Alternatives to get off the whatsapp crack-pipe, say NO to whatsapp!

Absolutely!!! In fact I use both, even if here in Italy Signal is not so common as other countries

yes go from one bad to another. Synology is also known to phone home and storage many of your data. If you want to be secure then use Signal or Tremor.

Where do you get this info from?

this is really good news!!

i like Matrix too, specifically that they try really hard to encourage bridges with other IMs

2 Likes

for one thing I did use synology nas and did test with monitoring tools and secondly its made by a big company. Might be that it was only my one but I dont trust companies like Synology. I made my own nas a few years ago and got rid of nas made by companies like qnap, synology and so on.

But believe what you want its up to you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What do you mean? briar does not work on ios or linux or bsd. It’s not cross-platform, so it’s not really a viable alternative.

Tremor? What is that?

I think it is Important to point out the features of the app if mentioned here, as an alternative to whatsapp implies it can do voice chat also.
Briar and Session is text only+ able to send attachments, dont know what file size restriction are imposed but it would be handy to know also
I for one was eager to try Session when i saw it posted here a few weeks ago, until i installed it only to discover it cannot do voice calls. Just saying

1 Like

Signal is capable of voice and video calls

Oops u are right I meant to say" Session", thxs for pointing that out have amended the post.

1 Like

As I said before, I use Signal and I’ll stick with it but I’ll keep an eye on Riot. On matrix.org, Lace Vick posted the following chart that might help: https://t.co/7zxczdjwwJ
Have a nice day

1 Like

That may be true, but it also may change at any point and while they might have refused Russia, they might behave differently towards other organizations.

If you trust the Telegram providers that’s fine for you, but personally, I’d hardly recommend it to anyone for that sole reason. People should be aware of and then decide whether or not they are fine with it.

Personally, Signal gets my recommendation. It’s open source and properly end-to-end encrypted. It’s very unfortunate that not more people use Signal.
Threema is also very good and actually used quite a bit in Europe, but while they use an open source library for the encryption the app itself is not open source, which is a big minus. Well at least there have been authorized reviews of the source code but that just doesn’t put it on the same thrust-worthy level as a reviewed open source app like Signal.

4 Likes

Isnt your phone number one very large Tracker?
Marcuscdw, put a link in the messenger comparision thread that Signal eventually will no longer need a telephone number to sign up, BUT that has not happened yet!, Until that happens then maybe it will be OK. I downloaded signal the other day and the very 1st thing it wants to do is Track you by asking to disclose your cell phone telephone number, perhaps i am exagerating with the “track you” phrase, but still it should all make u uncomfortable as your mobile cell telephone number is your sacred personal information! It is like giving out your national ID, social security number, international reference number.

5 Likes

Then, to avoid the tracking by mobile number, the only way is to use a messenger that doesn’t rely on this, and for now, maybe, the only tool very similar to Signal, is Session that is basically a signal fork but without the mobile number registration and a blockchain technology for texting.
I also remember a French private messenger that use randomic ID for the use, but now I cannot remember the name, anyway is very similar to Session, with optional business plans

3 Likes

Are you maybe thinking of the p2p messaging app TwinMe?

I don’t think so, but I’m getting old and now I have doubts! :smiley:

Good. You’re the only one who can figure that out! :smiley: Maybe it’s olvid.io you’re thinking of.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss! :wink:

Intéressant !!! Thanks a lot