First impressions on V.1 - power consuption & battery heat

Hello,
I’m using 1.0 on my Mi8 mobile. After the update with Advanced Privacy on I had massive power consumption. This was solved for me with deleting the cache from Bliss Launcher and removing the Orbot app. Since then it seems to have even a better power consumption than before the update.

1 Like

Hello

V1.0.1 FP3. Bug call. People hears me very badly.
Other people involved ?

Have a good day.

Hi
Same problem on my Nord :confused:

With the last update, no problem when calling people on my FP3. But it is now impossible to share my connection… when i try to enable the wifi access point, a few second later, it will be disabled… Anyone has got this problem ?

I recently installed V1.0 on a Xiaomi Redmi note 9 pro to finally upgrade from my loyal workhorse Samsung S8 running eOS 0.9. So far haven’t noticed any big issues. Installing was nice and smooth. Hardware support and battery life is excellent. I can go a whole day of normal use and still have 20 to 30% at the end of the day (I’m not heavy on social media and I only have about 25 apps installed)
Screen reaction is nice and smooth, Apps start right away and switching between them is nice.
From all the apps I have installed only one didn’t work. The Ebay Kleinanzeigen which didn’t work before 1.0, is working as well (although it kind of freezes sometimes but it’s still usable). App Lounge kind of freezes sometimes too but i prefer to use the F-Droid/Aurora combo anyway so no big deal on this.
Advance Privacy looks like a very nice tool to stay off the radar. I’d like a feature where you can completelly cut internet access to individual apps though (like Netguard style)
Kudos and thank you eOS team, your hard work was worth it :+1: :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, have a look here:

1 Like

I installed 2 days ago V1.1 battery drains on my fairphone 4 in a few hours. Before I had to charge after 2-3 days. Yesterday it was on about 80% and today it was flat. After the update I saw that it used up 10% but I thought well I was listening to music for over an hour. But then again, it did not happen before the update.

And please STOP putting up your VPN as primary connection. If it is up and running one cant access nothing and people should decide themself if they want to use it or not. I deleted it on v1.0 and then it was back with v1.1

If you want to get this addressed, please see if a corresponding issue exists in the issue tracker to add your voice, or raise an issue … https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/?search=advanced%20privacy&sort=created_date&state=opened&first_page_size=20

I’m also on FP4 with V.1.1 and it works very well. No issue with the battery. So I think you should reboot (or reset?) your device. What Apps you are using? May be that one of them is badly configured?

I am sorry for what I am writing now but I am sick of people who asume things. Really? I reboot after every new update. I dont use any special apps. Just email, browser and emby. Emby only runs, when I use it. Bluetooth is turned off after I use my headphones. So next time if you want to give suggestion remind yourself, that I am not a 0815 user. The phone is now new recharged and we will see how it is tomorrow as I have not used it at all.

Yes, as long as most of us aren’t clairvoyant and somehow know info without it being given.

Clear the cache of your mainly used apps, especially of those apps who are listed as accu consumers. I repeat this every day because many mysterious problems solve themselves this way.

Indeed I ask myself why they don’t do this automatically during every OS update, clearing the cache of all apps, that should be easy.

Good advice, @irrlicht I have changed ROM several times since v1.0 appeared. I actually cleared /data at the first install not just the standard cache (and at each stage since). To different extents, the “problem” of an app’s storage being “contaminated” keeps returning at random intervals. I hesitate to speculate but this “contamination” seems to be coming from a source not fully identified to me!

Currently I am experimenting with Companion Device Manager disabled.

Hello.

No VPN problem on my side, with Advanced Privacy disabled ( adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 foundation.e.advancedprivacy) and Tracker Control.

But checking settings I was a bit disappointed : my DNS is desabled cause ‘Use network DNS’ setting went ‘ON’ :flushed: I didn’t change this setting, using FDN from a looooong time. So it was done by an update, v1 or v1.1 I don’t know (cause I made dirty flashs > hollidays and clean install soon).

Some feedback on Teracube:

upgraded 0.23 to 1.1, lost 15% of charge since yesterday after 3 calls, data and WIFI are on, and only BBS service running, no other apps. I think with BBS off it should be even better.
I have second Teracube with 0.23 on board, it had data off and wifi on with emails and whatsup apps only. That’s not my phone but per owner’s feedback, it was without charge for about 5 days and lost about 50% by now… that seems to be discharging similarly to my 1.1.

Also, with v1.1 Advanced Privacy is hiding IP and able to open some websites (except app updates starts failing, and DDG can’t identify my IP, so I had to use other services… but that is expected), and I didn’t test maps and all the rest.

Running my Xperia Z5 Compact with V1.1 now and still cant load my emails when advanced privacy is on. Is that as it should be?
Running /e/OS on several devices now for a year and I am very happy with it so far overall, thanks for all the efforts!

It is fine, IMHO. Try to access email website with that IP and I bet it will ask for CAPTCHA or reject connection. same for your banking and utility accounts. This is normal for public VPNs, because third-party owner of that VPN is able to make man-in-middle attack and disclose your sensitive data. We may (or not) assume, that IP provided by /e/ is safe, but how would they know? the only difference between this IP masking solution and whatever browser plugin is that it is system-wide… that’s it. with browser plugin you will face with same problems.

I recently updated my Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro (apollon) from 0.23 → 1.1 and after a few days of usage it seems that higher battery usage or heat is not a problem at all.
Advanced privacy is closing spontaneous while configuring App-List (IP Masquerading), and a few apps aren’t still working (same like in v0.23 before, f. e. PayPal), but after all everything is working fine for me so far. I did a reboot after update installation and cleared cache of the most important apps like i read it here before, seems to be a good idea…

Still loosing more battery life as before. Did now the cache deletion. Before I could use my phone for 36hrs and now its just 18-24. And I have no apps running in the background. I did restart it after installing V1.1 but it seams it needed a second one. After that it is 18-24 hrs. Will be back again after a few days

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I said here one month ago I don’t have GPS location after the V1, after activate (then desactivate) advanced privacy.
Still don’t have…
I waited for the V1.1 without GPS, just in case, but it does not fix the problem
I install GPStest, see the result:

Will I ever be able to use my GPS?

Thanks