Contacts not working with Telephone, Message, Signal

Hi,

I hope somebody can help me. My contacts don’t show up in “Telephone”, “Message” & “Signal”, they do not get implemented in these apps. When I open “Contacts” and select a singel contact, only “Telegram” is shown as possibility to make contact. Incoming calls and messages are displayed with number, not contact name. When I open “Telephone”, favourites are not displayed. Contacts can be displayed in “Telephone” via the upper right tab, but they are not phonable, the only entry for making contact is “Telegram”, see above. This means I have to look up the number if I want to make a call or send a message and memorize it or write it down. This is really annoying. All needed permissions were granted. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sebastian

My specs:
Fairphone 3, rooted
/e/OS 0.10-2020080666687
Magisk
AFWall+
AdAway
Shelter (described problem is in the “Private Profile”, “Work Profile” not tested)

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Hi!

What does happen when you tap the phone number of a contact?

In my phone, favorite tab displays contacts called often and not my favorites (which is a problem to me…)

Also when directly tapped in “Telephone”, numbers from “Contacts” do not get recognized.

Where do you have your contacts saved?
On the device itself? On a Nextcloud? On /e/cloud? On Google Contacts?

Contacts are stored on the device and were imported from sim card.

Hi,

I do not know if it can help, but my issue with the contacts not diplaying was Privacy Guard … see the link :

Hi Sonia,
have you tried checking the contact app settings?
There you can filter which contacts to see, specifically you can choose which source to view them from

Hi,

Yes, the setting was always “Contacts to display > All contacts”.

Actually, without touching anything else, but only turning off Privacy Guard, everything started working fine. Now the question is: how valuable is Privacy Guard?

For me Privacy Guard is a great tool to further filter the permissions that apps use;

but by default, system apps are not under the control of Privacy Guard.

Can you check if this is the case by enabling the “show built-in apps” option and see if any system components are checked?

ok, let me check it.
Are you afraid I had enabled some built in apps preventing contacts from being displayed in recent calls / contats?

Yes, maybe…it could happen :relaxed:

I wasn’t online for a while but want to share a SOLUTION/WORKAROUND I found for the initially described problem: I exported the contacts from “Contacts” to a .vcf-file and imported them from that file and the sim card again. After that, they showed up in “Telephone”. After that procedure for some contacts there were two or three entries, so I had to do some merging, but it did the job.

I understand.
What puzzles me is the fact that the behaviour was not consistent, happening only half of the times (just a guess), therefore it seemed strange to me that it could have been linked to some “wrong” settings…

Interesting…
Just for information, in my case, all the contact were imported from a vcf file