Best All In One Messenger: Voice Calls, Video Facetime, Send Text & Attachments

I’ve come to realise that normals aren’t going to leave WhatsApp any time soon. No amount of explanation trumps the belief that the surveillance doesn’t matter and that their lives would be so much more difficult without the convenience of it. “Why do I need so many apps? Why don’t you just download WhatsApp? It’s free!” is something they often say when asked to cater to yet another of their contacts preferred networks.

So what is needed is a truly all in one messenger app. Something that they could use to chat with all of their contacts, regardless of whether they used WhatsApp, Telegram, Signal, Matrix, XMPP, etc, etc, etc, would seem to be a proposition which would increase convenience without forcing anybody to leave any particular network.

Signal actually achieves this in a small way by unifying secure Signal messaging and insecure SMS. Matrix has its bridges to several networks and so some will argue that Matrix clients are already the solution to this. But I, who have been developing desktop software professionally for nearly 30 years, found setting up a bridge to a Telegram channel extremely arduous and I required a lot of help. What hope does the average non-technical user have?

What I am proposing is something which has been around for a long time in the desktop world: a multi-protocol client. Such a client would connect to the supported networks directly, rather than being bridged e.g. from Matrix. A user would simply create accounts and enter their credentials for what ever networks they needed to be connected to thus eliminating the current bridging pain. This would allow WhatsApp refuseniks to preserve their privacy by selling the convenience of “all-in-one” rather than the threat of privacy violation. It’s much easier, in my experience, to sell a gain than to sell an insurance against loss.

If such an app were to be developed and widely adopted then it would be up to the privacy preserving networks to encourage their use by a better experience through features, etc. This could see use of the surveillance networks wither and die through lack of interest without ever having to persuade someone that it wasn’t in their interest to stay.

Now, having written all of this, I feel sure somebody is going to say that such an app already exists or that the concept is unworkable for some reason or another. Both may be true. Ladies and gentleman, you have the floor.

3 Likes

Worth noticing that on the desktop we can use a single app to rule them all: Hamsket or Ferdi. Unfortunately, I don’t know the acceptable equivalent for Android/iOS.

Did you even read past the third line? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

For those still curious about rocketchat which is crossplatform iOS, Android, linux etc, i was looking very hard to find the windows version which is not easy to find as it not on their main download page, i found it here. its called rocketchat-setup-2.17.9.exe

As i dont have 2 phones to test messengers i try and get the windows one to test call my /e/phone. Sadly on installing it wants you to sign up with an e-mail which is better that using your real telephone number. I could make a tempoarary e-mail just to test it but in reality I cant be bothered. I`d rather not discolose my e-mail even tho have a yahoo one that already gets lots of junk mail. It could still be a good alternative for some folks to try/test rocketchat tho i cant say for sure how good it is. If you do try it let us all know :face_with_monocle:

@Vaughan
Sounds ambitious, makes sense the only problems is if someone makes this dream multi-protocol client would u trust it to enter your details into it, also if there are various updates for one service, i can imagine some parts breaking, and could be a pain for the developer to maintain. Nice thought tho.

If it was FLOSS, yes.

Plug-in based?

I found the F-droid version of rocket.chat app to access the public rocket.chat server, one cannot disable the app analytics settings. it is permanently enabled. so i stopped using it.

@zypper Thx for testing the rocketchat app, yeh seems they are harvesting some data; that and with your e-mail required for registration.

That is the problem with so called free apps, in their privacy statement they say they dont sell your data, but do say if they get aquired in a merger they will share your info with whom ever buys the company. No doubt looking to get a pay out ike the whatsapp founders whom sold whatsapp to facebook for US$19 billion in 2014. When you think about whatsapp and how much facebook paid for it, it really should make us all nervous, nothing is free, and the metadata they collect in conjunction with those whom still use facebook, collecting data about your friends, associates ; who knows whom how they are connected is really a huge conspiracy in the guise of marketing.

For those whom use Riot IM and find the servers a bit slow, heres a list of public servers you can sign up for. After testing Riot it seems quite good and is crossplatfrom.

1 Like

I really like this idea, build it!

I agree and there are options too, with RiotX (more like regular messaging apps) and Riot regular

Sadly, I have no idea how to develop Android apps. Nor do I have time to learn.

I wonder if the large open messaging protocols ever have meetings with each other to discuss interoperability. Would be a good idea

It would, but still likely limited to open systems. The killer idea in a multi-protocol app is in not requiring the co-operation of WhatsApp et al.

Edit: At least for as long as there are web interfaces/third party apps are allowed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.