DivestOS: It's raining new LineageOS privacy ROM!

Hosts file blocking is interesting. “included that blocks over 200,000 advertising and tracking servers. In addition LineageOS’s built in analytics service, CMStats, is also removed.”

Does /e/ OS remove CM stats or block trackers like so?

https://divestos.org/

It’s always hard to tell what is a serious project and what is a honey pot. Just like it was the case with the “Crypto AG”.

2 Likes

Forget it. It’s calling goolag as hell

6 Likes

On a Samsung Galaxy S5 (klte) installed: divested-16.0-20200510-dos-klte and divested-16.0-20200510-dos-klte-recovery. Both ROMs are not started.

Both ROMs are marked as Untested. There is a disclaimer for this:

Disclaimer
Rarely will these builds be fully tested as we don’t have every device we build for, due to that these are provided without warranty and can damage your device. We are not liable for any damage done by using these, and you yourself will be at fault.

No, thanks. I will stay with Havoc-OS-v3.6-20200614-klte-Official (June 2020 security patches) and e-0.9-p-2020051454091-dev-klte as well as TeamWin - TWRP Recovery. A good idea with an embarrassing start.

1 Like

Explained here: https://grapheneos.org/faq#default-connections

3 Likes

Everyone disclaimers, et too:

Very important: please read the following carefully before proceeding!

Installing a new operating system on a mobile device can potentially:

1. lead to all data destruction on the device
  2. make it an unrecoverable brick.

So please only flash your device if you know what you are doing and are OK with taking the associated risk .

The /e/ project and its project members deny any and all responsibility about the consequences of using /e/ software and/or /e/ services.

Warning : Downgrading Smartphones already on Android Q or LineageOS 17.x to Pie or from Pie OS to Oreo or Nougat can cause instability or at worst brick some devices.

https://doc.e.foundation/devices/klte/install

Hello @hotpotato, did you only register here in the forum to quote disclaimer texts known to me?

CustomROMs which aren’t tested by their builder due to lack of own device are generally unsympathetic to me. But since my curiosity is greater than my skepticism, I experience many a pleasant surprise.

I know the S5 “klte” like the back of my hand and love it for its robustness. If an image doesn’t work on this device, it has a strong meaning for me.

With the LG G3 (Int.) “d855” and the dev “Panta” ROM divested-17.1-20200607-dos-d855 a further surprise occurred.

Without advance information my TWRP-Recovery was replaced by the Divested-Recovery when flashing the ROM. Even the original LineageOS doesn’t appeal to me because of its old-fashioned user interface. It does what it should, but not much more. I don’t want to miss TWRP Recovery and its functionality.

The fact that after the first boot the system is automatically encrypted may be pleasing for fans of encryption, but it isn’t for me. I would at least like to be asked.and decide for myself.

dos5 dos3

dos2 dos1

Now I’ve installed this ROM e-0.9-p-20200428-UNOFFICIAL-d855 from @Panta again and the chapter DivestOS is closed.Now the only hope that “our /e/ Panta” hasn’t moved to DivestOS.

4 Likes

I don’t need an explanation. A privacy oriented rom, as this rom is declared, such goolag calls must be stopped, removed from rom. That’s what e.foundation has done.

2 Likes

Can someone please answer my one simple question before all these side topics?

Does /e/ OS remove CM stats or block trackers like so with hosts file?

And then avoid the embarassing questions to help your advertisement.
What a weird way of doing things.

It doesnt inspire any more trust than the rest of it.
No thanks.

Please give me a link where I can read information from divestos org on exactly this point. Did I perhaps only overlook this topic? Help me! Then we will talk further …

See link in first post. Read “Increased Privacy” summary.

/e/OS does not have a hosts file add- blocker. I build my own/e/ version which does have this. I like it.

cool, what about a small HowTo ? Would be happy to try it on my builts

Yeah, it’s an interesting feature. Where in the ROM can I find the possibility to look into the list and edit it if necessary?

And cmstats program, does e remove it?

Where in the ROM

/etc/hosts as every Linux?

What is the “cm stats”, somewhat oldschool from cyanogen? The “LineageOS Stats” entry in settings is not there, if you mean that.

Install eOS and check it. You will ser, all is gone and no goolag connections like on your OS

1 Like

I’ve started a last installation attempt with Galasy S5 “klte” and the ROM divested-16.0-20200510-dos-klte

Starting point: Completely new firmware Android 6.0.1 plus TeamWin - TWRP 3.3.1-0 for Samsung Galaxy S5 Qualcomm.

Result: Not the animated colored DoS logo is displayed, but only that of Samsung - in an endless loop. The DoS-ROM doesn’t start.

Pleasing: This time, my TWRP Rcovery wasn’t replaced by the Divestos Recovery, as it was when I installed it on the LG G3 d855.

s51 s52 s53

So the malfunction of the ROM divested-16.0-20200510-dos-klte is verified. Divestos would do well to change this as soon as possible to prevent a far-reaching damage to your image.

Ok, done

1 Like