First impressions on V.1 - power consuption & battery heat

Dear Manoj,

thanks for creating that issue. I use a FP3+, e/OS/ was pre-installed. After the upgrade to v1.0 I noticed performance problems. The UI is slow when changing browser tabs, changing apps, or even writing a text. I could not notice a heavy battery drain, but the performance is worse than before. Is this kind of issue already known to you?

Best regards
Jay

3 Likes

Fairphone 3+
Advanced privacy on
Ecloud sync on

Thanks, I’ll describe all I can in this topic.

Can’t answer because my account is new, so I put it there :

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S9+.

First of all, my first boot on the V1 :

• the system automatically encrypted the device before booting, without even asking what I wanted, then it booted.
  • on the first boot, and every time after that, brightness is much lower than usual on the same settings. I have to increase it to get the same result on screen than I had before (about 75% to match previous 50%).

After that, I quickly observed a massive battery drain.
With or without Advanced Privacy, behavior seems strictly the same.
MicroG is the most consuming, every time I look at the battery monitor.
Even at night, with absolutely no applications running (I even forced them off), the estimated charging time was about twice the usual time.
But it’s not as massive all the time. This morning, I had a few hours of normal consumption : with everything off, it lost a few percents. Then it began draining it again for the rest of the day.

I had some unusual heating with no reason : in my pocket, no apps, stand-by mode with the screen off (I checked it), the phone was hotter than it should and usually is. Once, when it got hot, the battery use graph was reset, although the phone was still in my pocket and did not get any power source.

I hope this will be useful. Please let me know if you need some specific test.

1 Like

Pl share the points in the gitlab issue as well

1 Like

Fairphone 3+
Advanced privacy off
Ecloud sync off

• Not sure about the battery (1.0 installed too recently to tell);
  • Normal heat, I’d say;
  • A very noticeable change is that I generally have to wait a relatively significant amount of time for the screen to light up when pressing the lock / unlock button. Sometimes nearly two seconds. Used to be roughly twice faster, or near-instantaneous.
6 Likes

In the German part of this forum, someone used adb and found out that some file seems to be read again and again because of an error.

1 Like

Another question : did you get a brightness reduction since the update ?
Now I have to get up to about 75% if I want to have as much brightness as I got before with 50%.
On the first boot of the V1 the screen was much darker than before, and it’s still like this.

Hi everyone,
I’m on FP3+ and I’m experiencing the same issues as you Jayky, since yesterday when I installed the v1.
Also like @alice_m there’s a delay for the screen to light up when pressing the unlock button.
Besides that, this new os really have some great improvment and my bank app works again !
Hoping a new version will come out soon to fix this performance problems !

2 Likes

I’m also experience a massive battery drain on my S9+. Advanced privacy is off.

The same for me since V1 update. Huge battery drain on FP3 ( Advanced privacy is off)

As you can see, for a short time period 1 h30 minutes with no important usage (53m of deep sleep) I’ve lost 8% … => It means 5,2% per hour

Please e/Os team a fix for it please :slight_smile:

Hi there,

have the same issue even in flight-mode during the night with no open apps. The battery droped from 70% to zero. Am using a S9.

Advanced privicy I haven’t yet activated since the update.

Thanks for keep on working! Cheers

Hi, I have the same problem with my phone.

Fairphone 3+

First Advaced privacy off/TrackerControl on
After Advaced privacy on/TrackerControl off

Cloud sync off

The phone jerks and I have the impression that the battery consumption has increased, so much so that even the body is warmer.

No issues noted with my Sony.

Murena preinstalled FP4 here, no Problems noted so far.

FP4 with eOS installed aftermarket: seems no problem with the battery on v. 1, updated yesterday, only an automatic reboot today when I was reading this forum that I can’t explain. For now, I don’t have activated AP.

Hi all, exactly the same problem on my FP3… The smartphone is not very usable :confused:

2 Likes

I am not on v1.0 but I experienced that I could reduce the power consumption after I disabled the push notifications in MicroG for all apps which are not necessary. Like LinkedIn. In the most cases the notifcations have been annoying anyway. So I saved energy and my nerves.

1 Like

Hi there, thanks a lot for all your replies on this topic!

It helps not feeling alone with problems!

It looks better for me today and I also want to share it with you… Please find below what I wanted to add to my first post, to synthetise our shared experiences, but I encounred a bug on the forum while trying to edit my previous post.

PS = thank you also @Manoj for the creation of a gitlab issue, I will try to contribute on sharing my experience through it during next WE.

EDIT 02/06/2022 : after a reboot of my phone yesterday evening, and a full battery charge during the night, the battery consumption is very reasonable again :slight_smile:

I’ll keep you updated of my experience, but please try a reboot like I do, it’s free and easy !

Screenshot just before I wrote this topic (while encountering the problem) :

With more details

Screenshot after a return-to-normal use today (after just a reboot and a complete charge) :

With more details

Resumee of all answers by 02/06/2022 at 22:45 pm (UTC+2)

User Name Device Battery drain ? Comments Advanced Privacy Ecloud
legrec14 Samsung S9 Yes Seems fixed after a reboot Yes then No No
cad-forge Fairphone 3 Yes Yes Yes
Dave1 Pixel No
Hymix Poco X3 Pro No
Shakatus Fairphone 4 No
petitevielle Samsung S9+ Yes Other performance problems
Cyberponcho Samsung S8 No
Jayky Fairphone 3+ No Other performance problems
alice_m Fairphone 3+ No Other performance problems No No
GillesMcFly Fairphone 3+ No Other performance problems
Polli Samsung S9+ Yes No
benjig Fairphone 3 Yes No
Jonte Samsung S9 Yes No
Silicio Fairphone 3+ Yes Yes then No No
Taurus Sony No
winkman Fairphone 4 No
jobal Fairphone 4 No
Sebastien Fairphone 3 Yes
4 Likes

Nice table, put me in as well :smile:.
FP3+; no drain; no other performance problems; AP blocks trackers, but no loc or IP; no /e/-cloud, but self hosted Nextcloud

1 Like

I would suggest users add their comments on this issue in the Gitlab
The developers can then interact with you and get further inputs where required.

3 Likes