Week 52, 2022: Development and Testing Updates

Releases

v1.7

v1.6

• Release notes

• Some users reported their devices missed the v1.6 builds.

• Check if your device has an OS upgrade available. For e.g. if you are on R check if there is a S version for the device
    • Where to check for the build ?
      • Look for your device name here
      • There may be a few names missing from the supported device list. That is because by default, we do not show devices that are not supported.
      • we are planning to stop supporting multiple versions of the OS on the same device. This decision has been taken as application do not work seemlessly on older OS versions.

Share your feedback and vote on v1.6

Previous releases & user feedback :open_file_folder:

GSI

v1.6

• Download here
    • Sources available here
    • version is /e/OS Q
    • S and R version of GSI yet to be planned. Awaiting developer availability

OS OTA upgrades

Completed

• FP3 Q to R stable
  • OnePlus Nord Q to R (stable build)
  • Samsung s7/ s7+
  • Samsung s9 / s9+

Upcoming

• Samsung s8 /s8+
    • Pie to S OTA upgrade
    • ETA : To be announced :crossed_fingers:
What we mean by OS OTA upgrade - Click to expand or close

:nerd_face: OTA OS upgrade means the upgrade to a higher OS level. Updates will be delivered Over the Air (OTA). The OTA upgrades are available on official builds only. Users who have unofficial or custom-builds will not get the notification to install the upgrade build. They will have to manually download and flash the Q builds once they are released, which may result in data loss.

Unofficial ROM build refer the section ROM Builders - Unofficial and Custom

Wishing all users a Happy New Year 2023 :partying_face: :pray: :firecracker: :christmas_tree:

This week marks the end of 2022 and another year rolls by.

2022 will be remembered for a lot of things besides an amazing world cup final :argentina: :fr:

At /e/OS we had a year full of achievements, we rolled out our own device the Murena One, released Advanced Privacy and improved the App Lounge. These are just small steps in the right direction. We are thankful for the advice of all our users and well wishers.

Here’s wishing each and everyone of you a very happy and prosperous 2023.
We will continue these threads and meet in the new year with more updates and comments.

Recent Documentation updates
ROM Builders - Unofficial and Custom
  • Pleas update your Docker image to tne latest image we released
  • Those building using traditional repo sync method refer android_prebuilts_prebuiltapks_lfs
  • You will have to install git-lfs (sudo apt-get install git-lfs)
  • After completing a repo sync, you will have to run repo forall -c ‘git lfs pull’

:nerd_face: Reason behind these changes:

Due to the large size of the android_prebuilts_prebuiltapks we have switched to using LFS, and now you will need to refer to android_prebuilts_prebuiltapks_lfs

End of official support for Nougat, Oreo and Pie 😞 For Pie, Oreo and Nougat the official /e/OS support draws to a close.

Reasons for dropping official support are:

• newly released applications like App Lounge, Advanced privacy code has not been customized for these OS versions.
  • lack of dedicated ROM Maintainers
  • no support upstream (Lineage dropped support for Pie sometime back)
  • device trees will continue to exist in the Gitlab and users with build skills can create custom ROMs on these builds
  • Security patches and vendor patches for the Pie, Oreo and Nougat code will be updated based on availability.

:nerd_face: Google stops security patches for OS after some time. Similarly, Vendors drop support for older models when they release newer models in the market. Then it depends on developers from various communities to backport the patches.

Device and Vendor specific Announcements

:loudspeaker: Gigaset GS290

• We have stopped the sales of the Gigaset GS290 on the eSolutionsShop as the vendor has stopped production of the device. We will continue support for existing users.

:loudspeaker: Message being shared on the request of our vendor partners

• Vendors whose phones we sell on our eSolutions Store do not directly sell /e/OS flashed devices.
  • The vendors only sell their devices with their own stock ROM.
  • To get pre flashed /e/OS phones, you have to purchase them from the eSolutions Shop.

