Did Chrome install an add-on on the /e/ browser

I have been using Teracube and the /e/ browser for a few days. Just now a new tab menu item appeared that I didn’t notice before. Its the icon for Incognito (looks similar to the one that Firefox has but I don’t have Firefox downloaded.) When I select the Incognito option there’s a notice that says in part “Chrome will not collect cookies, entry form info, etc” as if its a Chrome app. I can’t get rid of it. I haven’t used Chrome or downloaded any google products. Question - is this part of the /e/ browser or did google just install on my phone?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

The /e/ browser is based on Bromite, which is based on the Open Source base for Chrome (Chromium).

https://doc.e.foundation/what-s-e#e-default-applications

Web-browser: an ungoogled fork of Chromium, built from Bromite patch-sets, with specific /e/ settings”

I guess since Chromium is Google’s groundwork and base for Chrome, some “Chrome” text strings might be in it.

1 Like

It would be nice to think so if true but then many if not all /e/ users would be seeing the same thing. More likely ggl is getting more brazen in its misanthropy. “Don’t be evil” used to be its motto - now they’ve shortened it to just “evil”. I am collecting a lot of data though

Certainly not all.
I’m using Firefox-based browsers across my devices.

We are talking about Open Source here. People can have a look into the code to see what it does.
If you want to make sure a developer takes a look at it, please open an issue in the /e/ GitLab … https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues.

1 Like

An application like Blokada or TrackerControl can reveal what’s happening with hidden background connections. Install one of those, set it up, start browsing or using any app, then take a look.

Note that with Blokada you may have to switch from Private DNS to Network DNS (temporarily, if you wish).

I don’t use Chromium-based browsers, so I can’t check it myself.

1 Like