola Moto Z2 Play albus Upgrade R
OnePlus 7 guacamoleb Upgrade R

Check this post for more details

/e/OS S upgrade coming soon :sparkler:

We plan to upgrade around 70+ devices to /e/OS S or Android 12. The /e/OS S builds are in the final stages of development and testing. Hope to release the devices in monthly batches of 20 devices.

You can check this list for the device names

Where ever possible, we will work on upgrading existing devices to ‘S’. Will share details on specific devices when I have feedback from the team. We have to check, if it is possible to upgrade to S or the next best OS version possible.

Recently Documentation updates

Device and Vendor specific Announcements- Click to expand or close

End of official support for Nougat, Oreo and Pie

:disappointed: For Pie, Oreo and Nougat the official /e/OS support draws to a close.

Reasons for dropping official support are:

• newly released applications like App Lounge, Advanced privacy code has not been customized for these OS versions.
  • lack of dedicated ROM Maintainers
  • no support upstream (Lineage dropped support for Pie sometime back)
  • device trees will continue to exist in the Gitlab and users with build skills can create custom ROMs on these builds
  • Security patches and vendor patches for the Pie, Oreo and Nougat code will be updated based on availability.

:nerd_face: Google stops security patches for OS after some time. Similarly, Vendors drop support for older models when they release newer models in the market. Then it depends on developers from various communities to backport the patches.

:loudspeaker: Gigaset GS290

• We have stopped the sales of the Gigaset GS290 on the eSolutionsShop as the vendor has stopped production of the device. We will continue support for existing users.

:loudspeaker: Message being shared on the request of our vendor partners

• Vendors whose phones we sell on our eSolutions Store do not directly sell /e/OS flashed devices.
  • The vendors only sell their devices with their own stock ROM.
  • To get pre flashed /e/OS phones, you have to purchase them from the eSolutions Shop.

:loudspeaker: /e/OS Pre flashed device sales

• We sell directly in EU, US, Canada.
  • Find details of what devices are available in which countries here eSolutions Shop.
  • In Australia we do not sell directly. You can purchase preflashed /e/OS devices from this site

:loudspeaker: Murena One released
A phone from Murena with /e/OS installed has been launched and is available for purchase. Check the device specs here

Expect more device releases from Murena in future :grinning:

:nerd_face: Murena is the brand name and /e/OS is the Operating system.

/e/OS Links - Click to expand or close ### Support
  • Facing issues with devices you purchased from us ? Send a mail with details to helpdesk@e.email

Websites

Telegram Channel

Social Media

Newsletters

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

6 Likes

Great work, as usual! Just wondering, I have a POCO X3 NFC (surya), how can I track the development of its /e/OS build?

Surya is as yet not supported. The build failed the last time the team ran it. We will update in these threads as to when the surya will be supported.

1 Like

Great stuff! I spent some time looking at this, and couldn’t work out how to make it work. I’m glad someone else managed it. As a matter of interest, did the fix come from /e/ developers or the community?

It was done by the /e/OS developers

4 Likes

My thanks to the team for continuing to try to build for this device with a small filesystem size available.

I do have 1.2-q-20220724-CUSTOM_EXTRA_MINIMAL_APPS-bacon running.

Introducing MINIMAL_APPS_sans-privacy

https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/5860

Thanks for sharing the link…I will pass it on to the build team member

1 Like

Thank you @e-member for extending the supported list !

1 Like

A number of users had asked queries about the murena.io email ID and around how to use it.
We have added a guide around this

3 Likes

Hi @Manoj,

1.2 released for dev version too ?

For now, it is released on stable R and Q builds. Dev v1.2 builds will be released ASAP. Will update.

2 Likes

This is at least the second occurrence in a short while of stable builds being released before dev builds, which seems to be going against the intention behind these build types, at least in part … is this a decision for reasons or just technical glitches?

3 Likes

The developer missed triggering the dev builds :slight_smile: Should happen today if it was not done late yesterday evening.

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:

I successfully updated my FP3+ to /e/OS v1.2, Android 10 (Q) on the stable track and everything seems to run smoothly as always, thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I installed 1.2 on my FP3+ yesterday (thank you!), and today there seemingly was a problem with battery drain again (as with the initial 1.0 build). I’ll let you know if this problem persists.

2 Likes

Still no 1.2 dev for my FP3 – will this only be done on a tuesday?

1 Like

:slight_smile: Looks like that. The release may get pushed to next week. Checking with the team on the reasons for the delay.

2 Likes

The update is that the v1.2 dev builds will be released early next week. We were focusing on the stable builds and now that they are out we move to the dev builds. We had some issues with the builds getting delayed and now do not want to push out a build with the weekend approaching.

4 Likes

Hello
thanks a lot for all this works.
My phone (galaxy S9 SM-G960F which is on /e/ for many years) made this update this morning on 9:00 and since that, I have huge battery drain, it shutdown because of low battery every 3 hours, it is very very hot. I’ve just send two SMS, so nothing that explains the drain battery. I had a very little battery drain since V1.0, but really nothing comparable.
It’s annoying because I go on camping this evening (and I don’t take computer or so…), so is there a simple way to come back to the V1.1 version to have my phone on holiday ?
Thanks a lot