Argh, I am not a techie. How do I find help for installing?

Device code names can be very confusing and when you add to that the different variants specific to regions and countries it makes it all the more difficult.
We are updating the wiki to be more specific.

/e/ may not be to blame, but it is still very much /e/'s problem. The real issue is that unless you know to look for the small variations in the device codes, you will almost never find them when purchasing a device at Amazon/eBay or other online retailers. I know that from a marketing standpoint, it’s not ideal, but the wiki should probably state all the variants of a particular phone that are NOT compatible and make sure users see this up-front. Losing @abigail82 as a user is a big fail, even if it is not due to any technical flaw in the instructions.

Good morning @ecs

Yes, there’s still a lot to do at /e/, I guess we all agree on that.

First, let’s first have a look at LineageOS and the supported devices . The data are clearly less specified than with /e/ wiki . I don’t want to talk about LineageOS-for-microG.

It is a typical feature of users to first look for the cause on the other side when errors occur.

The user should first critically question his actions before blaming others. “The greatest risk is sitting in front of the computer” is a well-known finding from the computer world.

Everyone is responsible for his own actions!

Sorry, I think that is ridiculous, but I guess I am older and came from a US culture of “the customer is always right.” And in any case no customer should ever be told “blame yourself first,” particularly in times when the big tech culture is “let’s treat our customers like beta testers.” I hope Abigail can get a refund on her device or EBay it to someone else with minimal loss, and, if she still desires, gets support to enter the /e/ community.

“The customer is always right”, leads quickly to irritations, because customers are naturally not always right. For me, the sentence is hypocritical and contrasts with my personal integrity.

Customers are people, just like suppliers or salespeople. People are wrong. People see the situation from different perspectives. Due to different experiences, people have a differentiated opinion about what something has to be like. In addition, some people confuse their expectations with actual circumstances, results or solutions.

Especially the opinion “The customer is always right” leads to the fact that customers come again and again to the conviction that they can be wrong, but that does not matter, because they are right nevertheless! I don’t support something like that.

With us in good old germany it is right who gets right. So is our usual jurisdiction.

1 Like

On one side someone is writing about “I have a fairly high tolerance for frustration. In general, when I want something, I persist until I get what I want.”

On the other side ALL that is necessary in this case is to put a phone on an auction site and get a different model and flash it. I’m not saying the points mentioned should be ignored, but if someone chooses to fail, you cannot do anything about that.

1 Like