Galaxy S7 in the U.S.A. (by a newb)

I live in the U.S. and wish to get started with /e/

I am not skilled with tech, but by faith I just ordered a Galaxy S7, G930F, GSM phone (arriving Feb 3-8). I will try to see if I can figure out how to get /e/ installed on it.

The reason I am posting, is (1) to let other non-technical newbs know how it went, and (2) to ask for help if I run into problems.

Feel free to give advise, especially if you were successful with /e/ in the U.S.

The goal is for this thread to become a how-to thread—fingers crossed:crossed_fingers:

My name’s Dan

Hi Dan,
the S7 ‘herolte’ is still a good phone but the support from /e/ for the S7 is wearing thin. It’s currently running /e/ OS ‘Oreo’ AOSP Android 8.1.0 from Dec 8, 2020 and it’s not on the 2021 migaration list. The once premium ePhone has also been delisted from https://esolutions.shop/de/. Your plan will unfortunately fall by the wayside.

There are good alternatives such as unofficial LineageOS 17.1 or experiments with GSI ROM, but a device-specific /e/ ROM ‘Q’ would be the non plus ultra.

Hi @faithc, welcome to /e/Land

Since June 2020,
The s7 could run an unofficial /e/ Pie build

Awaiting for a Q version

@piero, just read over what you don’t want to hear and seeing… The reality, the truth, is not always pleasant. And I’ll leave whitewashing and misplaced links to others.

I picked the S7 because it is among six devices recommended here: https://doc.e.foundation/easy-installer

Oh, well. I’ll try and let you know how it goes :slight_smile:

Yes, I understand. Not too long ago, the Samsung Galaxy S6 'zerofltexx’ was also on this list. It has since been removed from the list. But there are good working LOS. 171 alternatives that are even suitable as ‘daily drivers’. No deGoogled /e/ OS but the phones will continue to be supplied with current Android security patches 2021.

I’m happy to hear that you are using /e/ on S7, so there’s hope for me :grinning:

The s7 is fully compatible, on it, you can install :
Stable Oreo with the easy installer
Dev Oreo manually
Unofficial Pie manually

1 Like

If you were replying to me, I’m not actually using /e/ on an S7. Like the OP, I want to install /e/ on the S7, but I currently have LineageOS 17.1 installed and running on it. Lineage works smoothly, but I want the de-googled aspect of /e/, as I suspect most people do that are drawn to it.
Hopefully I’ll be running /e/ on my S7 soon.

1 Like

I’m using an sm-g930f / herolte albeit mainly in Canada. I installed /e/ before there was an EasyInstaller. I’m curious to hear what your experience is like!

1 Like