/e/ OS “easy” installer: development thread about adding new devices

I don’t use an IDE jet, but i think this is better :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Now i created a script which just runs the tool and watch the script output. But that a little too time consuming. IntelliJ from jetbrains?

Yes, IntelliJ is a Jetbrains product. I use it at work, too, so I think that makes most sense for me.

Ingo are you checking this location for the scripts ?

@Manoj Yes, when I recursively check out the easy-installer, the submodule flash-scripts points to the branch “folder_per_platform”

Pl can you raise this as an issue on gitlab. I will add an easy-installer label to it. Do not want to loose all such error reports in the posts that come in the thread.

I installed IntelliJ but have this issue (also in Android Studio, on the command line i could fix it this way: ./gradlew wrapper --gradle-version 4.10.2 build)
org/openjfx/gradle/JavaFXPlugin has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 55.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0

Do you know how to fix this?

Sorry, haven’t seen this error yet. Looks like an issue with an old version of Java. I have Java 11 and IIRC that’s also listed in the requirements.

From what I understood the installer is supposed to do the unlocking (IMHO it wouldn’t make sense to provide a graphical installer but still require fastboot on the command line for unlocking). So I started with just USB debugging enabled.

Yes the idea is to unlock using a script called by easy-installer.

That’s actually something I wouldn’t worry about at the moment. I’d rather get the first steps going than already thinking about the last.

@Mystic are you also trying to add FP3 support to the installer (or a different device)?

P.S.: my gut feeling about the bootloader is to lock it at the end. That way, buying it preinstalled or using the installer gives a consistent result for those who are not tech-savvy/confident enough to use the manual command line installation. People more knowledgeable can still do it the fastboot way and then opt to not lock the phone again.
P.P.S.: I could imagine in a future version of the installer one could add a way to skip the locking step; but again, right now I want to concentrate on how to add a new device (and later how to support Windows), not feature enhancements

4 Likes

Now my issues are there:
https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/1277
https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/1276
https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/1275

How do you start Debug? I right click on EasyInstaller.java and then Debug, but that does not work. It can not find resources likes locales and other stuff. So i guess I’m doing something wrong…

grafik

In the gradle tool window, expand “Task” until you see “run” and then either left-click to run the application.
Or right-click and select “Debug” from the context menu

2 Likes

Thanks, i never noticed the tabs on the right. On elementary linux the /e/installer only works run as root. Not sure how to tell the IDE it must run as root.

I’m not aware that you can run the IDE as normal user and then start/debug the installer as root.
Looks like the entire IDE needs to be run as root/with sudo.

1 Like

Yes that helped, i can debug now. Are you able to debug without root? The behavior on Elementary OS is that the tool starts way to big and then just hangs. When running as root no problem.

Seems to be an issue with the Elementary OS. The reason why the easy-installer was delayed for a day was we tested it on Elementary OS and the display was too large - no buttons showed up. Running as root solved the display problem there. Did not face the same issue with ubuntu OS though.

1 Like

/e/ OS Installer - 12 Linux-Derivate

Arch Linux · CentOS · Debian · elementary OS · Fedora · KDE Neon · Kubuntu · Manjaro · Linux Mint · openSUSE · Red Hat Enterprise Linux · Ubuntu

one Wind°ws Edition

Even though Wind°ws is not popular here, I would like to advance the /e/ OS installer for Wind°ws host machines.

1 Like

The whole point of releasing the easy-installer code to the community was to get more developers involved in modifying and improving the code. With more OS’s and devices integrated and tested with the code base it will truly live up to its name as a easy-installer.

1 Like

I can totally understand that and would also want to work on getting it running on windows later but time is limited.

And please, please,everyone, stop posting “unrelated” things in the topics that are actually trying to get things done :wink:
Or at least stick to existing topics like /e/ OS "easy" installer: how to help packaging it to MacOS and Windows when it’s about Windows support for the installer.

2 Likes