Fairphone 3 and /e/OS

Hey, guys,

the announcement of the partnership of /e/ with FairPhone3 should give a good visibility to the project, and I hope, the media recognition necessary for its development.

4 Likes

Hi Alexis,
What could be awesome is that thanks to this partnership, the Fairphone 3 would be sold by /e/ with bootloader locked. This would be a killing added value !

3 Likes

Great news! I think there will be a good cooperation since both companies share already a lot of values!

1 Like

Great news, I already have a Fairphone 3 and strongly support their mission, but also want to change to an open source OS that I (new to tech) could actually get working. I do have a question, maybe due to inexperience, but my FP3 is currently on Android 9 which is Pie and the installation guide clearly states that I would downgrade when installing /e/ which could brick my phone. So is my device currently not able to install/run /e/? And I should wait for an update? Perhaps stupid questions, but I was unsure whether I am understanding this correctly.

2 Likes

I was waiting for that :heart_eyes: !
Already so happy with my /e/ S7, just needed something more recent, Fairphone 3 is just perfect for that.

1 Like

Not looking for a competition but I’ll just leave this here, same thread, second post :slight_smile:

1 Like

@j8ter You are on Pie and /e/ is on Pie so no problem :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am wondering about the same. When I check my Android version on my FP3 it tells me only “Android 9”. Is this now a downgrade to Android Pie / LOS 16.x?
I was running all the updates so far (last update 5. of April. Can I follow the install install instructions without worrying about the downgrading thing?

Warning : Do not attempt to downgrade your smartphone in case you are on Android Q / LOS 17.0 or Android Pie / LOS 16.x.

Downgrading a device from Q or Pie to Oreo or Nougat operating system can cause your device to brick and become unusable.

If you are on these OS versions Please stop at this point and continue using your current Operating System.

https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP3/install

Does that mean that if our FP3 is under Android 9 we can’t install /e/? Normally all FP3 are sold with Android 9, so nobody can install it :thinking:

Does that mean that if our FP3 is under Android 9 we can’t install /e/? Normally all FP3 are sold with Android 9, so nobody can install it :thinking:

This means that anyone who has left their device under android 9 pie can safely install /e/ 9 pie directly.

Those who have upgraded their device to the android 10 Q LineageOS 17, should be very careful not to install /e/ 9 pie directly, but follow an alternative process with intermediate steps.

The documentation has to be edited, the disclaimer is inherited from an installation /e/ 7 nougat

3 Likes

I asked in the /e/ testing group and that warning text is the same for all devices which means that for some it just doesn’t apply. I think the important part is

Downgrading a device from Q or Pie to Oreo or Nougat operating system can cause your device to brick and become unusable.

For the FP3 there is no Oreo or Nougat, so you’re safe. Otherwise two dozen people would have bricked their phone in the beta testing :wink:

1 Like

Therefore this hint should be removed. It only creates uncertainty and irritation. This also applies to other devices supported by /e/ OS.

2 Likes

Installed via Mac OS without issue.
Had a little help with Adb & Fastboot via this YouTube video (more to explain terminal navigation.

Installed without any problems.
Thank-you team

1 Like

Thanks a lot for clarification! I thought already it’s not really applying to my phone. I got the phone with Android Pie and did not do any special upgrades by myself. I would suggest adjusting the text in the installation guide, too.

Thanks a lot to all the people who made this possible.

2 Likes

I’m relatively new but I’d assume https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/documentation/user is the place where to create a pull request with a better wording.

1 Like

Just let us know what the changes in the documentation should be and we will make it for you.

1 Like

/e/ documentation Install /e/ on a Fairphone FP3 - “FP3”

Warning : Do not attempt to downgrade your smartphone in case you are on Android Q / LOS 17.0 or Android Pie / LOS 16.x.

If you are on these OS versions Please stop at this point and continue using your current Operating System.

The only way you can use /e/OS is if a similar or higher /e/OS build is available for your device.

References to Andoid 7-Nougat and 8-Oreo are irrelevant for the FP 3, as the Fairphone 3 has only recently been delivered by the manufacturer with Android 9-Pie as standard.

Therefore, in my understanding, these four sections should be removed.

The internal search

Downgrading a device from Q or Pie to Oreo or Nougat operating

also shows other examples of irritated users

I have already requested that the documentation be edited for the FP3.

4 Likes

The internal search also shows other examples of irritated users:

https://ecloud.global/s/5LbnktRi4R4tnWN

1 Like

Hi @alexis and the whole /e/ team,
GREAT WORK! :+1: :fireworks:

This is really great to see, thank you for working with Fairphone and bringing this to market.

@Manoj, I don’t know who looks after the e website but the page for the FP3 with /e/OS contains photos which are clearly not of the FP3, they look more like a Galaxy (very thin bezels is obviously not the FP3):
https://e.foundation/product/e-os-fairphone-3/

@PNJ88_Beast and @Fairphoner, if we’re going to start taking credit for something which we clearly have no right to take credit for then I raise you:

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/fp3-fairphone-open-os/52301/13
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :wink:
But like I said, I don’t deserve credit for making this happen. /e/ and Fairphone and the community developers working with them do, chapeau! :tophat:

Hi @Ingo_FP_Angel nice to see you here :wave: (I’m sure there are others from the FP community here too, please excuse me for not naming you individually :smiley:)

Cheers :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes