Bootloader is locked. OEM unlocking is off. /e/ is installed and won't boot. Am I out of luck?

At least it tells me that your phone hasn’t quite given up the ghost, isn’t physically dead yet.

Maybe you can connect a power bank or charge the battery? On Youtube you can find more or less adventurous instructions, for example with the titles:

How to charge mobile battery without mobile, Old battery repair, Science Projects
+
How To Charge Smartphone Battery WITHOUT CHARGER!
(Note: I intentionally don’t link to Google’s YouTube spy platform).

You don’t say what is trying to boot at this point.

I’ve not seen it on Android, but I have seen other devices fail ‘out_of_power’ on a heavy OS or First boot. Did you try another power source? Or perhaps a multi-meter would show an unacceptable voltage drop?

Oh no far from that. The phone is still in pristine condition hardware-wise. I haven’t stabbed it with my multimeter or the resistor in weird places yet that could create a short. Can the battery charge up in fastboot mode? I hope it does.

It just tries to boot normally and displays the “No OS!” error before turning off by itself. I have confirmed it stays powered after removing the battery and screen by stabbing the 1.8V test point and checking it stays at 1.8V, it doesn’t do that when the screen is connected. I know for a fact screens are power hogs and this one is not essential for my endeavor, hence why this was the first thing I disconnected to stay within the low power budget of a PC USB.

Reconnecting the battery and screen, then plugging the USB or holding the Power button, the device tries to boot and shows the “No OS!” error screen, or goes to fastboot should the VolDown key be pressed. The top LED doesn’t blink though. It’s this top LED blinking that tells me it’s doing something different, one of the boot codes within the boot chain is taking a different “software path”, when the battery is disconnected.

I was trying to get the device to boot to EDL one way or another, without the battery. Should the phone boot to EDL, it cannot be disconnected after booting to be reconnected to a PC’s USB. That’s why I tried to do that exclusively on a PC’s USB.

I will test my oneplus one for charging in fastboot; first guess <50% (it doesn’t happen in Samsung equivalent).

I guess the screen comes on full power by default and can’t be changed. Not answering your whole point, but a battery can more easily handle a power spike to turn the lights on than a power pack which might be a bit self protecting.

I can see that the power pack idea might be a useful way to to EDL. Other manufactures seem to make it accessible by software, but researching your links seems to confirm that Motorola does not want to get involved in this support for customers.

If you can see a serious voltage drop with a meter, caused by the screen lighting, you can hope or aim for best performance in the main task, perhaps.

Just so we are clear, I’m not using an external power pack, I’ve always talked about the internal battery. The phone is torn down and I can attach and detach the various connectors, including the battery’s.

Yes, that’s the conclusion I’m reaching too. Patching “reboot-edl” in fastboot hasn’t worked either. I’m at the point where I want to take the thing to a repair shop to get the EM shield unsoldered so I can investigate the various SMDs around the Flash/RAM chip. A clock pulled to GND should enable EDL mode.

There is a tiny hole in the EM shield of the CPU and Flash/RAM EM shield exposing some SMDs or what looks like a power source for one of the chips. One of those has a small chance to be connected to an “enable pin”. I am not risking shorting anything there though, I have absolutely no idea what they actually connect to.

This is the bit I am missing then! Where does the energy come from? If a PC USB port, I expect this to be quite highly protected against overload.

Working with Rasp-pi I can have a data cable piggy-backed to a second power source, even if only the laptop second USB port; I prefer to use an external power pack as the second source for permanent service.

(Sorry to the extent to which I may have gone off-topic)

1 Like

I tried to power it solely through USB. No battery, no external power pack. I don’t have a cable like the one you mentioned.

No worries about going off-topic on this one, the phone’s servicing is rather uncharted territory that Motorola has apparently made charting a painstaking exercise, so any idea may help!

It’s interesting to note the phone did react to the “reboot-edl” I patched in my Linux’ fastboot. So maaaaaybe Motorola did miss something and I’m doing something wrong when trying to get it to EDL through there.

Blankflashes are available for the phone, so I expect there’s a way to reach EDL mode anyhow that doesn’t require the phone’s flash being absolutely corrupted. It’s just a matter of finding how.

This is not my experience.

My Oneplus One does not take charge in fastboot mode.

Test. Battery charge level reported at 56%; boot into fastboot; fix semi-fast charger; 3 hours later; reboot system battery charge level reported at 54%.

Alright, just ordered a USB cable that allows split power, I’ll probably receive it early next week. Will report what happens when I plug it (PC + Power bank to phone) with the internal battery removed.

1 Like

It’s been more than two months, but I’ve made progress somehow!

I booted into EDL mode (9008)! However blankflashing hasn’t worked yet. I’m getting “invalid command in this state” error after trying once after connecting into EDL mode, and “IO error” after trying again. I’m guessing that’s normal I’m getting the IO error since the EDL “state machine” (if there are any) must be in an invalid state. What I don’t understand is why I’m getting the invalid command error.

Hello, I have a Motorola g100 but I can’t get into edl, any recommendations?

Sorry, this thread is about the Motorola Moto G 5G Plus (model number XT2175-3 specifically), and information that pertains to it is not necessarily pertinent to the Motorola G100 (model number XT2125).

Motorola has been hard at work plugging holes in hardware and software in recent time. They removed the hardware needed to get to EDL mode through Power+Vol(+/-) combination in production models, and the software to get to EDL from adb or fastboot makes the phone reboot but it doesn’t reboot to EDL if the bootloader is locked. Only way for me has been disassembling the phone to get to the PCB, and from there find the EDL test points, which I found but I cannot tell you how. You may piece together how by going to the XDA forums for the Moto G 5G Plus.

Hi, it has been more than a year since the last reply to this. Did you had any progress or tips for someone who is having similar issue?

I had the same problem when I was installing the LineageOS I unlocked the bootloader on the stock rom than in the bootloader program installed the OS initiated it ok… Then when I restarted got the msg of danger o the bootloader unlocked turnê off again and locked The bootloader in the program before I locked it on the New OS só I ended at same place as the OP

I tried everything the qboot loader with the key to acess the emmc chips but its like I locked my car with the Keys inside and I trying to start the engine outside the car…

Its QFIL/firehose, medusa box, 3rd party warranty fix, motherboard swap, or recycle heap.

Id suggest a motherboard swap. If you have the skill to get to the testpoints the rest should be a breeze.

hello @Souzarion, welcome to this forum.

what is your device ?

Its the same xt2075-3 “Motorola Moto G 5g plus”

bootloader can’t be relocked for this device !
[LIST] Devices where bootloader can be relocked
it is probably the cause of your disfonctionnement.

you have to restore stock OS, then redo the install process for /e/…

I can’t reinstall the stock Rom becouse the memory acess is locked