/e/ on Samsung Galaxy S7 with android 8 Oreo

Great.
Thanks for the answer !
Nougat starts to be a little outdated now, so Oreo will be great, even if pie should be awesome… But the S7 device is an “old” device now… to bad.
I would have been happy to help testing the Oreo ROM but the lockdown give not enough time…

Like you I’m just a /e/ user without access to internal /e/ information. The road map has been talking about migrating to 9-Pie for all devices currently supported by /e/ for months. When 9-Pie editions will be released, even @rhunault may not be able to tell you.

Hi

I can confirm there’s no problem flash from latest oreo stock to /e/ nougat.

Yesterday, /e/ 0.9 was out for S7. No Oreo but what’s new (before flash it…) ?

:white_check_mark: Smartphon/e/ flashing service in the area of the Munich (MVV) upon consultation
:white_check_mark: Smartphon/e/ flashing service by DHL HERMES mail order (Bavaria, Germany, European Union (EU)
:white_check_mark: Smartphon/e/ flashing service by DHL mail order (European non-EU state;)
:white_check_mark: Smartphon/e/ flashing service by DHL International other target regions on request.
:pushpin:: First contact please by PM emessage Primary supported devices: Samsung (all) + LG G3 / G5

1 Like

That sounds good. So that means that the Samsung S7 will run with Android 9, right? I am interested to order the S7 in the /e/-foundation store. When are you going to deliver the S7 with Android 9?? Currenty, you deliver it with Android 7 right?

Check this list while deciding which phone to purchase if planning to stick with /e/

Ok, thank’s for the link. Generally, that’s a good overview. I cannot find the Samsung Galaxy S7 though…So my question is still open: which android version is currently installed on the S7 you deliver?

I don’t think the “overview” was successful and rather irritating, compared to the weeks of “…working on coming up with a plan …” by the /e/ team.

The wording “We will be updating the device lists in case any device has been missed out in each category.” indicates in advance that not all devices are listed.

And so it is. Not only is the Samsung Galaxy S7 is not mentioned, but also the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy S6 and Galaxy 6 Edge - neither in the list “Devices new and existing being upgraded to Pie or Q - once we have the /e/ Q code ready” nor in the list “Devices with end of official /e/ support”.

The latest “herolte” /e / OS (stable) is version e-0.9-n (Android 7.1.2) with build date 15.05.2020 and Android security patch level April, 5th of 2020.

A system update check that has just been performed results in the following message:

The update check failed. Please check your internet connection an try agin later.

Oh well, my internet connection is okay, but the test to download /e/ OS e-0.9-n (dev) using a notebook also failed with the following message:

The website is not available

The website at https://images.ecloud.global/dev/herolte/ may be temporarily unavailable or permanently moved to a new web address.

By the way: The (stable) version is used for the purchase version of the e.foundation devices, the (dev) version is the general version. Latest “herolte” dev version is e-0.9-n-2020051153544-dev-herolte.

The telegram group has been talking for some time about an official “herolte” Oreo test version (Android 8.1.0) with a build date of 14.06.2020, but not about a 9-pie version. In the current “nougart” situation I would not buy another S7 “herolte” as /e/ phone.

But the Galaxy S7 is still a good smartphone, as the results show other custom roms based on Android 9 (pie= and Android 10 (Q).

You can check the OS version in the table here

I really find it incredible that /e/ S7 are still stuck with the old unsupported android 7… The most surprising is that /e/ keeps selling this model and that an update has been anounced coming very soon months ago…
Now that months have passed, could we get an honest estimated time of arrival for the update to android 9 pie for the S7, please?
I think we are many waiting for that.

2 Likes

The Oreo build is under testing should be released ASAP. Need to initiate the Pie port.

Hi Manoj,

I read on the lineageos website: " WARNING: The Samsung Galaxy S7 is no longer maintained. A build guide is available for developers that would like to make private builds, or even restart official support."

So the development of the future versions will be carried out by /e/?

Development for the S7 is being done by /e/developers even now . As long as is supported we will do the development for it.

Thanks for this information

I am using the Samsung S7 with the preinstalled /e/-OS. Last week i have installed the latest update (0.10-2020081367788). Since i have installed this update, my smartphone has crashed five times. One time i was just surfing on the internet. I am using the Mozilla Klar browser…Another time my battery was low, then i activated the energy-saving mode and started loading it with the cable. Then it restarted without warning and asked me for my smartphone pin.

Do you have an idea why it keeps on crashing since i have installed the latest OS version? Do you have a solution?

Next Wednesday i will have an important call with a customer. I would like to use my smartphone for that call. That is why i am asking. Currently, i am afraid that it will crash throughout that call.

Pl raise an issue in Gitlab with a log generated after a crash. The developers can have a look and figure out what is the reason behind the crash.

1 Like

Hi,
As I understand the Oreo build for Samsung S7 is currently a dev build and needs a manual upgrade.
In the future, will it become a stable build with automatic update for Nougat / preinstalled /e/OS like me ?

The first upgrade build is a manual install subsequent Oreo builds come OTA. For now we do not have a OTA Operating system upgrade build for any device.

I think @flopiflop is asking for the « stable » branch for /e/refurbished preinstalled

Will check if it is possible to share the stable build with all users and get back.