Can't make a call using Signal or WhatsApp since migration to v1.0

Hi,

I have a FP3 and did the migration to v1.0 yesterday.

Since then, I can’t make a call (same problem for voice call and/or video call) using Signal and/or WhatsApp. The apps works, I can send and receive message, I can send and receive voice messages, but as soon as I try to call someone or answer a call, then the apps bug and I have to restart my smartphone. Sometimes the phone just restart by itself, and take a lot of time (sometime more than 10 minutes) to reboot.

I tried to desactivate the Advanced Privacy tool. I tried to disable the blocage of trackers for WhatsApp and Signal in the Advanced Privacy options. Always the same problem, I just can’t make a call.

Any idea please ?

Thanks.

3 Likes

I have an FP3 on 1.0-q-dev and I have no such problems (only tested on Signal, don’t have WhatsApp). Even with tracker blocking (but without IP hiding).

Got some news today that might be interesting.

I posted another issue yesterday about my camera not working anymore (here : Camera not working anymore on FP3 since migration to v1.0 - #5 by SebastienL) and I just realized that my camera is not working AFTER a failed attempt to make a call with Signal / WhatsApp.

It’s like this failed attempt to make a call is making the camera module unavailable, so I guess we can also imagine the camera module might be the source of the bug with the call.

Experiencing the same issue on FP3+ after updating to v1.
Can send and receive messages on Signal with no issue, but incoming and outgoing calls will crash the phone and this requires the battery to be removed in order to reboot. Very frustrating!

1 Like

Same experience with FP3 + and Signal. I also desactivated the Advanced Privacy tool. I update Signal yesterday, but no change…

1 Like

Same here with my FP3, happening while using WhatsApp or Skype

1 Like

#Signal systematically closes since my upgrade to V1. I had to reselect my favourite contacts.

1 Like

I am on a reconditioned Samsung S7 which I ordered directly on e-foundation with /e/ preinstalled on it

Until I deactivated the VPN, I couldn’t access the internet at all, but the Signal crash problem still isn’t solved after deactivating the VPN

I am on a FP3+ and have a similar issue:

• When I call or get called (with or without video) using Signal or WhatsApp, the app locks up the phone, immediately or a bit into the call, and I have to hard reboot the phone.
  • I disabled all features of the advanced privacy tool as it caused significant lag when using the phone.

I truly hope this issue gets resolved asap.

Wkr

1 Like

I don’t know if it can help you, to me Signal and Whatsapp were giving problems on video calls. I solved it by installing “opencamera” from f-droid (app of which \ e \ camera is fork). I have since stopped having problems with apps using the cameras on my FP3 +.
I hope it works for you too.

Same here. I’m also on a FP3 (using Lawnchair launcher, in my case), and also finding that /e/ OS v1.0 has massively downgraded the functionality of my phone. To pick a few examples:

• As above, the phone resets anytime anyone calls me or I try to call anyone via an app (whether by Telegram, Signal or WhatsApp), though note that after a reset there is a short period during which I can start calls, which allows me to return them, if a few minutes late
  • The camera also only works for a short period after a reset, then won’t take pictures
  • The phone’s caller ID no longer works, so all telephone callers come up as “Unknown”
  • The phone is generally slow and unresponsive

It seems there’s no easy rollback option, so :crossed_fingers: that most of the issues can be resolved in the next update soon

Clearing the phone app data as suggested in this post, seems to alleviate the issue a bit.
But it just reduces the number of reboots/lockups, it does not appear to fix the issue/instability.