A german manual how to install an /e/ ROM

Hey there,

I just wrote a German manual how to get an /e/ ROM to a Galaxy S7 (by using Odin3).
It’s not very technical or even competent but it helped already two friends who struggled with the installation guide shown here and who now are are also able to use this fantastic OS.

question(s):

1. Is such a post welcomed here and
  2. if yes, in which section should I post it?
4 Likes

Hi @biggie first of all thanks for writing a manual
We have a forum in German where you can post it.
Let me know in case you are not able to post to it.

If you need, you can use all texts/pictures from this tutorial :

Alright, I’ll post it there.

Thx, maybe I wait a little to post the manual and try to insert the pics and parts from the English manual before.

1 Like

Which StockROM Android version(s) PDA/CSC were the starting point for your successful downgrades to Android 7.x Nougat and subsequent /e/ OS ROM e-o.7-n- installations?

Welche StockROM Android Version(en) PDA/CSC waren die Ausgangsbasis für deine erfolgreichen Downgrades auf Android 7.x Nougat und anschließenden /e/ OS ROM e-o.7-n- Installationen?

I really can’t remember. I think at least one of my two Galaxy S7 phones was updated to the latest supported oreo version. But I’m not sure about the second one. Both of them are 2nd hand bought until I installed /e/.

After manually checking for an update on the device, I get a message in StockROM Android 8.0.0:

:sunny: Alter updating, you will not be able to downgrade to the old software because of updates to the security policy.

When trying to downgrade from a current Oreo 8.0.0 version 2019 to Nougat 7.0, I get the error message:

“SW REV.” CHECK FAIL (BOOTLOADER) DEVICE: 7, BINARY: 2

In my experience, Samsung’s download mode refuses due to Samsung’s internal firmware revision number downgrade from newer versions to older versions.

So how can I downgrade from StockROM Android Oreo 8.0.0 year 2019 to StockROM Android Nougat 7.0 year 2017/2018 to install /e/ OS e-0.7-n- dev (nougat)? What is the trick?

Mmh. I’m not quite sure about it.
So you are not able to install /e/ without downgrading?
I did not downgrade to nougat before I installed the Custom ROM via Odin and TWRP.

Yes, I did. But then the device isn’t usable, because the errors mentioned several times in the forum already occur, e.g.

1. Switching off the phone is no longer possible, because it is stuck in a boot loop and thus constantly reboots by itself: Shutting down (problem á la → S9/S9+)
  2. SIM card is not recognized
  3. SIM network “Not availabe”
  4. IMEI number unknown
  5. Modem is not recognized "Baseband version Unknown

Did you use Odin to install /e/?

Yes, with Odin3 v3.14.1 I’ve also worked with other Samsung devices.

Okay. So you are familiar with the installation itself.
Was one of these devices with Android 8 Oreo or higher?
And did you sideload via terminal (minimal ADB and fastboot) from your computer?

1. Yes.
  2. For the Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge only StockROM Oreo 8.0.0 is currently available.
  3. No. TWRP does that just as well.

I used minimal ADB and fastboot to check if the debugging mode is really on and if the device isn’t unlocked. I feel more confident by using this little tool to install a custom ROM.

Maybe you can find and download the Android 7 Nougat firmware via a tool like samfirm or here (https://updato.com/firmware-archive-select-model/?exact=1&q=GALAXY%20S7) to downgrade the device before retrying to install /e/?

Or you try if there is a difference by using minimal ADB and fastboot at first. But I don’t really think so.

1. Yes, “ADB” works equally well on Windows, Linux and macOS. I use it too

2. The download of a StockROM Android 7.0 Nougat firmware was no problem. There are numerous possibilities.

3. ADB’s “sideload” can install *.zip files like TRWP “Install”.

An example:

Patch de device

1. Download the patch from here
  2. Install the patch
  3. On the device, go into Advanced > ADB Sideload , then swipe to begin sideload
  4. From the computer, please run adb sideload <patch file>

With TWRP “Install” I can install the “no-verity-opt-encrypt-samsung-1.0.zip” as well. This has worked fine several times.

As I’ve informed: Samsung’s download mode refuses due to Samsung’s internal firmware revision number downgrade from newer versions to older versions.. I was hoping there was a trick I didn’t know to fool this mechanism.

Yes installed via TWRP already. But one time it failed. I don’t know why. Since then I use minimal ADB and fastboot to check if something failed in the previous settings.

Maybe someone found the trick you need here (it’s a Galaxy S7 edge, but should work):

I’m afraid the guide does not work anymore due to the new bootloader 3. :worried:

@biggie, thank you for your efforts.

“In my experience, Samsung’s download mode refuses due to Samsung’s internal firmware revision number downgrade from newer versions to older versions.” Those’re the gist of my words …

-READ You can’t flash back to version 6.0 now because of (Android Oreo 8.0 is using different version of boot-loader) but there are some late Android 7.0 with updated boot-loader, those are using boot-loader binary v2, so binary v1 it will be conflicted and won’t work upon flash.

-NOTE
But in my case I used (v7.0 in March 2018) because it has the binary boot-loader v2 with it (whatever it called, it’s important otherwise it will not work which I’ve tried)

: : :

Between StockROM versions 7.0 and 8.0.0 there is only a narrow range that allows a downgrade from Oreo 8.0.0 to Nougart 7.0. Otherwise the following applies: :sunny: Alter updating, you will not be able to downgrade to the old software because of updates to the security policy.

I agree.