Accent colour change eOS 1.0

Any idea how to change the accent colour of the theme? Currently it is set to blue with no other options. Is there a way to add more?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

It is a common bug, i have this problem after december 2021 update. No fix for now.

oh, ok
thank you, I’ll just wait for the fix them. that’s all good

You can track progress here, I think …

1 Like

I’m also expecting some customization for this, especially when the settings menu seems to be designed to make it possible later.

Found a workaround via ADB, tested on FP4:

use this command to change the accent color, in this example to purple:
adb shell cmd overlay enable com.android.theme.color.purple

If you want to change the color back, use this command:
adb shell cmd overlay disable com.android.theme.color.purple

This also worked for my FP4 for green and ocean and should work for all of these colors (case sensitive):
blue (default)
black
green
ocean
space
orchid
purple

7 Likes

Cool find. :+1:
That worked on the Teracube also. I wanted Cyan (no go) but Ocean was close enough. Nice.

I’m rooted so I only had to bring up Termux, type su to get a root prompt and use your line starting with cmd.

I wonder if something like Tasker could be used in this regard. Might give it a shot.

1 Like

Hey Guys!
Seems like I lost the possibility to change the colour on my Xperia Z5 Compact with the update to Q1.4. Just blue now as well…
any ideas how to get it back without ADB? I am not sure if I understand that right and dont wnat to break something I cant fix myelf :slight_smile:

Edit: I dont find the option for the colours in the developers menu liek mentioned in the article below, is that just for my device or generally so on e?

Btw, the colour remained the same after the update, just as I wanted to change somehing in the display profile I lost the colour options…
So the colors are clearly there somewhere :slight_smile:

It seems @MaxO, that this issue

was closed, since last mentioned in this thread, with

That’s our choice not to let the user change the accent color.

1 Like

Oh, wow. Thanks for making that clear at least…
Tried the ADB command from above and now I am back on ocean colour without breaking something :slight_smile:
Thanks @dinosophos !

Any chance it would be reconsidered? I just upgraded to Android 12 and it’s a pity that the dynamic accent color is not available due to this. (even if it’s not a priority I agree)

Or is there a way to do this with adb?

Did you try the method of @dinosophos in Post #6, confirmed working for @marcdw ?

1 Like

Thank you for your answer, I didn’t try because I didn’t know what would be the parameter for Dynamic Color.

Also I think the command provided does not work anymore based on this reply on XDA forum: [Mod] Change System UI Icons, Colors & Icon Shapes [ADB/No Root]

Concerning the requirement of root, you can enable Rooted Debugging in the Developer options (tap the Build number in the settings a few times to make them visible). Not every Android flavour has this, but /e/OS in a growing number of builds has.
This gives root privileges only to ADB, so a requirement of root for executing certain ADB commands would be met.

Thanks for the tip, I didn’t know that.
Unfortunately the adb shell cmd overlay enable com.android.theme.color.purple still gives an error.

I found the command: shell cmd overlay list which results to:

com.android.networkstack
[x] com.android.networkstack.overlay

android
[ ] com.android.internal.display.cutout.emulation.corner
[x] org.lineageos.overlay.customization.blacktheme
[ ] com.android.internal.display.cutout.emulation.double
[ ] com.android.theme.icon.pebble
[ ] com.android.theme.icon.square
[ ] com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural_wide_back
[ ] com.android.theme.icon.vessel
[ ] com.android.theme.icon.taperedrect
[ ] com.android.internal.display.cutout.emulation.hole
[ ] com.android.internal.display.cutout.emulation.tall
[ ] com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.threebutton
[ ] com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.twobutton
[ ] com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural_extra_wide_back
[ ] org.lineageos.overlay.font.rubik
[ ] com.android.theme.icon.teardrop
[ ] com.android.theme.font.notoserifsource
[ ] com.android.internal.display.cutout.emulation.waterfall
[ ] org.lineageos.overlay.customization.navbar.nohint
[ ] org.lineageos.overlay.font.lato
[ ] com.android.theme.icon.squircle
[x] com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural
[ ] com.android.theme.icon.roundedrect
[ ] com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural_narrow_back
[ ] com.android.internal.systemui.onehanded.gestural

com.android.launcher3
[x] com.android.launcher3.overlay

com.android.wifi.resources
[x] com.android.wifi.resources.fairphone.FP3

com.qualcomm.qti.poweroffalarm
[x] foundation.e.poweroffalarmoverlay

com.qualcomm.embms
[x] foundation.e.embmsoverlay

As the commands related to accent colors are not listed I think it means that its not available.

Did you execute adb root before that? (Perhaps I should have mentioned that.)

No I did not, thanks for that, but sadly after executing it the list remains the same. So it seems I’ll have to wait for the developers to enable it maybe one day?

I forgot about this subject until now. Tried again on Essential PH-1 with 1.8.1-q-dev and T2e emerald with 1.8.1-r-dev. Worked on both.
Being rooted, however, I was able to do the cmd command in the terminal. Haven’t tried but I assume it will work via adb since both builds are dev and have rooted debugging.

Having a choice between stable and dev builds for the emerald I think I intentionally went back to dev (when I had to do a reflash from scratch) for the rooted debugging. Just in case I decided not to root.

In my understanding, the problem is that it changed with Android S. I have a FP3 and my version is 1.9-s-dev.

Or at at least I did not manage to make it work.