Cleanapk.org security

the FAQ says “Apps are checked either using a PGP signature check, or a checksum.” – who does that?

I should have said that I have of course read info.cleanapk.org. But have found zero other sites talking about it.

Aurora store gets apks directly from google play store, is that correct? I guess I can consider that more secure but less private?

“Who are they?” and “Who owns them?” are both good questions :slight_smile: All I can find out is

1. They are ‘not affiliated in any manner with Google or Google Play’ - this what they say on their only visible web page, so it must be true :wink:
  2. The domain registrant is based in the Ile-de-France region of France (according to the only unredacted information at https://whois.gandi.net/en/results?search=cleanapk.org
    [edit]
  3. Their servers are based in Germany, according to https://cleanapk.org.ipaddress.com/

So they may be secure, and they may ‘support Privacy & Freedom’, but they don’t seem interested in openness or transparency. So they don’t get my business :slight_smile:

1 Like

Correct. It’s an Open Source client for the Google Play Store.

Aurora Store offers you to get the Apps with its own Google account, so you can stay anonymous in that regard.
Using your own Google account is optional (though it may be needed to get paid Apps or Apps restricted in availability to your region).

It is now possible again to get Anonymous access to region-restricted apps: see this post for details (though, in my experience I didn’t need to use a VPN, just enable the Insecure anonymous session setting)

2 Likes

:point_up_2: Is this not the same process used by
Divest/Hypatia? :point_down:

That would be cool if it is the case as I installed hypatia after reading about it on the divestos thread

@rainwalker Sorry, maybe my question wasn’t clear. If I am not mistaken you are being critical of how the /e/ app store processes .apks, correct? (" ‘Apps are checked either using a PGP signature check, or a checksum.’ – who does that?") My question is, isn’t a similar/same process used by Divest/Hapatia looking for malicious apps? Please see my screenshot posted above, “Checked all SHA/MD5…”.

Ah, lol, no my question was genuine - as in, who is checking the app signatures, the /e/ team or the cleanapk team. I’d feel better if the /e/ team were doing it.

On a separate note, your screen shot shows hypatia successfully checked md5 hashes, but mine always fails to find the md5 database. Do I need to also selected large database in settings?

1 Like

39 posts and we arrived at no answer! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use the default databases and have not adjusted. :+1:

I currently use F-Droid (with a few added repositories) and Aurora (for a couple apps Sandboxed using Shelter) only. But yes agreed, it would be nice if team /e/ was verifying themselves, that seems to be a large task.

My bad on misinterpreting your original post, sorry. I now see my error. :man_facepalming:

To further explain App Store performs some sanity checks here based on information received from cleanapk. It verifies shasum for google apps and pgp signature for fdroid apps. Apps store cannot directly verify signature of google apps because there is no reliable service which can provide this info so it relies on cleanapk. We are trying to improve this process though.
Also as mentioned previously if there is a better option of an application store which caters to all users - those who want FOSS only and those who want apps they used on stock ROM’s then we will be more than glad to use it. Off course it would still require a lot of customization of code to adapt it to work seamlessly on /e/OS.

1 Like

Perhaps /e/ could host their own application store along the same lines as Cleanapk. At least we know who owns and runs /e/. Or, as a major user of cleanapk’s API’s, /e/ could ask Cleanapk to be more open and transparent about who they are.

I’m relatively happy that the apks from Cleanapk, that /e/ serves up via Apps, are safe and haven’t been tampered with (I’ve not heard of any problems with them), but I really don’t like doing business with organisations that try to hide their ownership and/or location. It makes me wonder what else they have to hide.

/e/ cant do that because it is illegal, you can’t redistribute as stated in Gooles tos So i think they are lucky they have found cleanapk :wink:

If it’s illegal for /e/ to do it then surely it’s illegal for cleanapk too? So /e/ won’t break the (unspecified) law, but they’re happy to use an anonymous company that will break the (unspecified) law. Not a lot if difference that I can see.

I think there will be a big difference in court if you are the owner or the client.

I think
Gogol and cleanapk relation may depends on U.S. reglementation,
but
Cleanapk and /e/ relation may depends on E.U. reglementation.

But we don’t know who the owner of cleanapk.org is. It might be /e/ as a corporation, it might be someone connected with /e/ in a personal capacity, it might be Google, it might be the Tooth Fairy :slight_smile:

In any case, I still don’t know what is illegal about what cleanapk are doing. You quoted Google Play’s Terms of Service, but if we believe their solitary web page, cleanapk aren’t getting the apks from Google, so Google’s ToS are irrelevant.

What laws are cleanapk actually breaking? If they aren’t breaking any, then there’s no reason why /e/ shouldn’t openly follow their model, or buy them, or make them an offer they can’t refuse :wink: . If cleanapk are breaking some laws, then I would have thought that, by using the cleanapk API’s (which they definitely do - you can see it in the source code) /e/ are also in a dodgy position legally.

I have my own theories about who owns and/or controls cleanapk.org, but I think that /e/ should be open and transparent about it (assuming /e/ know: if they really don’t know, then they really shouldn’t be using cleanapk.org). Until they are open about it, then it will continue to be a distraction from the great things that /e/ is doing, and may put potential users off using /e/ at all.

Anyway, I really should get back to testing v0.18 ROMs :slight_smile:

1 Like

See my comment above