Where to get the 1.0 dev builds?

Hi,

Where can the official development builds of the 1.0 branch be found?

I am using /e/ on Fairphone 4, had the stable version installed, and in OTA settings, I switched to the development releases. I was then on 1.0, still before it became a rc. Today I wanted to update to the last 1.0-rc(4?), but the OTA updater was crashing. I exported the update to SD card, tried to flash it from recovery, and failed.

I installed the 0.23 again (fastboot), without reset, boot is stuck on the e logo.

Now I would like to avoid wiping the data partition:) So I’d like to try to flash 1.0 again. But it is really nowhere to be found. The only links to the images server from the FP4 wiki page are:

Is there a location with the 1.0 branch dev builds?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

v 1.0-dev is not yet released.
Test builds are only available by the testing channel

Factory reset or Wiping /data don’t wipe /internal storage, but
Formating /data does wipe /internal storage

Thanks Piero, I am aware of that. Where can I find the testing channel (other then in the OTA updater app)?

Or, where can the OTA archives be manually downloaded from?

Testing channel is available on developer settings.

So you are asking for testing builds ? It sounds like you already allowed the OTA testing channel and you have found rc4 problematic ?

In this case you should probably volunteer to be a tester https://doc.e.foundation/testers then you will have an easy way to report it !

Meanwhile it will be as safe as using the testing channel to delete your update history, rollback to v0.23 and start again, if offered rc3 you might give that a try.

As always keep fully backed up if using the testing channel.

https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/os/releases/-/tags

1 Like

Thanks for the replies, people:)

@LobiSfondati yes, that’s what I did; I was on the testing channel for OTA updates.

@aibd Yes, I was already on the testing channel, one of the 1.0-beta builds. Yesterday I wanted to update to 1.0-rc.4. The package downloaded, and the updater crashed as soon as I tapped Install. I exported the update as .zip, and saved it to SD card. Rebooted to recovery, and tried to manually install it. Its signature checking failed - and as I like to see things get broken:)), I continued to flash that zip. Which then failed (some checksum mismatch iirc - wondering how can it be).

Then I tried to flash again the dev build of 0.23 that is linked from FP4 wiki page – but actually its signature verification also failed (error 21) (?!) (the sha256 is correct), I continued, and then the same error (iirc) as I got when flashing the 1.0-rc.4: `Error applying update: 29 (ErrorCode::kDownloadOperationHashMismatch).

Then I flashed the stable build for FP4 via fastboot. Did not reset userdata. The phone doesn’t boot. I have to admit I don’t see deep enough into Android to know why but I guess it is because of the downgrade? That’s why I wanted to try to download the 1.0-rc4 manually, to be able to check the hash (but thinking about it now, probably the OTA updater does it) and flash it manually from recovery. Or, ideally, get a fastboot-flashable version of it.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, I sent an e-mail to join the testers team:)

1 Like

I do not know enough about Fairphone 4 (or how the testing team works on stable) to be useful.

However the failed zip verification just points to using a “wrong method”. Edit, missed saying that I do not fully follow if you have actually flip-flopped between stable and dev, that is, I do not know which was in your update. Stable and dev are not to be swapped lightly, and certainly not without preparation to wipe data.

My guess your best bet with reinstalling 0.23 will be with the install instructions fastboot method – I guess with a certain amount of deleting partitions that are usually required to be deleted.

However the testing team may be able to throw you a lifeline I would hope !

Good luck

Second edit !

I guess it is because of the downgrade?

In itself, that is not a reason for failure (an /e/ ROM is the full /system, so without changing channel you can downgrade with the same degree of ease and risk as upgrade). In looking for a fix for 0.23, I would be trying to identify which channel you should be attempting to install right now.

Thank you for the answers, everyone. I had to do the factory reset after all.

Too bad I forgot to switch between system a/b when the phone could not boot the first time:) Lesson learnt.

1 Like