Alternative to eSpeak?

Great, that worked for me, Amy is a very welcome change from Robert the Robot - however I tried to tweak him/her/it!!!

@pmoody, this solution puts you solidly in the /e/ “Hero” category- your instructions are clear, concise and direct and helped me update without any issue whatsoever. How you were able to figure this out is a wonder to me…

Thank you and cheers! :beers:

2 Likes

Bonsoir.
Envoie des données à

Google Analytics
3com.google.android.apps.analytics

1 Like

For completeness and because I tried: Speech services by Google are also working without MicroG or GAPPS

1 Like

Addendum: Samsung Note 3 (SM-N9005), Android 9, LOS 16.0

I hope cogui-ai could offer good default TTS / STT in the near future.

https://github.com/coqui-ai

https://coqui.ai/about

Edit: English TTS sample in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0OtrtOipxE&t=180

If time tag isn’t working sample is starting at 3 min.

1 Like

Great link, did you test it? TTS 0.4.2 documentation

Not yet, did check tough that there’s STT model for my native lsnguage, TTS are coming (time will show which languages available).

I mostly currently miss good TTS for Feeder & Organic Maps etc. Sure when “Elivia” is available STT is nice to have too. Sure if it works well and someone has special needs, why not also for speach to text. Sure there are cases it could be handy at home too, not in the public so much.

Just wanted to bump this thread to share that Ivona installs and works flawlessly on the Google Pixel 4a with /e/OS R- v0.18.

Ivona can still be accessed
Here
It’s working great with 0.22

Note that the Hq is compatible for newer androids
for offline on newer androids try here

1 Like

I still hope Coqui will success. Ivona might be good option until then if your language is supported, mine unfortunately isn’t. And eSpeak is unfortunately just awful to listen, especially at my language.

I own a refurbished S9+ bought at e.shop model
SM-G965F with Android 10

e_star2lte-userdebug 10 QQ3A.200805.001 eng.root.20220228.102023 dev-keys,stable-release

and i’ve followed previous instructions. All works perfectly.
Many thanks!

Hello
I do not have writing rights in this folder ?

Bonjour,
J’ai essayé de suivre votre tuto, mais impossible de réaliser l’ultime étape qui est de copier le dossier dans le dossier obb.
Le dossier obb n’est pas accessible. Peut-être parce-que mon téléphone n’est pas rooté…dommage.

Bonjour,
J’ai eu la même problème et je l’ai résolu facilement.

1/ J’ai branché mon smartphone sur mon ordinateur portable ( installé avec ubuntu )
2/ J’ai sélectionné ’ transfert de fichiers ’ sur le smartphone. Le dossier du smartphone apparait sur l’ordinateur.
3/ Et là miracle, j’ai pu réaliser l’ultime étape. Et Ivona fonctionne.

Cordialement.

Bonjour
Je suis très surpris que ça fonctionne comme ça. Moi aussi je l’ai copié depuis le PC mais en utilisant ADB shell

En effet, moi aussi. Mais au final j’ai été bien inspiré car je ne suis pas un geek :slightly_smiling_face:

Apparently, the development team is going to switch back to PicoTTS :

4 Likes

Since /e/ moved now back to PicoTTS and this leaved some of us without TTS at all + installing espeak or some other at f-droid isn’t just option for some languages…

I suggest you to listen samples of mimic3:

I’ve suggested that as one alternative to espeak at gitlab a while ago, but it still doesn’t have android version and didn’t at least yet got any intrest by team, so… If you like what mimic3 samples sounds like, let your voice be heard at their github. I flled request for android version to f-droid to their issue tracker. Fell free to comment there, if you feel like they should notice rhe need sooner than they probably have planed to… This might, or might not help. just lets not spam there.

3 Likes