Arguments for privacy / against mainstream apps

Hi @Andy1¡
I forgot to thank you in the previous comment for mention those songs. I searched for the letters and I was very surprised. I guess that we think we (our generation more less, I mean) are living a huge social change. But, from all the references to analogue situations from the recent past I deduce that what is really changing is technology not the social division between a few powerful owners of resources and the rest of the humankind being exploited by them in different ways.
Thank for the reference to those geological things. I must admit that I had to look them up because I have never heard of them before. Very interesting things, by the way.
About last “no question”. As far as I know, you can choose one of the three following options to get privacy with communications:
1st. Use “common” technology adapted to privacy consideration. In this way the available “linux phones” could be an option. But they are not having great success by now. As common technology I really think that /e/ is the best option now.
2nd. Secure as much as possible your communications. Add security. VPN, firewalls, and so. From just adding a firewall to paranoid mode.
3rd. Use “different” networks to communicate. I mean those tools to use the TOR network, or even other networks different from the common Internet.
4rd. Some time ago I read a piece of news in which it was said that police had dismantled a criminal gang. The journalist pointed out the difficulty police had to find the leader of the gang because he used a special kind of phone with other selected members of the gang. He never used other type of phone. It was a phone not traceable, I think I remember that without a common SIM card we are used to. Not the phone we buy in a tech store. But those phones can be bought in some special stores. I have no idea of prices or more details. But this should be the most privacy respectful phone. However, I am not sure but I suppose you need the other people you are going to call having another equal type of phone, so…

/e/ phone, and all the security you can add. No doubt¡ :grinning:

P.S. A Trisquel (or similar) phone would be awesome¡ :+1:

1 Like

Interesting discussion!

2 Likes

Again, everyone, thank you so much for the helpful discussions. I will update you all when I compile all these arguments in a good site!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.