Can you encrypt your user data partition?

With TWRP, If I choose Backup, I see System, Data, Boot checked
Next to Data i see ( excl. storage) (2679 MB). What does it mean ?

It’s a 8 GB MOTO E with a 128 GB SD Card (configured as internal storage)

SOrry for that noobie question…

Hej @yoda67, plaese see also …

I find the explanations easy to understand, don’t you?

1 Like

The instructions said it could take an hour. It finished in less than 5 minutes. :astonished: That is including a 128GB micro SD card. (Motorola Moto G4 - athene) So far so good. Hope this maintains on the next update/upgrade.

*Update: So I did a OTA update of e-0.8-n-2020041449770-dev. When the update rebooted to twrp, the process had A LOT of mount errors. The update does appear to have taken. When I manually rebooted to the twrp recovery, it appears the encryption process has rendered twrp basically useless. Twrp cannot recognize the storage locations (no backups, or restore possible). While in twrp, I attempted a basic wipe of the caches and it failed!?

Summary: I would NOT at this point recommend encrypting this phone (Moto G4 athene). You lose functions of twrp. ONLY encrypt if you are using your factory ROM.

The 64GB version is the same - the partition size needs to be reduced by 4 blocks/16kb. I did a manual adjustment with ADB, but can’t recall the exact values. Regardless, it was 4 blocks fewer than the default setting.

Question: Is twrp and the bootloader unlocked, still required to receive updates to e OS?

IF they are not, Then I should be able to encrypt my phone like a factory install OS.

Could you enter this command in a adb shell: blockdev --getsize64 /dev/block/mmcblk0p56 and post result here? (i assume mmcblk0p56 is the data partition, to find the correct name type mount|grep /data)

Thanks for caring about this topic!
The encryption is not working on my Nexus 5x (LGH791F), version 0.8-o-2020040949060-dev-bullhead
I also have Magisk Manager 7.5.1 and TWRP 3.3.1-0 installed

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.