Ecloud & email security : Opinions Please

I have 2 emails accounts :

• ProtonMail for everything that already knows my true identity (bank, university, etc)
  • Tutanota for everything else, like all little accounts where I don’t need to give my true identity (because I’m not asked to or because I can fake it).

Why not in the same provider ? Just because the option to login 2 accounts in one app is premium so I have the ProtonMail app with one free account and the Tutanota app with one free account.

I have also a file where I put every new account I create and with which email account and which data has this account (phone number, postal address, name). This way if one day I want to change one of those (email, address or phone number) I can do it within the hour. And of course I have the feeling to control where I am in the internet.

1 Like

I want to say thank you to all who have responded. I am reading your responses and digesting. I do have a free Tutanota account and if I am going to do this, I am going to do it right (meaning I will go premium on something). I will need to look into ProtonMail. I forget if they are located in the US or not, if they are it is a big negative for me.

I am debating if I want a unified inbox or if I just start a browser with multiple tabs.

I am using my e.email for certain things, but as it is still beta, I decided not to use it as my main email service.

I recently migrated from Gmail to a Mailbox.org address.
Mailbox.org is a provider with a long-time experience as a mail provider, they are reliable. Their online inbox looks clean and user friendly, they even provide an online office (similar to Google Docs) and a small cloud, everything is based on Open Source Software (from Open Exchange). Finally, I decided against Tutanota as I wanted an Email service to be usable with STMP/IMAP (Tuta is following a different concept), Mailbox.org pricing is similar to Tutanota, starting at 1€/month.

I want to say thank you to all the responses.

My final order of preference is :

1. Tutanota
  2. ProtonMail
  3. Mailbox.org (I’m still looking into everything it can and can’t do.)

The reason I went to Tutanota over ProtonMail for the moment (it was $12/yr so if I am disappointed changing is not a big deal) is that the GDPR defines what I do and do not have for expectations, whereas ProtonMail is Swiss and does not have this kind of definition in place. Granted, I am not German nor European, so my expectations may have been better met by ProtonMail as the Swiss have a well earned reputation for discretion.

On a second note, I also put myself right in a different 14 Eyes country, so there is also that, but I am starting out in the largest offender in the 5 Eyes (US).

Once again thank you to all!

Hi @sean.patzer I find myself in the exact same situation as you are last year. I went with Tutanota, the paid option, and you can so easily do a unified inbox: Check out the 5 aliases, you can have one ‘real’ address, one ‘professional’ address, and one ‘spam’ or ‘junk’ address!!

Hey Donut3 , I did see the 5 aliases and am going to use them in similar fashion as you described. Did you attempt to use the custom domain feature of tutanota ? If you did, how did it work out ? I thought I saw it as an option for the paid subscription .

And it is just Sean. I’m not hiding my name as I don’t really feel the need to as this is a forum where I am going to keep it mostly technical.

Great! I think the aliases are a great option.

No, I haven’t tried yet made the custom domain feature work, but I’m going to try. In fact, it’s pretty difficult to setup in my opinion. I already looked at it but didn’t manage to succeed with anything.

Everyone, check this out: Linagora, the chosen partner of Qwant to develop an email service, calls for a fruitful teamwork to get QwantMail off the Ground, if my translation is correct:

just saw this post and wanted to chip in (even though its probably late)
I found myself in the same situation and was torn between protonmail (swiss based btw) and /e/mail
/e/mail is much easier to set up with an external client (protonmail requires premium for access to the proton-bridge), but I could not get a clear statement from the /e/ team about encryption until at some point i found the legal notice which finally mentioned it. Given that the /e/nfrastructure is nextcloud based I checked their encryption protocol and it appears that the storage encryption for the /e/ inbox can be either user or server based, I have not gotten a reply to my question so I believe its fair to assume that the “encryption” is just a server-wide security, not a protection for the individual user.
when it comes to end-to-end encryption /e/ has no problem with the apps like openkeychain, most standard email providers can do that though

long story short:
/e/ appears to be pretty great as its independent, but if you’re after solid encrytion of your entire inbox and storage, dedicated providers like protonmail or tutanota seem like much better choices

my original post about /e/mail security

hee all, just to chip in on this: i really like /e/ email, because the organization as a whole is very privacy-based. I also like that they use Nextcloud. The combination of these two is very strong i think: we get all the possibilities and future developments of Nextcloud (all the things you might want to combine with email, e.g. calendar, tasks, document editing, maps, etc), but brought to us by an organization whose sole purpose is to create better privacy for us.
(e.g. Nextcloud is really cool and worthwhile to dive into it a bit, they are even developing a maps app!!

Security is so extreme in /e/ I am going to need help after resetting my password, what I did on my computer of course, and on my computer everything works normally, but on my phone… I entered my new password dozens of times, it cannot connect to the server anymore. I’m stopping al use of smartphone and will ask my provider a new SIM-card and return to the old “dumbphone” (classical GSM or mobile phone without Internet). So farewell Android, and Farewell /e/!

Hi Rik, are you using it with a email client like Thunderbird or directly the webmail? I found the webmail rather slow (loading time) the few times I’ve used it. takes a few seconds to open a message or change folder. And what I don’t like at all is that the webmail and my contacts are not linked so when I type the first letters of my contact in the To field, there are no suggestion being given. Also, there is something wrong with the spam filter because some of my notification emails from Gitlab fall in there.

Ah true our use case is different, I almost always use thunderbird, and there thunderbird takes care of the contacts to email sync and the spam (which is amazingly good at self learning)

Do you mean the e email service did not work? Only on desktop?

Indeed, in Thunderbird it’s great. Also the setup of an /e/ account in Thunderbird is almost automatic because it finds the imap/smtp for you.

2 Likes

Indeed, the email portion is automagical, but contacts, calendars
and tasks not so much. Those two can be confusing for the new user
to setup, especially to someone who has not done it before.

-Sean.

true, but if we write a good ‘how-to’ for that, it is fairly easily solved for everyone. Not much can go wrong if you follow the right steps.

Peter, i’m checking with the team the origin of this problem. Bear with us please.
Thanks.
Alexis

Yep, indeed. :slight_smile:

-Sean.