/e/ OS 9-Pie for Samsung Galaxy S9 "starlte" SM-G960F F/DS

e.foundation offers the first-class Samsung Galaxy S9 “starlte” as premium refurbished deGoogled /e/ phone with Or/e/o 8.1.0 /e/ for starlte dev (oreo)

Released 2018, March with stockROM Android 8.0.0, the “starlte” was upgraded to Android 9.0. Meanwhile five Android 10 firmwares are available of which the last two versions March 2020 Update and the April 2020 Security Update can no longer be downgraded to stockROM Android 9.0. Samsung is continuously expanding its security features and increasingly restricts changes to the operating system.

The LineageOS Project (LineageOS Android Distribution) had stopped support with LineageOS 15.1 (Android 8-Oreo), but reactivated it in 2020 with LineageOS 17t.1 (Android 10).

It’s getting harder and harder to buy /e/ OS-compatible S9 hardware every month because the market mechanism is pushing towards Android 10 and /e/ OS 8.1.0 Oero has compatibility problems with it.

With an unofficial build minimal eOS pie à la @harvey186 we could work against this and make it easier for all /e/ friends who are interested in a Galaxy S9 to get started with the /e/cosystem.

The interest in /e/ OS 9 pie and Galaxy S9 “starlte” is great, and /e/ needs the support of lucky and knowledgeable /e/xperts.

Therefore my request and call for participation in the project "/e/ OS 9-Pie for Samsung Galaxy S9+ “starlte” SM-G960F F/DS ".

https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s9-vs-s9-plus-same-different/

:mag_right: Search … Galaxy S9

:white_check_mark: Smartphon/e/ flashing service in the area of the Munich (MVV) upon consultation
:white_check_mark: Smartphon/e/ flashing service by DHL HERMES mail order (Bavaria, Germany, European Union (EU)
:white_check_mark: Smartphon/e/ flashing service by DHL mail order (European non-EU state;)
:white_check_mark: Smartphon/e/ flashing service by DHL International other target regions on request.
:pushpin:: First contact please by PM emessage Primary supported devices: Samsung (all) + LG G3 / G5

2 Likes

There are many /partitions on the ROM of our smartphones,

It’s certainly a little naive, but a starting point…

We are used to format /Data partition and wipe /Dalvik/ART Cache, /System, /Cache, /Data, /Internal Storage partitions.

Let’s imagine formatting, wiping, other partitions, or deleting/replacing some well chosen folders or files in order to cause a soft brick, and then restore with Heimdall, or Odin, or samfirmtool, a firmware compatible with the degradation, or just a part of a firmware, or just a partition content, coming from a friend’s device.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version),@thilo @harvey186, @andrelam, @Chimpthepimp, @smu44, @ralxx, @marcdw, @patrick, @amitkma, @Android-Andi

@GaelDuval, @arnauvp, @rhunault
How do you do with refurbished devices ?

Don’t wipe this.

This way 1000 times worked

1. FORMAT data
  2. Reboot in twrp
  3. Wipe system / cache, davlik
  4. Copy eOS.zip back to device
  5. flash eOS once more

(On a only devices. I think S9 is a/b device which work a little different)

You are too speedy @harvey186, and on to much fronts at the same time (4 telegram Chanel’s + forum, + perhaps more) and don’t have well reading the Original Post,
we are searching for a way to hack the Samsung’s restrictions to downgrade a Galaxy s9 running android 10

Ups, sorry. Yes, you are right, sometimes the ‘read across’ is not so good :frowning:

If I understand right, you looking for a way to run eOS on an device where Android 10 was installed. I would try eOS-pie-GSI. So it’s only a downgrade from 10 to 9 and only system.img is envolved. So it could work.

1 Like

When you wipe/format “data” I think it wipes/formats the Internal Storage anyway.
Internal storage is just what you can access with the Files app or by plugging the phone to a laptop. (Not 100% sure but I’m pretty confident)

I have always wiped Internal Storage and nothing went wrong.

1 Like

I have installed on my S9 /e/ Oreo.

I have received help from the community, and of course I would be pleased in exchange to support this initiative. So if I can help…

Cool, i would be for a version that has no email app, but that does have the /e/ app store, so that users can easily install new apps.
What can i do to help?

Please Can you list the partitions presents in a s9 ?

What should this be helpful for?

For Learning, because everybody want to help to solve the version downgrade issue don’t have a s9 in their hands,
My s4mini 's structure is different.

Oh well, there is a huge difference between s4mini and S9 “starlte”.

1 Like

salutehutziehen Brava! Bravo! Bravi! @harvey186

1 Like

I am wanted to ask in general how is the battery life d
For exynos versions do you see any improvement over the standard rom, I am planning to update my 3 yrs old phone or shall I just want replace the battery