When will we be able to flash /e/ android 10 on S9 with the easy installer?

Hi eOS Guru @SuzieQ :slight_smile:

We are not finished yet, but we HAVE made some good progress thanks to your last post. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

So my S9+ is NOT a brick thanks to you. I followed the above post (adjusted a few things which I will add below for others later) and am now back on eOS 0.14 O (Oreo) / A8.10 and I have eRecovery (not TWRP). SO GOOD to see that happy bouncing “e” again… I know everyone thinks they have “bricked” their phone but I was starting to really think I may not be able to recover. Honestly, thanks to you SuzieQ. So very grateful for your help!!

Ok… so thought it time to try to install A10 again, so put phone into Download mode, and ran Odin… BUT it failed / stopped in the same place as before, at the section “recovery” of the flashing, with same error message: sw rev. check fail (bootloader) device

So… rather than mess it up again, I will stop and AWAIT your thoughts on how we might be able to get A10 on this phone…

THOUGHT / COMMENT
I don’t know if this matters or is part of the problem, but in attempting all the above adb terminal commands, I first tried it on my Mac as you had given me links to D/L and install ADB for mac. It installed etc fine, BUT when I did the command to list the phone, it showed it started running adb and tcp/ip port number I think it was, so the output looked like it should EXCEPT it did NOT display the device… it said here’s the list of devices but there were actually NO devices listed. Thinking it was a typical “mac terminal” thing where apple is always slightly changing terminal commands from the standard linux ones, I thought fine, I will just do it in my WIN 10. So I installed adb in WIN 10 etc, and the same thing happened… so I just ignored that, and thats when I did the .\abd and made it work :slight_smile:

Very grateful :slight_smile:
David

=====================
Comments re the previous post:

• Point 1. above was missing one step… “Apply Update”
    So SHOULD BE: S9plus :: eRecovery > Advanced > Enable ADB > Apply Update > Choose from microSD
  • Point 2. above, I had to move the file “e-latest-star2lte.zip” into the same folder as the “platform-tools” so it could find the file to side-load.
    AND… I dont know why but the terminal command would NOT work for me, until I put “a dot and backslash” in front of the adb command. I think it might be like a sudo addition in linux terminal. But it worked!!
    .\adb sideload e-latest-star2lte.zip
    =====================

Hello David,
I assume that you only mean it in the best sense, but I ask you not to ascribe superlatives à la eOS Guru to me. Yes, I have reached a level of knowledge with which I can master numerous problems around the /e/ OS installation. But I also know that there is much more I don’t know and that I make mistakes. After all, I have already turned three Samsung devices into electronic waste, even though Samsung devices are very robust smartphones in themselves.

/e/ OS 'O’reo e-0.14 and eRecovery ‘Q’ e-0.13-q are not made for each other. We need to get Stock Android 10 with Stock Android Recovery installed on your S9+ for /e/ OS ‘Q’ and eRecovery ‘Q’ or TWRP Recovery to work properly.

Can you show me the ‘LOG’ file ‘FAIL’ from Odin 3.14. as a screenshot according to my example below:

Since the firmware installation with Odin always fails at the same point, I can imagine that there is a defect in a partition of the memory.

If the S9+ was in my hands, I would now try to flash Stock Android 10 again - but with extended Odin options as shown.

The additional Nand Erase and Re-Partition will completely reset S9+ memory structure. Now click on the ’ Start ’ button to flash the firmware. During the flashing process, " NAND Erase " is displayed in the log field. Once the process is complete, your device will automatically reboot.

Odin 3.14.4 is Samsung’s proprietary flash software. So these additional features are provided by Samsung to deeply impact the device. It’s not without risk, like any flash process, which I’ve personally already taken. Please make up your own mind und let uns know.

Update: Images removed by author

1 Like

Good morning @SuzieQ

YES my comments were most respectfully offered, though I understand your comments.

I appreciate your understanding that its best to get the technically preferred position of A10 + eOS Q etc… if we can achieve that, then I feel I have a phone that should last me years that should also be able to receive security updates etc. That is my objective as this will be my daily driver. I also understand the risk and am happy to be guided by you and will try the Extended Options in Odin when you say to. As you say, let’s go :slight_smile:

After your comments yesterday, I upgraded Odin to 3.14 also. I will now attempt A10 flash again and take photos as you requested…

David

===========
EDIT: Adding photos as requested.
EDIT: Images removed

Hello David,
these photos are from today, so only taken now, right?

That means flashing with advanced Odin options didn’t fix the bug, right?

By the way: If you want, you can remove the pictures again,. Picture N° 2 is very significant …

Hi…

YES images from now…

NO… I did the standard flash (no advanced settings) so you could see it BEFORE I took the risk :slight_smile:

Ok… my images have been removed.

I await your comments on my 2nd. image… and if I should do the extended flash, I am happy to. I DID NOT keep a copy of your image on that so now I am not sure what it was as far as what I should select in the extended flash…

Hi @ITVAULT, it looks like you like complicated playing, have a try with heimdall

Flashing Samsung Firmware with Heimdall

I have saved the images.

How quickly can you download another stock android 10? device 14 binary 13 do not match.

I am happy to pay a few dollars and do it quickly like I did the other day from that samfrew.com website…

If I know exactly what I need… i think it took 10 mins last time for 5 GB

Is it IMPORTANT to have the SIM in the phone when flashing… ? as mine is NOT in the S9+ at this point… ?

haha… actually I am just trying to achieve my objective of a A10 / eOSQ :slight_smile:

No. I always insert the SIM only after the system has started successfully.

In your photo of your S9+, the error message gives an important hint: device 14 binary 13.
This means that the stock Android ROM you want to flash has a binary 13, while the S9+ has a binary 14. Samsung usually does not allow you to flash to a lower binary than the one present in your device. At the very beginning I had asked about the bootloader version, remember?

My idea now is to flash the latest January 2021 version of stock Android 10 TEL-G965FXXSEFUA1. Please wait a few minutes …

All sounds great… standing by…

I think you have the android 10 Samsung Firmware installed on your device since you have flashing it

Combined correctly. Then installed with the /e/asy installer /e/ OS 'O’reo ‘stable’. Since then, the same stock Android version can not be installed completely.

How do you explain the difference of the binaries: Device 14 - Binary 13 (Android 10)?

Please scroll up a bit more and get a comprehensive picture - and please let us know your assessment.

device 14 binary 13.

Good idea let’s try it !

I have it D/Ling now… so time for a coffee I guess…

Well, to be quite honest, I would have liked more profound information from you.

It’s well after 10:00 p.m. in Europe. I’ve just put on a mint tea, although I’m actually also after coffee. Well, maybe later yet … :))

Well if we are going to be honest, I am really a “moka man”… some chocolate in with the coffee does the magic for me…

The D/L is going a little slow today… only 0.7 of 4.7 GB done… looks like it might be another hour.

For this slow download you pay how many dollars to which service company? This will take even longer …