Argh, I am not a techie. How do I find help for installing?

I can’t get past step two. " Make sure your computer has working adb and fastboot . Setup instructions can be found here." The “setup instructions” don’t make sense to me…
I am convinced I’m going to press the wrong button and make my computer explode in a puff of smoke…!

I searched the community forums for meetups in my area (Phoenix, AZ, metro area) and there aren’t any, as far as I can tell. How do I get help installing this?

1 Like

You can check for the instructions give for your device in this section.
You can find instructions on installing adb here.
Agree

:slight_smile: that is quite true. It can be a bit overwhelming the first time around but with these instructions you should be able to setup adb and fastboot

If you go step by step as it is written in the instructions you won’t get any problems. Start and some time later you will be happy with your e-OS-device

“I don’t understand these instructions.”
“Just follow the instructions.”
Excellent advice. :upside_down_face:

Looks like /e/ is only for developers, not regular people.

Hi @abigail82 you can log in to the telegram chat site https://web.telegram.org/#/im?p=s1159413728_5467279341815616346 where you can find advanced users who can guide you on how to install /e/ on your phone. Just a note the instructions will be same as what are available on our wiki or the links given above. At present we do not have any support center’s in any part of the world in case that is what you are looking for.

sorry man, but if you don’t understand the instructions I think it would be better to go to a friend which will do to flashing for you.

It’s really easy if you do what there is written. step by step. Everyone could do it. But if your fear to make something wrong, go to a friend of yours.

There are a lot noobs which never before have flashed a custom rom. But with the instructions they where able to do t first time.

I have teached alot of people in IT things with ‘learning by doing’.

Maybe, I think one day, someone might try to do a video or graphical tutorial, sometime it’s more easy to understand for newbies. I don’t have searched on youtube (orelse), it might already have some…
(and no, I’m not a video guy experienced enough to do it :wink: )

no video tutorial available, because reading is much better :wink:

1 Like

jUsT rEaD iT!1!!!

Dude, for the third time, I HAVE READ IT. And I don’t understand it. It’s not me. It’s bad instructions. There is lingo that doesn’t make sense. The advice skips steps, assuming that people know them, because they assume a developer audience.

How’s this, for example, as one of the bad instructions: “Download the zip and extract it somewhere - for example, ~/adb-fastboot”

Extract it… “somewhere…”?

Very precise, very helpful… not.

I tried all kinds of things to follow this step, with no success. I typed the ~/adb-fastboot into the search bar, and into the terminal, and got no results. I opened the .zip package, and saw all the files, but nothing is happening with the Samsung device. The things that the instructions say are supposed to happen… are not happening. So, what now?

“Add the following to ~/.bash_profile”… Where is that, exactly? Again, I searched all kinds of places for this term, and didn’t find anything.

I know the f*** how to read. However, I don’t have a background in development or coding. Hence the (very unhelpful) post.

1 Like

I’m sorry for you. But for flashing a rom on a phone a little commandline knowledge is needed.

If the instructions on e wikki are so bad, search the wrb for a better. Flashing a custom rom is ALLWAYS the same.

Hi @abigail82, as @Manoj suggested: There is a Telegram Group “/e/ community dedicated support” with a lot of tech-guys around. They might assist you in your process flashing /e/.
Flashing is not complicated once you have done it a few times, but until then it is indeed a bit challenging.
Telegram: https://telegram.org/
The group: https://web.telegram.org/#/im?p=s1159413728_5467279341815616346

What phone are you using?

could be that this is more readable for you ?? https://www.lineageosrom.com/2017/07/how-to-flash-custom-rom-via-odin.html

But for this and further questions: pls write which phone you are using

The biggest challenge that I faced was working around this bug. Still open in Gitlab at this time.

what does i have to do with he topic of this post ?? I think it should be located on the related post.

Isn’t it part of the getting-started-with-/e/ process?

no, he have problems flashing a custom rom. You are talking of an issue which is discussed in several other post https://community.e.foundation/search?q=contact%20import

1 Like

Guys,
(I’m 99% sure that you are all guys…)

/e/ will fail unless you can make yourselves reasonably accessible to the general public. That includes (among other things) instructions that are thorough, accessible, easy to read, and that actually work. If someone who is educated and reasonably intelligent is telling you that your instructions don’t make sense, maybe… I don’t know, here’s a wild thought… listen? Instead of dismissing them and continually insisting that they DO make sense? Or telling them to do a web search to find something better? That really makes you seem like a—holes, sorry.

I write instructions for a living. I can tell you, these are bad instructions.

I spent over 6 hours working on this (not exaggerating), and made 0 progress. That is 5 hours and 50 minutes longer than the vast majority of people would be willing to spend on something like this.
I have a fairly high tolerance for frustration. In general, when I want something, I persist until I get what I want. I tried, very hard, to make this work, because I want to achieve the goals of /e/, and I couldn’t do it.

Just to update you, in case anyone cares (which I doubt)… I finally found someone at my work who regularly flashes phones and knows what he’s doing. He tried, and then told me my phone cannot be flashed. Even though I bought a Samsung S7, which was listed on the site as compatible with /e/, it turns out there are US models of the S7 and European models of the S7. The European models can be flashed, the US models cannot. That was a nasty surprise. That would have been nice to know before I bought the phone, eh?

All that work, money, effort, for nothing. Thanks /e/.

Again… your project will fail unless you figure out how to reach regular people who don’t have programming or engineering (etc.) backgrounds. :woman_shrugging:
Bye.

1 Like

Sure, instructions can be better. I even feel your frustration, a lot of jargon is used. I never flashed a phone before when i discovered /e/. /e/ sell’s pre-installed phones now here.

No doubt, the instructions could be better.

Which I don’t understand: The S7 models supported by /e/ OS are clearly labeled.
Samsung Galaxy S7 (herolte) models are:
SM-G930F
SM-G930FD
SM-G930S
SM-G930K
SM-G930L
SM-G930W8

Samsung Galaxy S7 (USA) models are:
G930A (AT&T, Cricket)
G930P (Sprint, Boost, Virgin Mobile)
G930V (Verizon)
G930T (T-Mobile, Metro PCS)
G930R (US Cellular)
G930U (Unlock model)

The differences in model names are small, but not to be overlooked. On this point /e/ is not to be blamed!

1 Like

Hello @abigail82, I have to agree the instructions for flashing /e/ leave a LOT to be desired, and this is from someone who has been tinkering with tech stuff for longer than I care to admit. I found using both /e/ and LineageOS instructions in parallel helped, though it does not fix the issue with instructions which are incomprehensible to non-tech users. Ideally /e/ will end up with an automated installer like Ubuntu Touch uses.

As for model numbers it is very unfortunate that this was not made clear. @Manoj could we perhaps do something to highlight that not all versions are supported, a “(not all models)” added to the name in the list of devices?

1 Like