Attempting to upgrade Terracube 2e from version 1.0 to 1.1 (2020 model)

beer

My effort to do this update failed with the recovery screen up. The only thing that worked on the recovery screen was reboot to the recovery screen.
After much floundering around over several days I finally succeeded with a fresh install of /e/.
I discovered the install instructions for the stock ROM: at [[Teracube 2e] Instructions to Install Factory Software and to Reset - #5 by Sharad - Guides - Teracube Community] This worked on the first try and every try.

I was then able to use the instructions for the /e/ install: [Install /e/OS on a Teracube Teracube 2e (2020) - “2e”]

I did this on a Thinkpad T580 with a fresh install of Kubuntu 22.04 and fresh download of the platform-tools. This was successful on the first attempt.

I hope this helps someone else that may be floundering as I was.

I think I have found what is wrong with the Teracube updates by OTA.
In fact, the updates work with the computer (with ADB) because the image is not the same.

For example, the wiki tutorial (Steps to Update Teracube 2e using ADB) shows a link to download a version 1.5 file. This one is called ‘e-1.5-q-20221028230220-stable-2e.zip’.

By using the FTP website in order to find the same file, we realize that it is not present on the HTML page. Instead, another file with the same name and prefixed with ‘IMG_’ is available.

By checking more precisely, the two files are not the same size.
Moreover, the file with the prefix ‘IMG_’ does not install with the ADB sideload.
Finally, the size of this file corresponds to the size of the file of the OTA update.

Maybe someone from the team (@alexis) can verify this assumption.
For reference, the link to download the image that worked
https://ota.ecloud.global/builds/full/stable/2e/e-1.5-q-20221028230220-stable-2e.zip

1 Like

Hello folks,
I have T2e first batch (2020) purchased from the Teracube company (not from the e-foundation) and manually installed /e/ myself about a year ago. Got up to the 1.0 update (OTA) in May '22 and stayed there due to the update issue on this device. Some of the OTA updates after 1.0 did show up from time-to-time during the fall '22, but then quickly disappeared in a day or two. So I am still on 1.0 (did not do the manual procedure described here yet).
However, an OTA update 1.7 (dated January 10) showed up like 5 days ago and has not gone away since.
Can somebody in the know from /e/ confirm/deny that this update can be applied to the first batch T2e with 1.0 /e/os, i.e. the update issue of the T2e first batch has been resolved with 1.7?

UB

p.s.: if the answer is “deny”, the the situation is even worse than before, since the folks at /e/ responsible for updates not only did not do anything about it, but even forgot that this issue exists at all for these devices. I am of course aware of the sideload via adb described here, but I guess I don’t have to mention that it does not qualify as an option for the average user which supposed to be the target audience here.

Hi, found this because I had the same questions. I didn’t realize there was a way to do it yourself, until finding this thread. I’m still stuck on 1.0 and would like to update, but don’t have experience with sideloading and and don’t want to make things worse, by doing something wrong.

I did bought my Teracube with /e/ installed for that reason and finding this thread reminded me that I got an email from them in December saying they would mail you an SD card so you can update it. I filled out the form to have it mailed to me, but it never came and I forgot about it until this latest update notification.
I sent them an email and now am keeping my fingers crossed that they send me the SD card with the update and I can get updates on my phone again.