First impressions on V.1 - power consuption & battery heat

Good advice, @irrlicht I have changed ROM several times since v1.0 appeared. I actually cleared /data at the first install not just the standard cache (and at each stage since). To different extents, the “problem” of an app’s storage being “contaminated” keeps returning at random intervals. I hesitate to speculate but this “contamination” seems to be coming from a source not fully identified to me!

Currently I am experimenting with Companion Device Manager disabled.

Hello.

No VPN problem on my side, with Advanced Privacy disabled ( adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 foundation.e.advancedprivacy) and Tracker Control.

But checking settings I was a bit disappointed : my DNS is desabled cause ‘Use network DNS’ setting went ‘ON’ :flushed: I didn’t change this setting, using FDN from a looooong time. So it was done by an update, v1 or v1.1 I don’t know (cause I made dirty flashs > hollidays and clean install soon).

Some feedback on Teracube:

upgraded 0.23 to 1.1, lost 15% of charge since yesterday after 3 calls, data and WIFI are on, and only BBS service running, no other apps. I think with BBS off it should be even better.
I have second Teracube with 0.23 on board, it had data off and wifi on with emails and whatsup apps only. That’s not my phone but per owner’s feedback, it was without charge for about 5 days and lost about 50% by now… that seems to be discharging similarly to my 1.1.

Also, with v1.1 Advanced Privacy is hiding IP and able to open some websites (except app updates starts failing, and DDG can’t identify my IP, so I had to use other services… but that is expected), and I didn’t test maps and all the rest.

Running my Xperia Z5 Compact with V1.1 now and still cant load my emails when advanced privacy is on. Is that as it should be?
Running /e/OS on several devices now for a year and I am very happy with it so far overall, thanks for all the efforts!

It is fine, IMHO. Try to access email website with that IP and I bet it will ask for CAPTCHA or reject connection. same for your banking and utility accounts. This is normal for public VPNs, because third-party owner of that VPN is able to make man-in-middle attack and disclose your sensitive data. We may (or not) assume, that IP provided by /e/ is safe, but how would they know? the only difference between this IP masking solution and whatever browser plugin is that it is system-wide… that’s it. with browser plugin you will face with same problems.

I recently updated my Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro (apollon) from 0.23 → 1.1 and after a few days of usage it seems that higher battery usage or heat is not a problem at all.
Advanced privacy is closing spontaneous while configuring App-List (IP Masquerading), and a few apps aren’t still working (same like in v0.23 before, f. e. PayPal), but after all everything is working fine for me so far. I did a reboot after update installation and cleared cache of the most important apps like i read it here before, seems to be a good idea…

Still loosing more battery life as before. Did now the cache deletion. Before I could use my phone for 36hrs and now its just 18-24. And I have no apps running in the background. I did restart it after installing V1.1 but it seams it needed a second one. After that it is 18-24 hrs. Will be back again after a few days

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I said here one month ago I don’t have GPS location after the V1, after activate (then desactivate) advanced privacy.
Still don’t have…
I waited for the V1.1 without GPS, just in case, but it does not fix the problem
I install GPStest, see the result:

Will I ever be able to use my GPS?

Thanks

It will probably not help but … I have, with this app and others.

Today, 28-07-22 installed latest update /e/OS 1.2-20220725206061 on booth our Fairphone 3.
Much better, battery live seems to be good. Every app works, only with advanced privacy slower. Internet also slower but safe I think.

Soo it is as I was suspecting. 1.1 update got another 1.1 update and now 1.2 and since then battery coverage is back to 3 days or more.

Thank you Murena Team for you ongoing hard work.

4 Likes

On xiaomi redmi note 8t, battery drain issue still persists on v. 1.2

On the FP4 the issues still perist on the newest version…

Update : I recently upgraded to 1.3 and it rocks! It’s smoother, faster and (still) very resource efficient.
The ebay Kleinanzeigen app is working properly now and the app store came to the point where I’m uninstalling aurora store. In a nutshell, its a huge improvement. Kudos /e/OS team :metal:

1 Like