Apps that use Google Maps

Hello everybody,

I use an bikesharing app (MVGO, Germany), that just changed its maps from mapbox to google maps. Since that update, the app doesnt work anymore for me (at all, I can use the app but not see the map, so its useless).
For me, this app is really important and a daily driver. Does anyone has any idea how I could get it work on /e/OS?

Greetings from Germany!

1 Like

Does this mean they call the Google Maps API now instead (which microG does support to a certain extent), or does this mean they now require to have Google Maps installed as an App additionally? If so, did you install Google Maps?

Apart from some pilot project ending and a merging of Apps I did’t find much about it immediately.

Perhaps you might want to think about whether /e/OS is the right choice in this situation. Apps relying on Google Apps or services might work at some point in time on /e/OS with the help of microG, but this is not guaranteed, Google can break compatibility with changes on their side at any time for any given length of time, while microG would have to implement the changes, if at all possible.

Hey AnotherElk,

first of all, thanks for your answer.
To be honest, I’m not that much into the programming background of apps, at all I’d describe myself as an ‘normal noob’ user.
I registered the changing maps provider by the text in the left corner, which now says Google Maps, I will attach a screenshot.

Yeah, of course you’re completely right with your thought about the OS. But until now (more than a year now) everything worked out for me, because I’m flexible with 99% of my Apps. This one unfortunately belongs to the 1%, but before breaking with eOS (which I love!) I want to try everything, to get the app running.

Thanks so far!

The app sounds quite open about support. As you say that they made a change I would ask them too.

SUPPORT

• FAQ, contact details and feedback for all services offered in the app
    We look forward to hearing from you. Should you have questions, encounter any issues or like to offer suggestions, please email us at feedback.mvgo@mvg.de or support.mvgo@mvg.de.
1 Like

I see.
I just tried, it doesn’t help to install the Google Maps App (which itself seems to work, kind of). So this is something internal in the MVGO App.

Seconded. It can’t hurt to ask them. Usually such changes are not intended to deliberately lock a group of users out, and at least they have to be made aware that Android users without Google services on their phones exist and are not happy getting locked out :wink: .

Thanks, I’ll send them a request and keep you on track!

That’s an app from the city of Munich transportation authority right? You should definitely search the dialogue with them.
In the meanwhile you could try to use the web version should be mvg-move.de) you can easily install even a home screen icon (with the built-in /e/browser or with Firefox: “Zum Startbildschirm hinzufügen”).

2 Likes

Little update, just for your information, they unfortunately didn’t answer me (yet?).
Tried to use it with an OS with the latest version of microG and it didn’t work out either. Does anyone has an idea about the technical background?

Greetings!

…and thanks for that, but unfortunately you cant book anything (bikesharing, carsharing,…) without an working app

Hey,

I have quite the same question… I wrote the guys of MVGo and got the answer:

"vielen Dank für den Hinweis! Wir sind immer sehr an den Meinungen der Nutzerinnen und Nutzer interessiert.

Aktuell gibt es keine Pläne, aber wir nehmen Ihre Anregung gerne auf."

Sounds not got :wink:

But the “Call-a-bike”-App from DB works on /e/ … but I would still prefer the MVGo …

2 Likes

After asking another question today I received a very friendly and hope giving answer:

"die Pilot-App kam von unserem Softwaredienstleister Trafi. Sie war an einen Lizenzvertrag geknüpft, der inzwischen ausgelaufen ist. Daher der Wechsel. Die jetzige App wurde komplett im eigenen Haus gebaut.

Falls Datenschutz ein Hintergrund Ihrer Frage ist, kann ich zurückmelden, dass im Vergleich viel weniger cloud-basierte Dienste von US-Unternehmen integriert sind. Hier datensparsamer zu werden, ist also tatsächlich ein Ziel, das wir aktiv verfolgen.

Die Anregung, Google Maps zu entfernen, werden wir im Rahmen der Weiterentwicklung nochmal diskutieren. Es scheint ja Bedarf zu geben…"

Let’s wait and see…

2 Likes

Nice, thanks for your answer and I’m glad I’m not alone! Maybe my Mail just got lost.

The main MVG App didn’t work for some time, too, but since the last update, its running again - so I still got hope for improvements :wink:

Greetings!