:loudspeaker: /e/OS Pre flashed device sales

• We sell directly in EU, US, Canada.
  • Find details of what devices are available in which countries here eSolutions Shop.
  • In Australia we do not sell directly. You can purchase preflashed /e/OS devices from this site

:loudspeaker: Murena One released
A phone from Murena with /e/OS installed has been launched and is available for purchase. Check the device specs here

Expect more device releases from Murena in future :grinning:

:nerd_face: Murena is the brand name and /e/OS is the operating system.

/e/OS Links

Support

• Facing issues with devices you purchased from us ? Send a mail with details to helpdesk@e.email

Websites

Telegram Channel

Social Media

Newsletters

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

21 Likes

Yes, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all at Murena. Thank you for what you do.

4 Likes

Hi @Manoj, the link to the Milestones for v1.7 does not work for me. At least there are not milestones shown, even if I’m logged in with my /e/-Gitlab user. Is it the correct link or do I miss something?

Thanks for all your work and all the best for 2023!

Johann

1 Like
2 Likes

The link had some filters. Have removed them. Pl check if you are able to open it now.

2 Likes

Works fine now! Thanks!

I can’t wait for the Samsung S8 update. :]

(From what I understand, it’s a tough one, so thanks for the efforts in helping us try to keep our S8s up to date)

Happy holidays

Good evening and Happy new year too! I’m wondering about the FP3 9 to 10 update. It’s been marked as completed for several weeks now, does it mean the Easy Installer update is ready for us to upgrade manually, and that it’ll be released soon? Thank you for your work.

OTA (= over the air) means via the updater in the Settings.
This has nothing to do with the Easy Installer.

You can easily check whether you are on the stable release channel …

I guess I confused with the OTA 9 to 10 upgrade, sorry. People stuck on Android 9 on the FP3 have been told via this topic weeks ago that it wasn’t possible and would be done via an Easy Installer update to help people doing the migration with a backup of their data. Since then, no news, so I’m just asking.

3 Likes

Then do I have to understand that no communication will be provided to the users about this? Because in October Manoj said that:

On the FP3 Pie to Q / R we will upgrade the Easy Installer to help with this update. The only difference would be this would be a manual effort, unlike an OTA upgrade. Also, the users will have to take a backup of their data as the upgrade will wipe all data before updating.

Source:

What I’m wondering is mostly: will there be a notification at some point, outisde of the development and testing updates topics, outside of the forum as well, about the manual update users will have to do?

Hello everybody,

i have tried the Easy Installer V0.17 with MacOS. Unfortunately without success, see here,

I would be very pleased to hear about possible solutions.

All the best
Box

In the end it is just the easy installer as it is I guess:

“In addition, during the previous release our team made it possible to migrate your Fairphone 4 to AOSP 12 and Fairphone 3 to AOSP 11. If you are on AOSP 9, you should migrate manually making sure to back up your data. The Easy Installer will help you with the rest.”

I understood it the same as you, there will be some help provided to backup the data, although I could not figure out how…

1 Like

Week 47, 2022: Development and Testing Updates

@Manoj: What’s the current status? There’s some confusion because the Easy Installer itself got updated in the meantime. Is there still something to come regarding the FP3 Pie to Q/R upgrade? Or is this the final state of things? …

1 Like

The FP3 Q to R OS OTA upgrade is available on stable builds only. Users on dev build have to do the upgrade manually.

1 Like

Ok, but …

Meaning FP3 users on Pie don’t need to wait for any help with the necessary backup coming with an updated version of the Easy Installer?

Wouldn’t it be easy to make a sticky topic/wiki/howto related to upgrading Fairphone 3(+)? There have been a huge number of questions about this in recent weeks…

1 Like

@AnotherElk @MRTN I am checking with the team if there are any further updates on the FP3 upgrades. Since most of the team members are on vacation this week, there could be a delay in getting the response. Will share the minute I have any details.

6 Likes