Will /e/ survive the introduction of Fuschia?

I was reading about how Google plans to replace Android with a new kernel and OS called Fuschia.

If that happens, will that lead to a huge proportion of the Android app developers abandoning Android in favor of Fuschia? And if that does happen, will the reservoir of Android apps available for /e/ decline to extremely low levels, making /e/ a very unattractive OS? And - without Google developing Android any longer, will that mean that /e/ will eventually die out due to lack of any further advancements?

I am no expert in these matters in any way, so it is possible my thinking about this is incorrect - I hope it is! But I would like to know how things would likely play out for /e/ if Google abandons Android.

1 Like

Hi, this is an interesting support.
However, if Fuschia is really meant to replace Android, I cannot imagine they won’t add support for compatibility, at least for a few years, with existing Android apps. Otherwise, this would break their ecosystem and leave billions users with older devices that cannot update apps anymore.
However, we’d like to release an alternative app development SDK eventually.

1 Like

Your response about the apps makes sense.

But, aside from the apps, what about the underlying Android OS itself? If Google at some point switches to Fuschia, and no longer maintains/develops the Android OS itself, will that be a fatal blow to the long term viability of /e/?

The e.foundation is in my understanding a long term initiative to increase the privacy of mobile devices.
If Android gets abandoned at some point in the future, then the e.foundation will need to redirect their efforts away from Android to for example Fuchsia in order to maintain their goal of providing a privacy respecting operating system.

But… I assume that Fuschia - or whatever - would not be open source. So, then how could /e/ use/build upon it?

According to Wikipedia:

It is distributed as free and open-source software under a mix of software licenses, including BSD 3 clause, MIT, and Apache 2.0.

You can find the source code here: https://fuchsia.googlesource.com/

1 Like