Week 44 : Development and Testing Updates

The problem is that you can’t just install Android 11 over Android 10, you have to do a clean install. Many people cannot be expected to do that.

1 Like

Why not? What’s the problem with that?

1 Like

Starting from the old 10 based,
Installing the new 10 based, and taking a seedvault backup of your apps and settings,
will make you easily the move to the new 11 based

The problem is that you will lose all your installed apps and data

OK, but why?

Is there a wipe in pre- or postinstall Scripts?
And why?

Other vendors or custom roms can do this without loosing Apps and data, or?

At the moment if you do a ‘dirty flash’ (i.e. install the Android n ROM over the Android n-1 ROM) using TWRP the phone will probably not boot, but will eventually reboot back to TWRP. This is due to a bug which is present in LineageOS and in /e/ (although /e/ have implemented a fix, and there is also a workaround involving deleting some files using TWRP’s File Manager app after flashing the ROM, but before booting the new system.

Because of this bug, the Updater app will not process a downloaded update which increases the Android version. So the only way (apart from the delete files with TWRP workaround) to upgrade from Android 10 to Android 11, is to wipe (or maybe format) the data partition, which will of course delete all your installed apps and user data.

3 Likes

(it is not a LineageOS bug) - the /e/ team merged a migration path a week ago into Q (see “Technical details” in LineageDatabaseHelper: Downgrade DB_VERSION to 13 (!70) · Merge requests · e / os / android_lineage-sdk · GitLab), so after another Q update there’s a safe migration to R

So is it possible in LineageOS to dirty flash Android 11 over Android 10 without losing data? Does the phone still boot OK?

Yes. But until that fix is available, the point stands - a clean install is needed. Hopefully not for very much longer :slight_smile:

I’ve never heard from such problems on LOS.

If you want to follow LineageOS documentation, it would apparently depend on the device … https://wiki.lineageos.org/upgrade_guides.html

Example for an upgrade with a documented requirement of a data wipe: FP2 (https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/FP2/upgrade … Step 5)

Example for an upgrade without a documented requirement of a data wipe: FP3 (https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/FP3/upgrade … but see the note for the optional Step 6)

… this is lack of caution message also present Install LineageOS on a3xelte | LineageOS Wiki . When I first arrived at /e/ with this device intended for another user I had already hopped around on Lineage 8 to 10 at will, not understanding why the documentation differed - Edit on the need to flash a factory ROM. (But then this device shows some lack of cooperation with /e/ :slight_smile: )

Edit. I believe significant. This phone was designed and built before Oreo and during Verified Boot but before Android Verified Boot

For the devices I use and support - Sony Xperia Z3 z3 and Z3 Compact z3c - the advice is also to wipe or format date at step 5. So, at the moment, for users of these devices - and any others for which wiping is advised - the only options is a clean install which will lose your installed apps and user data

Apologies I had been thinking only of the need to flash a factory ROM, before upgrade to Android 9 or 10.

This warning does exist for my device (and several randomly checked) in https://wiki.lineageos.org/upgrade_guides.html:

Note: If you previously had any Google Apps add-on package installed on your device, you must install an updated package before the first boot of Android! If you did not have Google Apps installed, you must wipe the Data partition (or perform a factory reset) to install them.

In fact, I did have Error 7 in doing random changes in Lineage and must have got used to wiping Data and forgotten. :blush:

Am I reading this right, that the OTA 0.19 can’t be just downloaded and installed, (XA2 ultra, /e/ 0.18 “Android 10”), and that if I try it will fail? That I need to find a stock version of Android 11, wipe and flash that first, and do a clean install?

I really, really hope not.

Negative, updates of /e/ version are safe.

The issue just mentioned is upgrade of Android version.

Using OTA you should not be offered an upgrade at this time, your Android version will be unchanged, only /e/ will be updated.

Sorry for any confusion caused.

I am reassured but still a bit confused. I usually wait a week after release of a new UPDATE and read how well it has worked on other people’s devices, to make sure it is safe to do. I still want to do that reading, but it seems this thread is only talking about the UPGRADE. Where might I find people’s problems/successes with the UPDATE this time around?

1 Like

Apologies for the noise on upgrades! /e/ 0.19 had a slightly longer period of testing than usual, it would be nice to think that that has helped to result in fewer update issues.

It’s very difficult. The distinction is made more difficult because the version number is often talked about in various topics without attaching the android version letter.

If you are on eOS-018-q for example, you would presumably be interested to hear about people’s experiences updating to version 0.19-q.

Therefore you must try to establish what 0.19’s people may be talking about; n, o, p, or q!

And fairly soon there will be another: 0.19-r. :grinning:

A quick search and here’s a couple of topics on updates (to what?)

I guess people are looking for this thread:

Looks like updating to 0.19 works fine for many …

1 Like