App Lounge - know all about it

Hello,

is the ‘No-Google mode’ will be available in E/os v1.2 ?

Thanks.

I like that they are thanking other projects at the end of the post, to give them recognition and show that they work together in the same direction.

5 Likes

Hi all!

There are some apps I’m not finding in the App Lounge. I know I may go through Aurora store to find them but any idea why this is happening ? I thought all apps within Google Play Store where within the App Lounge…

I checked and all apps are selected, not only FOSS or PWA.

Can you provide some example apps so we can check?

2 Likes

@marcdw Thanks for your reply. This health app for exemple :

I don’t know where I’m mistaken something…

Found it with App Lounge 2.3.1 and /e/OS 1.1. Maybe check for upgrades?

2 Likes

Might the installation be only allowed from dedicated areas? Do you use a fake IP using advanced privacy (or another VPN solution)?

2 Likes

Hi all and thanks for yiur replies !

@MaMaTT88 I have the same versions as yiur for the App Lounge and the eOS.

@ff2u That might be an option as, yes, I do use a VPN and the Advances Privacy features are all on. I didn’t know Apps may be geo restricted. I will try for the download to change it.

2 Likes

Maybe have a look at this topic (although referring to aurora):

2 Likes

For me in the U.S. the app doesn’t seem available here. So I guess it is geo-restricted.

Checked with App Lounge, Aurora Store, and Play Store.

4 Likes

Hi all !

Again, thanks for your support ! I changed the VPN to a fake other country, France, and I achieved to download the apps !

I learned something and it is a good point to take with for future possible trouble to find an app.

4 Likes

hi;
could i add that i’d like to be able to reinstall app lounge when it fails to load /open my issue now .
turned on mobil data even though i have no service anymore etc and use a wifi based app
anyhow . thank you

Hi @truklimb,

I had the same issue with two apps: common point between them? I installed them with apk… Son if you installed them from aurora, try to update them from aurora if it’s possible…

As a system app uninstall/reinstall is not possible, but Clear app data is expected to have the same result.

Settings > Apps and notifications > Show all … apps > App Lounge > Storage & cache > Clear storage

If the document about what information Google can collect from the App Lounge has now been written, could it be linked to here, please, so that users can find it easily? Thanks!

This is the link to the article around calls to Google servers from /e/OS during the setup process

4 Likes

Yes, I would definitely want to know this. I just opened the new App Lounge for the first time, to try to download a new app, and the first thing I see is a rather terrifying (rather than reassuring) long T&Cs page, which, amongst its somewhat rambling wordiness, says that it allows the user “to download applications from the Google Play Store” and “In both cases, the User will have a direct relationship with the Google Play Store”.

I thought that the whole purpose of eOS was to remove any interactions with Google and Google snooping from the eOS version of Android, so I’d rather not have any interaction with the Google Play Store at all (and so the previous app store was perhaps more useful in that way).

But if it is felt necessary to download from the Google Play Store, in order to have access to a broader range of apps(?), I would like to be reassured that if I go ahead and use the App Lounge in ‘anonymous mode’, that Google won’t know who I am (eg, name, email address, eOS account ID) or my phone number or device ID, get its tentacles into contacts, calendar, etc, etc.

It was only through also reading the first post in this thread that I could finally start to understand what the App Lounge T&Cs were actually trying to tell me (perhaps some rewriting/clarification is needed?); prior to that, it was only too easy to see the repeated references to Google Play and ask oneself, “Just what is going on here, if I press ‘Accept’?”.

1 Like

hi;
this was done multi times md5 checked out etc before install still fails opens window then crashes not even able to see login /not login option etc.
on moto xplay w sd card 16gig i think

If you have a System app which crashes and is non functional, I think you should report an issue – Report an issue.

Perhaps review the open App Lounge issues first Issues Gitlab ~App Lounge; and / or do you experience this App Lounge : Crash observed "FATAL EXCEPTION: DefaultDispatcher-worker-2" (#5930) · Issues · e / Backlog · GitLab ?

Is anyone else currently experiencing the same bug that occurred in v1.1 where apps can’t be downloaded and installed by App Lounge?