European Network Lock

I am considering buying an old Samsung G3 (GT 19505) - the vendor advises:

FOREIGN EUROPEAN NETWORK LOCK

Will the install process take care of this, or do I need to unlock it first (excuse the lame question).

Thanks

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Voice over 3g network is down in USA.
Voice over LTE don’t works on Samsung devices running custom ROM.

Edit :
it is “gt-i9505”, not “gt-19505”
it is “s4” not “g3”
this is my daily driver…

Thanks, its only needed for some basic apps, these would be attained using Wireless, it wont be used for gsm calling.

So with that in mind, can I simply follow the Install Doc, and that will take care of the Network Lock ?

I don’t understand that formulation.
It could be carrier locked (you need an active customer to obtain the code) unlocking has to be done from the stock firmware.

ok, do you need a special code from the manfacturer then, or be a customer of the Network ?

Thanks for correcting me, S4 an gt-i9505 - e/OS is the “jfltexx” version ?

This is not at all clear. If Europe is the intended market it should work in Europe – in this post on Region lock there is an image with a clear indication of the “intended market”.

Do you think your vendor can advise which intended market applies to the device ?

… or what he means by “Network” ?

1 Like

The text appears on an advert for the phone, I have not purchased it yet.
There appears YouTubes perporting to advise how to unlock the phone - without need to contact the Network/Carrier provider.

If one were to be sceptical of being able to unlock this phone using a YouTube, do I take it from the above comments that any phone needs to be unlocked, before you can start to install e/OS,

The bootloader was not locked on that generation of device

The bootloader was not locked on that generation of device

So does this mean that the Carrier/etwork Lock will be removed when I install ‘e/OS’ :slight_smile:

Carrier lock and Bootloader lock are different things

The devices solded standalone, were not linked to a carrier network.

Some devices were initially solded by the carrier at “special low price” associated with a 2 years mobile plan contract and devices were locked on this carrier network
they can be unlocked by the owner after 6 month if they ask for the unlock code.

If it was not already done, one can unlock the device access to network if a customer of the concerned carrier ask for the unlock code for the device (you need to specify the IMEI)

NO

Carrier Unlocking has to be done from the stock carrier firmware. BEFORE installing a custom OS.

Some time ago, it was well noticed as pre-requite in the install doc but now the caution have disapeared

https://doc.e.foundation/devices/jfltexx/install

OK, so I need to:
Carrier Unlocking has to be done from the stock carrier firmware. BEFORE installing a custom OS.

There appears YouTubes perporting to advise how to unlock the phone - without need to contact the Network/Carrier provider. Can one follow that, or has someone written up any guides to easily ‘Carrier Unlock’ an S4.

Some time ago, it was well noticed as pre-requite in the install doc but now the caution have disapeared
Why was something so fundamental and required, removed from the Install Doc. ??

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.